Engine dies on start up

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Engine dies on start up

Post by Jerry Atric »

So there I was ready to drive out of my parking slot, reversed the car and then the engine dies. Try to restart, no luck, pump the throttle a few times and the pedal falls to the floor. Investigate and find the rubber bush at the top of the throttle pedal has disintegrated into a mass of powdered rubber.

Get the car back into the parking slot and try to restart the engine....cranks ok but no sign of firing up.

Leave it for 5 minutes and then go back and try again. This time it fires , but dies immediately. Investigate all connections electrical and otherwise, and the symptom does not clear.

Undo a pipe from the fuel filter and plenty of fuel pees out so not thinking fuel starvation at the moment....

Another idea is the ignition switch maybe? But that doesn't explain why sometimes it'll fire up for a second and then die, and at other times not even fire up at all. ( engine is cranking ok )

Two problems within a minute , one solvable if I can wait for a month for a part to come from China whilst the other one is leaving me slightly baffled.

Any help gratefully received again.
Last edited by Jerry Atric on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownmale

Re: Engine dies on start up

Post by unknownmale »

Is it an injection or carb'd car?

- David
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

GTX, injection. sorry i should have mentioned that.

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Jeez, I'm getting dumb....it sounded like an electrical issue as the engine died as the key was released from the start position, but this afternoon, decided it might just be fuel and of course it was simple.....the fuse had blown on the electric fuel pump. Of course that does raise the question of why it should have done, but anyway, its up and running again. Sorry for wasting anyones time.

DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by DannyH »

Make sure you carry a spare relay just in case.

Danny
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Try and get a Mk2 golf accelerator bush, they are made from a harder rubber compared to the Mk1 golf/scirocco bush which if made from a sort of foam, GSF used to sell them but I can't seem to find them on there web site, last I bought last years was all of 56p, might be worth a phone call to see if they still stock them.
You may need to smear a little grease on the bush to push it home.

Make sure the cable is adjusted properly, remove the clip which holds the cable in the rubber bush in the engine bay, get some one to press the pedal to the floor and open up the throttle body full by hand and pull the cable till it's tight and replace the clip, you may find there is not some slack in the pedal but if it's to tight when you floor it, it will just pull the cable out of the pedal.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Found a part number and vw heritage are selling some.
https://www.vwheritage.com/191721559-bu ... golf-84-91

Mk2 golf part number
191 721 559

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Hi Mark, many thanks for all those good tips , I've ended up ordering a new bush from veedubmachine which should be here tomorrow. The original one was as soft as a piece of cheddar cheese and just disintegrated . Also have ordered one from China , just out of interest as its only about £2.25 I think, whilst the one sourced locally will cost about £12 including VAT and postage to me . :-o

Great tip about setting up the throttle cable, thanks.

And think I may carry a couple of relays , altho' obviously if it keeps blowing, it must be indicative of a fault, maybe wearing out or being gummed up after being standing around for 19 years.

bensspares

Post by bensspares »

Check the connections to the aav. I had this issue and it turned out to be a electrical short through perished wire touching the aav body.

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!