overheating...confussed

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
graeme

overheating...confussed

Post by graeme »

ryte i serviced my car today, new thermostat and that was included...but i'm having a problem with overheating, the gauge was fine with no problems i ran it up and got it hot after it had all been done and it was spot on, fan kicked in and everything, then i took it out tonight and the gauge went mad and went straight to the top. could this be the water pump??? i've just had the headgasket done, changed the fan swith, new coolant and thermostat....any ideas please????

Boumsong
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: overheating...confussed

Post by Boumsong »

I'd get the water pump checked if I where you. I had a similar issue, the needle went mental and showed full temperature..Ended up cooking the head and ruining the engine.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
graeme

Post by graeme »

the thing i dont understand is when i was filling the expansion tank with coolant the water was circulating perfectly???? so surely it cant be the water pump? or can it???

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Easy way to test it pull the filler pipe to the tank off whilst it's running, obviously keeping good fluid levels when doing this. If it's no the water pump I'd check all the wiring associated with the new thermostat, it could be a bad earth somewhere.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Very possible that you have an air lock in the cooling system mate. When you refill the coolant after draining, you need to make sure the heater is set to hot, to avoid any air locks. You can also remove one of the temperature sensors from the flange in the cylinder head, when filling the system, as this is one of the highest points in the cooling system, and any air trapped will be forced out.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Try taking of the top hose of the radiator at the rad end (the one that goes straight into the head) and fill that with water/antifreeze till it starts to come back out of the hose, as it sound like an air lock as markh said make sure the heater is on hot. Also check to see if the heater is blowing out hot air once the car is running.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323