mk2 8v correct running temp and cooling fan issues

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

mk2 8v correct running temp and cooling fan issues

Post by scirocco_ne »

Our mk2 seems to run on the hot side.

It sits about 2/3rd as oppose to halfway and maintains perfectly but i suspect a rat is a stray with some thing.

Since owning the car i noticed the cooling fan was knocking its brains out and catching the cowling. So i got a new used fan.. Happy days all was well.

Now 2 months later the new fan is death rattling at times aswell and i am wondering if under bonnet temps have nailed its bearings like the last one.

The car has a ticking/tapping under the bonnet at times so i am wondering is the waterpump breaking down and thus causes temp rises/ some noise.

How do my gauge readings sound? It seems to high to me.

Thanks
Mick

GT_II

Re: mk2 8v correct running temp and cooling fan issues

Post by GT_II »

The needle on mine also sits right of centre when the engine is warm. I've seen no signs of overheating and suspect this may be normal.

The instruction manual says when the car is driven normally. the needle should settle down somewhere in the main zone. It doesn't say whereabouts. When the engine is working hard, it says the needle may move well over to the right and not to worry as long as the warning light in the temperature gauge does not flash. To test the warning lamp, it flashes for a few seconds when you switch on the ignition.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by blakey »

Centre of the gauge is ideal. My previous GTX used to run hot all the time, it never overheated, but despite new radiator, water pump and thermostat it was always the same.
Conversely my current Scala injection, always runs cool, despite have a smaller carb radiator fitted (previous owners work), in traffic the temp can go up to the middle of the gauge, the fan cuts in and it cools again. As the heater puts out good heat, I'm not overly concerned.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Always worth checking your radiator cap as the old black ones can cause problems?

Danny
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Thanks for the replies. It doesnt seem to have any temp or coolant issues at all. It just runs hotter than i expected.

Maybe i will try a new stat as a starting point. Its done 140k so the water pump may need a. change anyway to be safe.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Check the coolant sensor, depending on what year car you have it should be near the head on the radiator top hose outlet.

Might be like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1- ... xy79JRhiNy

Or this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk1- ... SwhMFZbSRY

Could just be the sensor is over reading...

You can check the thermostat is working and opening up by running the car and feel if the bottom radiator hose gets hot last.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

mark1gls wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:48 pm Check the coolant sensor, depending on what year car you have it should be near the head on the radiator top hose outlet.

Might be like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1- ... xy79JRhiNy

Or this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk1- ... SwhMFZbSRY

Could just be the sensor is over reading...

You can check the thermostat is working and opening up by running the car and feel if the bottom radiator hose gets hot last.

I will give it a check thanks, are the non oem sensors acceptable for temp reading?

Thanks
Mick

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

As a general rule, all of these first generation of water-cooled VW's (i.e. 1974 - 1992 Polos, Golfs, Jettas and Sciroccos) tend to run quite a hot and it doesn't take long for the cooling fan to kick-in if the car is idling or moving slowly in stop-start traffic.

When running in top gear, on a level and at a constant, sensible speed, the temp gauge on the Scirocco should be between half-way and just to the right of the LED on the gauge.

The thing to remember is that all of our cars are very old now. Whilst you're right to check the timing and renew things like the water-pump, radiator and cooling sensors (use genuine VW parts, as the pattern stuff might as well be made of chocolate in my view), the engine water jacket could be suffering from furring-up (hard water areas) or corrosion if G10/G11 antifreeze hasn't been used and refreshed regularly. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the pink G12/G13 antifreeze, or you'll suffer the consequences eventually of random leaks and damage to the headgasket. Best to give the system a good flushing through as well.

Is you car on its original headgasket? Many are. Not suggesting that you change it, but at the age of these cars it's to be expected that the gasket can swell and fur-up a little around the holes in it to allow the cooling water to pass between the block and the head. This restricts flow slightly leading to higher temps. If the 'gasket hasn't gone, then I'd suggest leaving alone until it does.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

hiltow wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm As a general rule, all of these first generation of water-cooled VW's (i.e. 1974 - 1992 Polos, Golfs, Jettas and Sciroccos) tend to run quite a hot and it doesn't take long for the cooling fan to kick-in if the car is idling or moving slowly in stop-start traffic.

