16v kr timing, is this right??

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
RoccoGuy
fill in the right answer: 10

16v kr timing, is this right??

Post by RoccoGuy »

i'm just fitting my scirocco engine mounts to my KR lump and thought i'd do the cam belt while i've got it all in bits, so before taking the belt off i set the timing mark on the fly wheel to the correct marking but the cam marking is slightly out, its not a full tooth out just between the two teeth, it ran fine like it but is there any reason it could be out? would it make any difference to the running of it? it seemed fine when i test drove it, or am i just making a mounting out of a mole hill?

there were photos to go with this but it won't let me post them from my photobucket account, it says ''It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.'' :zombie:

Boumsong

Re: 16v kr timing, is this right??

Post by Boumsong »

Don't worry about it, you get a few degrees each way anyway.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

ok thanks mate :cool:

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

If you want it to be absolutely perfect though, after market cam pulleys offer better adjustment than standard ones. And they come in funky colors :D

RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

i've seen vernier pulleys on quite a few cars, i thought they were more for highly tuned engines, would one make much difference on a otherwise standard lump?

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Wouldn't make much difference at all if I'm honest. They're mainly used on modified engines to retard the timing to prevent knock/pinking, generally that's coupled with an after market ECU unit as well though.

One would be useful if you gave the head a bit of a skim, get it worked and flowed and use a more aggressive cam.