Rocker Cover Gasket

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
nolegjoe
fill in the right answer: 15

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by nolegjoe »

Hi All,

I've got a leaky rocker cover gasket. Bought a new one from Euro Car Parts and opted for a rubber and metallic gasket over the cork original as I hear it's a massive improvement. I also hear I need to change the studs that hold it in place as the original studs for the cork are no good. Someone else suggested giving up with studs all together and getting 35mm m6 socket head screws. So, which do I need, and were's a good place to buy?

Also, any helpful tips for someone new to mechanics? Do I need any additional sealant, or will the gasket seal dry?

Thanks,

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by essextom »

you are correct the original cork gasket studs have a shoulder which wont allow the rubber gasket to seal correctly. sometimes the rubber gaskets come with the new correct studs, if so i would fit them. if not bolts can be used. do not use any sealant as bits break off and clog up the oil pic up and filter etc.. make sure you dont tighten the gasket nuts/bolts too tight as it will crease the gasket and make sure they are all evenly tightened.

nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

My gasket arrived without any studs in the package, so I may just opt for bolts. Are these the correct one? http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/socket-screws/0293375/

Also, any tips for removing the old studs? Do you need any special tools?

Thanks

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Hey Alan,

I think i've got a spare set of studs somewhere, If I find them i'll drop them over and leave them on your car on the way to work. I would use these rather than using some bolts as the shoulder in them will stop you from over torquing the rocker cover and distorting it.

The old studs can be tough to remove, I'd recommend warming the car up a bit before attempting it as they come out easier when warm.

Best tool is a proper set of vise grips. If not then you can use the double nut method, but as they're only m6 (I think) you'll have limited success with that.

- David
nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

You're too good to me, David. Did you want any money for those?

Possibly stupid question, with the old studs out, I can just use the existing nuts to tighten the rocker cover down? Or do I need new nuts?

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Nah that's alright!

Yeah they're same thread pitch and size.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Couldn't find them unfortunately, Will have another look and let you know if they appear.

If not you can buy this febi kit which comes with the studs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-OEM-Qual ... SwARZXkLGn

- David
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

I bought that Febi kit and it all fits nicely! I'm replacing the nuts n mine anyway just because I want to, but the old ones fit.

Clean that gauze out for the breather pipe whilst the cover is off. I did mine the old "pour some petrol in, set it on fire and let the sludge run out" way.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 I6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

Will go with the Febi and keep the other one I bought from Euro Car Parts as a spare. Thanks for looking for the studs, David!

Another (probably) stupid question. How do I get the new studs in? I wouldn't want to use vicegrips as they might damage the threads, so is there a slot for a screwdriver in one end? Which way around do they go? Also, what's with the 4 extra long studs in the picture? Is is really obvious where they go?

Thanks all.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Liam, You might already have the new studs on. the old ones are slightly raised, if you use the old ones with the rubber gasket it'll just leak as it'll stop it from sealing.

You should be able to just screw them in by hand, they'll tighten more when you have the nuts on. I didn't use the 4 longer ones myself, think its more for a mk2 golf thing, might be wrong though. They could come in handy for the two closest to the cambelt cover and the two bolts holding the vapour separator...But you don't need them. Done this gasket swap on 3 mk2's and never used them.

- David
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

I have a set if studs if needed. When I did my gasket I changed to hex head bolts. Some studs were hard to remove. I used some heat and stilsons.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

To remove the studs screw on 2 nuts (you can use the nuts that already hold the cover on) get 2 10mm spanners and lock the 2 nuts together, unscrew the stud using the bottom nut as that will lock onto the top nut.
To get the studs back in lock the 2 nuts and the stud and screw the stud in using the top nut, they don't need to be done up very tight as they are only thin and in aluminium.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

unknownmale wrote:Liam, You might already have the new studs on. the old ones are slightly raised, if you use the old ones with the rubber gasket it'll just leak as it'll stop it from sealing.

You should be able to just screw them in by hand, they'll tighten more when you have the nuts on. I didn't use the 4 longer ones myself, think its more for a mk2 golf thing, might be wrong though. They could come in handy for the two closest to the cambelt cover and the two bolts holding the vapour separator...But you don't need them. Done this gasket swap on 3 mk2's and never used them.
Sorry I meant the nuts not the studs themselves, like you said the new studs have a blank piece in the middle as apposed to the raised bit on the old ones, assumed they all needed changing. I had to get a decent set of mole grips to get the studs out as mine looked original and had been in there some time!

New ones went in hand tight with a dab of copper grease.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 I6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

Okay, thanks everyone. One last thing, is it possible to put the studs in upside down? Or are they equal length either side?

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

nolegjoe wrote:Okay, thanks everyone. One last thing, is it possible to put the studs in upside down? Or are they equal length either side?
Nah, they're equal, other than the four extended ones. If you use them the smaller side goes into the head

- David