MK1 GTI 1.6 EG engine/s

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
fullblast
fill in the right answer: 15

MK1 GTI 1.6 EG engine/s

Post by fullblast »

Hi guys,

I'm new here so if this topic is in not right section please take to where it should be :)

I bought MK1 without engine and only later found out that it's Scirocco GTI '78 . So now i'm looking for a complete engine with wirring, injection system...everything.
Found engine in Golf MK1 '81. Next week will go to check it.

So my question would be. Did VW make different (small modifications) EG engines depending on years? Was everything the same in early GTI and later GTI?
I know i need to check for EG code on engine and cooler hose must be connected between 1 and 2 cylinders (not 3 and 4 like in DX)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK1 GTI 1.6 EG engine/s

Post by mark1gls »

Same engine in Mk1 golf, I think VW did start to change the injection system from 84 ish onwards so you should be ok with a 81 car. Just check the engine code.

Do you have the fuel pump and accumulator underneath the rear of the car near the rear beam and Gti fuel lines on the car?

Do you still have the fuse box in the car and what type of fuses do you have, bullet type of blade type?

You could fit a 1.8 engine in the car then you would get more low down torque as the 1.6 needs to be reved to get the power out of it, the 1.8 is the same basic engine block.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
fullblast

Post by fullblast »

I bought only bare shell with chassis, some spare doors, windows, panel, steering wheel and gearbox :) maybe some old pump and accumulator is in the trunk (need to check) i think no fuel lines under the car, need to check under the car.
Also need to check some boxes which were given by previous owner, maybe i find something usefull

At the moment i want to make it as much as possible closer to original, but if i can't find/buy most of parts it will become frankenstein :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Running gear and fueling are all available as same stuff as Mk1 Golf. Is there a fuel tank fitted to the car? Original smaller VW Gti fuel tanks are now hard to find and the new repo ones are not as good, the in tank swirl pot is rubbish and you can suffer from fuel starvation if cornering quickly if tank is below 1/4....

The fuel system runs at a high pressure compared to a lot of cars so you need to make sure you use the right stuff.

You will have to start a build thread in the project section and post up some pictures etc, you will need to upload directly to this website or us the Tapatalk app or a hosting site like flicker now photobucket is stopping all 3rd party links....

Links some places selling parts...
http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/SelectArea.htm

http://www.classic-vw.co.uk

https://www.vwheritage.com

German based company for those hard to find parts, they speak good English
https://www.werk34.de

Membership No. 323
fullblast

Post by fullblast »

Thanks for the links.

Got pictures of engine today...It's DX 1.8 engine. So probably i will not take it, a lot of parts are missing, completely rusted (crazy look) and not so cheap. Contacted one more guy who might have EG.

all other parts (injection system, intake manifold) around engines DX and EG are the same?

fullblast

Post by fullblast »

First i will make build thread of scirocco mk2. It's first in line :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The pretty much the same, a few slight changes as the years went on with anti stall devices, air shroud fuel injectors, bigger fuel filters, different oil coolers (older engines are air cooled, later cars are water cooled) Can’t think of anything just yet but basic stuff the same.

If you can get the eairly exhaust manifold, the type with 6 studs holding the down pipe on as much better design than the toilet bowl type with big C clips holding the down pipe on.
I believe the inlet manifold is the same.

Have a look at GTXRA Gti for pics of engine bay etc.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21099

Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:
If you can get the eairly exhaust manifold, the type with 6 studs holding the down pipe on as much better design than the toilet bowl type with big C clips holding the down pipe on.
apart from there is no flex in the down pipe so your middle section will hit the floor.
make sure you check it out before fitting as ive currently got this issue on my mk2

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!