How to: mk2 carburettor to injection conversion

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: How to: mk2 carburettor to injection conversion

Post by scrappy1382 »

Scalatron wrote:I was thinking of a bit higher than 150 odd BHP, more like 200BHP. Forced induction is good fun but I really don't think K-Jet would be able to supply the fuel for a 200+ engine..
you'd be surprised !! the same main fuel pump under the car next to tank is actually the same pump used for the 3dr ford sierra cosworth, these pumps are capable of max pressure at 8 bar - 120 psi ... plenty.

also, the k jet system is actually the same styled system as the porshe, merc, volvo, fords. some were k and some were ke jet... i would go for 180 as a safety measure. but im sure it could be done

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

saying that though- you after acceleration or top speed ?
my daily driver 406hdi estate is remapped at 150bhp with 320ftlbs and it keeps up with the focus st's all the way upto 100mph :pilot:
and still delivers a good 53mpg fully loaded...
my 20vt scala cant catch it untill its reached well over the top speed of the pug, and the 20vt is just shy of 200hp.

its the torque , not the horsepower you want.

Scirocco Shane
Scalatron

Post by Scalatron »

I think your Scala needs tuning, 200BHP is a little conservative for that engine ;-)

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

Scalatron wrote:I think your Scala needs tuning, 200BHP is a little conservative for that engine ;-)
its only done 1600 miles since the rebuild :-) ... once i have everything setup properly and am 100% happy with the overall handling then i shall see about going for upgrades.

maybe even go down the route of the ko4 turbo and a custom remap for 270bhp and about 290 ft/lb. the ko3 and ko4 are safely designed to run no more than 7 psi boost anyways. any more than that quickly shortens the life of the turbo

but currently unsure lol

Scirocco Shane
Scalatron

Post by Scalatron »

My last turbo car was remapped from 1.0 bar to 1.5 bar boost, it made life interesting... well as interesting as 698cc can be lol. The engine life was around 100K miles but probably less, I never had any trouble with it. I'm not sure what the turbo was doing on the original Golf 1.8t VW engine, I think it was just decoration. 7psi(0.5 bar) is low boost, even old Scoobies were 0.9 bar from factory.

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

Yeah, 7psi is very low considering the potential of the engine. I will be looking into turning it up , but no more than 1 bar - ( 13-15psi ) ??? Should cope pretty well ??

Scirocco Shane
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

the reason why these turbo engines were limited is to increase the life span of the engine.
everybody knows how the 20vt suffers from sludge build up from lack of servicing and whatnot so why make it worse by screwing out more power?
subaru also had its fair share of issues namely head gasket failures and rediculous service intervals of 6000 miled which just isnt funny just to keep the engine in tip top condition.
so yes you can screw any power out of any engine, its just a case of how long you expect it to last and whether your happy servicing it every 3000- 6000 miles.

lets not forget that sciroccos were never designed to take this kind of power so what damage will will done to the shell and running gear long term?
and whats being done to get rid of all this heat? 150bhp might not sound like a lot but you can gaurantee the engine will sit at full tilt for hours running sensible bhp even if its a little low (evidence of this on the 225bhp tt you can see the lengths audi went to to try and keep the engine cool) you cant do that with 270bhp for long on an engine that started life with 150bhp unless your gonna spend a fortune in rebuilding it into something thats not even close to what you started with.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

james butler wrote:the reason why these turbo engines were limited is to increase the life span of the engine.
everybody knows how the 20vt suffers from sludge build up from lack of servicing and whatnot so why make it worse by screwing out more power?
subaru also had its fair share of issues namely head gasket failures and rediculous service intervals of 6000 miled which just isnt funny just to keep the engine in tip top condition.
so yes you can screw any power out of any engine, its just a case of how long you expect it to last and whether your happy servicing it every 3000- 6000 miles.

lets not forget that sciroccos were never designed to take this kind of power 150bhp might not sound like a lot but you can gaurantee the engine will sit at full tilt for hours running sensible bhp even if its a little low (evidence of this on the 225bhp tt you can see the lengths audi went to to try and keep the engine cool) you cant do that with 270bhp for long on an engine that started life with 150bhp unless your gonna spend a fortune in rebuilding it into something thats not even close to what you started with.
valid point...

but just because you make an engine capable of over 225bhp to the +250, its doesnt mean the engine is going to be at contsant full throttle and hard driving. i suppose with many, its the case of " its there if i need it" rather than thrashing the shite out of it. i tend to service all my cars at around the 5k mark, purely because 1, my daily driver is a 406hdi with a stage 2 remap 150/320ftlbs so ensuring the engine is good is a must.( its the family car ) 2, because i like everything new. with the pug, i know the power is there, but i dont thrash it to death. i just like to show the big boys or boy racers that if they want some fun, then watch being thrashed by a 406 diesel estate ( the looks are priceless believe me lol )

the scala wont be getting anymore than the 225bhp. ( who knows i may even just keep it as it is ) why ??? because in truth, it doesnt need it. its very light and in honesty, i like keeping up with the big boys showing them its not all about "new skool" ...

all of my cars get regular checks. 1 slight issue, i wont drive it till its fixed.

Scirocco Shane
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

im glad your keeping it standard as i would hate to see anything bad happen to it, and spot on with the servicing.
dont get me wrong im not having a go but problem i have is when people bang on about vw being overcautious for no reason, yet thats the exact reason why the old cars are still around and reliable because theyre robust and not overstressed.
your right roccos are very light and thats another reason not to go to crazy with the power as 150bhp is more than enough in most situations for a car with no traction control or limited slip diff or even decent brakes, any more than that sounds more like bragging rights then usable power.

at the end of the day each to their own and all that as i like a fast car as much as the next man and your scala is simply awsome as it is.

i met up with ant before the cosford meet and he offered for me to drive it and i refused out of sheer respect for how fast that car is (i just couldnt trust myself in it so ant drove instead) so i fully understand you leaving it the way it is.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!