When running in top gear, on a level and at a constant, sensible speed, the temp gauge on the Scirocco should be between half-way and just to the right of the LED on the gauge.

The thing to remember is that all of our cars are very old now. Whilst you're right to check the timing and renew things like the water-pump, radiator and cooling sensors (use genuine VW parts, as the pattern stuff might as well be made of chocolate in my view), the engine water jacket could be suffering from furring-up (hard water areas) or corrosion if G10/G11 antifreeze hasn't been used and refreshed regularly. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the pink G12/G13 antifreeze, or you'll suffer the consequences eventually of random leaks and damage to the headgasket. Best to give the system a good flushing through as well.

Is you car on its original headgasket? Many are. Not suggesting that you change it, but at the age of these cars it's to be expected that the gasket can swell and fur-up a little around the holes in it to allow the cooling water to pass between the block and the head. This restricts flow slightly leading to higher temps. If the 'gasket hasn't gone, then I'd suggest leaving alone until it does.

The car is original hg i suspect @142k and i will perhaps do a coolant flush to see what comes out.

Another part of the story is the radiator fan. When i got the car it was knocking its brains out... Fitted a used one from a friend... 3 months later and this one is now a rattle box too. Am i unlucky or are under bonnet temps drying the bearings out and killing them off?

The guy worked for vw (sales) i got it from and was a bull merchant to be fair as it was not as described. Im wondering if he knew about this. It drives perfectly, never overheats and sits just past the red led as you said.

I really need to get a new stat in asap i suppose and see what the effect is.

Do i buy a brand new fan aswell this time so i have warranty?

This is the Mrs's daily so i want it sorted asap. If the fan fails its goodnight Vienna isnt it so i guess i will have to act quick.

Thanks
Mick

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

What type of fan do you have as there are 2 types, 2 pins or 3 pins?
It’s hard to get hold of older 2 pin fans as later car had 3 pins fan as they had 2 speeds.

Normal open road driving the fan should not need to work it’s only when stopped in traffic the fan should kick in but at this time of year it takes a good 5 mins standing before the fan kicks in.....

You can test the fan by shorting out the 2 connections on the thermostat switch attached to the radiator.

Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

To resurrect this thread we definitely have a problem here :-(

After the second rad fan i have fitted failed i purchased a brand new one....

6 weeks later and the new fan is starting to squeak when spun by hand.

So i am definitely seeing premature fan bearing failure but why? Is it running too often? are my under bay temps too high for some reason?

I am confused unless it has potential Hg and the fan is all that's keeping it from overheating?

It has used a very small amount of coolant over the past few months but has now cap mayo. It does smoke when sat running and reved but i thought it was more blue.

The hoses do feel reasonably pressurised when its warm though and extremely hot to touch along with everything on the coolant system. I know thats normal but it does seem maybe hoter than usual thus the reason for this thread starting.

Any ideas appreciated once again :-D

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have you got the fan running/spinning the right way?
It's meant to pull the air into the engine bay not blow it at the radiator.

Lots of short journeys will create mayo on the oil filler cap.

You can buy head gasket leak kits on eaby or a good garage should have the equipment to "sniff" the coolant for signs of oil.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-1-COMBUST ... 2f21f44ddf

Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 am Have you got the fan running/spinning the right way?
It's meant to pull the air into the engine bay not blow it at the radiator.

Lots of short journeys will create mayo on the oil filler cap.

You can buy head gasket leak kits on eaby or a good garage should have the equipment to "sniff" the coolant for signs of oil.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-1-COMBUST ... 2f21f44ddf
I will check the fan direction bud but its on the original plug so if its backwards captain conman i got it offs been at it again.

He had hidden a bust fan when i got it with wd40 or whatever

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

The fans running the right way it seems so its not something as simple