Size of radiator

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Size of radiator

Post by mark1gls »

I brought a new Radiator for My Golf of e-bay as mine has started to crack on the plastic by the top hose, the only problem is that the new one has got a thinner core than the VW one fitted (its only approx 22mm wide the VW one is Approx 35mm) its was listed on e-bay for the DX engine so will I have a problem fitted the new one or am I worring out nothing??

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Slumdogscala

Re: Size of radiator

Post by Slumdogscala »

Hi Mark, it's not unusual for aftermarket radiators to be thinner than the original 80's ones. It's partly because cooling technology has improved and partly because the aftermarket ones are not over-engineered in the way that the original vw ones are.
If all the mounting points and hose outlets are the right size and in the right place then I would fit it and stop worrying. :ok:

89 scala inj.
86 ur quattro
83 chevette rally car (work in progress)
69 alfa 1750 gtv (work in progress)