Cam swaps

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Cam swaps

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all

I'm having a bit of work done on the scirocco and whilst it's in the garage I've been considering swapping the cam. Just thought I'd ask for some thoughts on this before I part with any money.

The car is unmodified, 1.8 8v EX with weber carb. I've read various things online, some people using GTI cams or fast road cams. I use the car daily commuting so I don't want something that's going to make it a pig to drive, I'm not expecting to gain heaps of power either but if it gives it just a little more pep then I'd be happy with that.

Anyone have any advice to share on this? Is it even worth doing without carrying out other mods or will I just be waiting time and money?

MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Cam swaps

Post by MRMENDER »

I believe fitting an injection cam gives you about 10 HP more never actually tried it but that's what ive been told