Original speaker plug

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

Original speaker plug

Post by WreckTangle »

My car has the original Nokia speakers (535035411B) fitted in the rear metal shelves and also has the original wiring. However, a previous owner has removed the black plug from the wiring for both rear speakers, presumably to fit upgrades which have subsequently been removed. Is it possible to get hold of the plugs to reinstate the original speakers?

From a bit of Googling I have discovered that the two-connector plug is common across a lot of makes/models of car. It is also fairly easy to find wired sockets to enable the non-destructive conversion of the original wiring. However, I cannot find the original plug either new or secondhand. Any pointers please?

GT_II

Re: Original speaker plug

Post by GT_II »

Have you searched component distributor websites such as RS, Farnell and CPC?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

have u got a picture of the plug?

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I’m hoping they look like these. Apologies for the poor quality picture. It’s from the eBay ad for a speaker wiring loom (from a different VW of similar vintage) that is now on its way to me. I managed to ascertain that they are an ISO standard 2-pin connector used on VWs, Vauxhalls and Renaults of the era. Despite their widespread use I have been unable to find the connectors new online. Only adapter leads with sockets rather than plugs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

The secondhand wiring loom arrived and enabled me to make a start. It yielded two plugs for the rear speakers.
B5590B52-3DCC-4A1E-BD0C-DD45A85AA042.jpeg
The presence of an ISO connector wired in VW colours also gave an opportunity to come up with a much better solution for the head unit connections ...
CA638E1E-9766-43B3-8C8F-42EF2D01310E.jpeg
... than the original rats nest which was the culmination of numerous attempts by some of the 16 previous owners of my scirocco.
42950458-AF63-495F-BD3D-20AE7E5D7DAD.jpeg
Unfortunately, I have now discovered that one of the rear speakers is faulty. The fault is definitely the speaker since swapping the rears causes the fault to move with the speaker. Looks like it may have been a waste of time restoring the OEM connectors as I’ll probably end up replacing them now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

To conclude this thread I thought I’d share my experience of finding replacement speakers that fit the stock housing since this was much more difficult than I expected. Most of the 4x6 speakers sold by car audio dealers nowadays sport coaxial tweeters which stick out proud of the surround thereby preventing the stock grills from being refitted. A car audio dealer recommended Inphase SXT6435 as being slimline but these had exactly the problem just described. Then I found these:

https://uk.farnell.com/visaton/fr-4x6-x ... dp/3401433

and these:

https://uk.farnell.com/visaton/fr9-15-4 ... dp/3404026

If you are looking for a high-end audio experience and/or deep base then this is not the way to go but if you are looking for a cheap way of replacing disintegrating stock speakers with as near stock as you can find it might work for you. I also used these adapters to avoid having to butcher the original speaker plugs. These enable you to fit the replacement speakers without any wire stripping, soldering or crimping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006J4G6

A couple of pics showing the new speakers either side of an original stock speaker. The metric 9x15 is closest in style and performance to the original. For the time-being I’ve put these in the rear and the coaxial 4x6 units in the front. However, I might swap them for the same as the back which to me sound clearer with slightly more base.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

Some more pics.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

And some more.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Good to see you have got new speakers fitted.

I've not got a Mk2 Scirocco and not 100% sure how these fit but they fit in my door pockets with the grills on in my Mk1 golf cabriolet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-150W- ... SwRbtaTKgX

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323