Lightened Flywheel

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Lightened Flywheel

Post by Risocco »

Ahh, no worries. Cheers for the input. I'll put it on the "to do" list for now! Still fancy getting it done, but at a later date.

Thanks again guys

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Akinesis

Post by Akinesis »

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in on this, but it's something I'm looking to do at the end of this year :hugegrin:

So, just to make sense of this - at the same time as lightening the flywheel I will need the crank and clutch balanced with it, too? My 'Rocco is purely for the track so from reading this thread it'll be worth my while looking into this sooner rather than later!

Cheers all

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
GTI

Post by GTI »

I have a lightened flywheel on my Mk1, with the 1.6 GTI engine. Throttle response is amazing! Maybe slightly more vibration from the engine at idle, but once moving it is just as smooooth, really responsive to throttle blips, revs up almost instantly. Too much fun!

Akinesis

Post by Akinesis »

I'm looking forward to it already :groove:

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Risocco »

GTI wrote:I have a lightened flywheel on my Mk1, with the 1.6 GTI engine. Throttle response is amazing! Maybe slightly more vibration from the engine at idle, but once moving it is just as smooooth, really responsive to throttle blips, revs up almost instantly. Too much fun!
Was that with a ballanced bottom end too dude? Or just the flywheel?

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
GTI

Post by GTI »

Just flywheel, crank, clutch etc are all balanced to themselves