tensioner idler pulley bolt woes.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

tensioner idler pulley bolt woes.

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi all, hope you’re in good shape at this time.
I’m having a problem trying to get the double ended bolt to thread cleanly into the engine casting. The thread looks damaged so I’ve been trying to repair it, even sawing off the first two two threads. And it still won’t play ball. The other end of the thread that holds the tensioner is fine it’s just the thread to the engine. So since it’s now toast, do I source another new one or do I re-use the old one! What would you do? Remember the vw dealers seem to be closed at the moment.
I bought the continental brand of timing belt kit if that makes a difference.

Cheers in advance.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
unknownmale

Re: tensioner idler pulley bolt woes.

Post by unknownmale »

The stud you need is - n90296401

Comes with some timing belt kits. Run a thread chaser into the hole first, blow it out with air then use the double nut method or a stud installer to put it in.

- David
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Brilliant cheers matey, I used the double nut method to release the old stud. Didn’t know I could use the same method to reinstall. Will look around for a new stud... thanks again[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I reused the stud I had because the new stud was U/S. I tried to repair the threads on the new stud but it couldn’t be saved so binned it. With the lockdown local vets dealership is closed.
New timing belt, tensioner, washer and nut fitted. Had to use strobe light to retune dizzy, and all seems to be ok. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......