Engine out, Clutch and Cambelt, anything else?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
liam_0404
fill in the right answer: 15

Engine out, Clutch and Cambelt, anything else?

Post by liam_0404 »

The clutch is slipping and the cambelt needs doing on my 1.6 GT. I was planning to take the engine and gearbox completely out (drop engine on pallet and lift car up) and change these parts as i'll have better access etc. I'm also wanting to tidy the bay up so would be a good time to do this. I've seen a few posts on removing the engine but anyone got any tips?

I'll split the cambelt in 2 and change it this way, but do I need an alignment tool for the clutch change?

And also is there anything else worth doing whilst the engine is out? (lower strut brace, downpipe etc)

Liam

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 I6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
unknownmale

Re: Engine out, Clutch and Cambelt, anything else?

Post by unknownmale »

You really don't need to remove the engine from the bay to do the cambelt or the clutch. You'll always need a clutch alignment tool when fitting a new clutch or you'll be pissing about for ages trying to mate the gearbox and engine back up. Cambelt is probably the easiest to change than any other car.

You don't need any special tools other than something to turn the tensioner. I fine 90 degree snap ring pliers work fine, or you can buy the tensioner tool on eBay for about a tenner.

If you are going to remove the engine to work on the engine bay, then you might as well do all the seals on the engine too, no special tools needed again, although pulley pliers make everything much easier, and perhaps some picks and a large exhaust clamp to use remove the c clamps from the manifold (Thats the part I had the most as you'll be doing it with the inlet and exhaust manifold still attached to the head.

Personally I'd leave it in the car though.

- David
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

Thanks for the reply. I've heard the cambelt is a lot less scary than people think, just used to "oh no not cambelt you'll bend everything if you get it wrong"!

Thinking about it now there is so much room in the engine bay I could probably do all everything I want to with the engine still in.

I might see if my friendly garage will line the clutch up for me for beer tokens then!

Saved me some hassle by the sounds!

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

- David
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

Cheers, I assume the first one acts like a locator, whereas the second one is more of a guide tool?

I have a Sachs Clutch kit and release bearing, but would I need anything else, like oil to go in the housing (sorry if that's a stupid question, clutch change virgin!)

Liam.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i stripped my bay back to almost a bare engine, painted the block etc. I had plenty of room to respray the bay too. If you know what you are doing cambelt can be done in about an hour. it is so easy! i just made allignment marks on the belt, transferred to the new belt and refit, aligning everything.

Also, i have never used a clutch allignment tool. just used measuring calipers to ensure the splined part is dead centre. Tool would be easier though. Have a look at my build thread in my sig to get an idea of how stripped it can be. page 11

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Yes change the oil in the gearbox, you will have to wait till it's back on the car to get the oil lever right.

You need a 17mm Allen key or a socket to undo the drain and filler plug, loosen the filler plug 1st then loosen the drain plug to make your they are not rounded off or stick fast. New plugs can be bought the VW for a couple £s.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-17mm-H ... 2061918974

Oil change to fully synthetic for better gear change when cold, 2 bottles is plenty.
Euro car parts sale this weekend so use discount.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_868

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

only special tool required is for the cambelt tensioner.cambelt swap on my car takes about 10 minutes (i dont have covers on mine) ive done it a LOT of times . get the tool on ebay for 5-10 quid, then make sure the flywheel mark, cam wheel mark and dizzy mark are lined up when it goes back on.
clutch doesnt require any special tools but the gearbox can be a bit difficult to put back in after its done (use 2 jacks if no special gearbox lifts available etc...) you can line the clutch up by mk1 eyeball no problem at all (done it 4 times now and never got it wrong), get it roughly in place, then lightly nip up a couple of opposing flywheel bolts, then adjust so its central.make sure all surfaces are clean with brake cleaner and tighten the pressure plate bolts across the centre line of the plate (so the handle is inboard of the plate not outside it)
you will need a new green cap for the release bearing.