83 GL Auto ICE Hook Up

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
RussGLAuto
fill in the right answer: 15

83 GL Auto ICE Hook Up

Post by RussGLAuto »

Hi all,

Some assistance required please before I go mad. :dash:

So the car has allegedly been prepped for ICE but has never had it fitted. Ever. With a just a blanking cubby storage tray in place. I found a Blauplunkt London MR21 on the Interwebs for a song which my previous GL Auto had fitted. Anyway, thought it would be simples to retrieve the car leads and hook it up.

I have located the following wires:

Front speakers - 2 brown and 2 red from coming from the back of the dash.
Rear speakers - 2 grey 1 red and 1 blue in a black sheath coming from the floor under the dash.

Power & earth leads - 1 grey with blue stripe, 1 red and 1 brown into a block and coming out as 1 black and 3 red (One red has been split into two bullet connectors).

One aerial lead.

Happy daze you might say? Except that the speaker wires have then been connected directly to the fader switch with different coloured wires next to the gear shift and terminate there. Nothing else. No terminal block or anything except for the power, earth and aerial wires.

The MR21 has balance and fade controls built in. Do I therefore make the gearshift fader redundant and send the speaker wires direct to the radio? Seems obvious I know... but that is what I'm thinking.

I'm not an electrician and don't want to short anything out....

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
mr.brown

Re: 83 GL Auto ICE Hook Up

Post by mr.brown »

Bypass the factory fader.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Make sure the car battery is disconnected, remove the negative - terminal.
The red wires might be permanent 12v supply and switched 12v, get a multi meter and check for power.
Even better if you can trace the wires back and check what and were they are connected and make sure it’s all good, the problem with old radio wiring is lots of other peoples bodges to get different radios to fit and scotch locks where common place in the late 80/90s and they are devils work..... :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 pm Make sure the car battery is disconnected, remove the negative - terminal.
The red wires might be permanent 12v supply and switched 12v, get a multi meter and check for power.
Even better if you can trace the wires back and check what and were they are connected and make sure it’s all good, the problem with old radio wiring is lots of other peoples bodges to get different radios to fit and scotch locks where common place in the late 80/90s and they are devils work..... :-D
Scotch locks... I had to Google that one, thought it was a euphemism! :?

Bypass the factory fader - roger that Mr Brown. With you on that one. At the moment the wiring is leading to a dead end with no tunes!

I'll get the soldering iron out tomorrow and see what I can achieve :beg:

Thanks for posting.

Russ

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Let us know how you get on, we are always here to help if we can, pictures are very helpful in spotting problems...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

i personally would use a new live feed to the radio from the battery and only use an igniton live from the existing wires or tap into an igniton live in the fusebox.
then run all new speaker cables to relative speakers and leave the old stuff in there as redundant.
like others have said there`s probably been some mucking about gone on in there in the past so best left alone as much as possible.
if it can wait i will check the haynes wiring diagrams to see if your current wires tally up to anything

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
OiMilkman

Post by OiMilkman »

james butler wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 am i personally would use a new live feed to the radio from the battery and only use an igniton live from the existing wires or tap into an igniton live in the fusebox.
then run all new speaker cables to relative speakers and leave the old stuff in there as redundant.
like others have said there`s probably been some mucking about gone on in there in the past so best left alone as much as possible.
if it can wait i will check the haynes wiring diagrams to see if your current wires tally up to anything
What he said. More work to start with but should stop any future faults and chasing old wiring.