Identify Mystery Foreign Object

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
wjtn
fill in the right answer: 15

Identify Mystery Foreign Object

Post by wjtn »

Hey everyone,

The quick version - I took my Webber 32/24 DMTL off my 86' 1.6gt for a service, put it back on, turned the car over and it fired up for a couple of seconds, I let it peater out, finished up in engine bay, tried to start again and the engine wouldn't fully turn over, would almost do a rotation the get stuck. Camera in the bores and I found this (pic hopefully attached) in bore 2. It was keeping piston 2 from completing it's rotation.

What on earth is this? Does anyone recognise it?

It's heavy for its size, Brass cap with a shoulder around it like it friction fits into something. Some other metal inside the cap, lead maybe as it's so heavy? Lead has an indentation in it like a center punch mark and has a rough texture maybe like it's broke off off a larger piece or maybe just rough. Slight deformation is due to the piston ramming it up into the head.(no valves touched/ hurt and head now fine, pressure tested, skimmed and new guides).

I don't know how it got in there! I'm super anxious about stuff falling into holes, and had the inlet taped shut and bonnet down all the time the carb was off and I don't know what it is so I'm pretty sure I didn't drop it in there or I would recognise it at least.

Any ideas?! ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Identify Mystery Foreign Object

Post by essextom »

its not an injection head thats been used on a carb is it? could this be an injector hole blank if that is the case?

i dont recognise it though

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

There’s not a lot of space between the valves when the engine is running for anything to fit through the gap to drop into the cylinders even if anything did fall in when the carb was off the car.
I can’t think what it could be or how it got in, maybe via the spark plug holes as someone dropped it by mistake?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
wjtn
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by wjtn »

mark1gls wrote:There’s not a lot of space between the valves when the engine is running for anything to fit through the gap to drop into the cylinders even if anything did fall in when the carb was off the car.
I can’t think what it could be or how it got in, maybe via the spark plug holes as someone dropped it by mistake?
I know right! It's very odd. It's shape and weight make it seem like a very specific thing.
It's too big to fit through the spark plug hole too, so thats not its origin story....
Before the carb rebuild the car was running well, could it have been stuck on the piston head all this time?! Really hoping to find out what it is!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk