electric aerial wiring help!!

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Yolandi2
fill in the right answer: 15

electric aerial wiring help!!

Post by Yolandi2 »

hi all, ive finally got around to having a look at my wing mounted aerial, ive had it out of the wing and apart to make sure nothings broken inside and its all good, it only has two wires coming out of it, green and blue and the thick connection to the stereo of course.
so far by manually extending the aerial i can make is retract by touching the blue wire to the battery +
but cant make it extend on its own, I'm assuming green in earth? i tried the green to positive as well and i get a click noise from the aerial box, i wondered if it wasn't earth because the aerial retracts whether the green is connected or not (body earth?)
anyway i cant figure out what to try next or what might be wrong, is there another wire i don't know about maybe?

1990 mk2 GT2
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: electric aerial wiring help!!

Post by mark1gls »

The blue wire goes to the back of the car stereo, it should have a blue wire in the loom of the stereo?
Not sure about the green wire?

Mine stopped working years ago and I had to disconnect the blue wire from the back of the stereo to stop the motor running all the time. Never got around to having a look at what other wires are fitted...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

there are 3 unconnected wires ive found behind the stereo, white/yellow white/blue and pale blue, connecting the blue one to the stereo doesn't do anything :(

1990 mk2 GT2
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

do the two black wires that are connected to each other and to the aerial itself need to be connected to ground as well?

1990 mk2 GT2
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I recently fitted one of these, but didn't want it to extend all the way up everytime i put the radio on and come all the way down when it turned off, so I instead wired it to a momentary toggle switch so I could put it up and down as much or as little as I like.

Most people just wire these to the stereo output for the aerial or just to a switched live (so everytime you turn the car on the aerial raises and lowers when turned off)

The blue wire from the stereo is usually for the remote and orange is for illumination. Not all stereos will have an aerial wire, just the actual coax aerial input.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Here is a quick (Bad) drawing of how I wired mine up to a switch if it's of any interest to you...You need the diode to stop the voltage flowing back in the down position.
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- David
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

ok i know how an aftermarket one is wired up and my stereo has a blue wire, its the stereo i took out of my old car that i used the blue wire for signal for the amp in the boot

but mine only has two wires coming out of the aerial itself, blue and green, well and a black one that comes out of one part of the aerial and then back in again (I'm not talking about the coax for the radio), i believe this is the stock aerial from the factory i just cant figure out what I'm doing wrong, if i open the aerial up and manually raise the antenna, when i make the blue wire live it retracts, if i connect the green wire to power it does nothing but i can hear a click from inside the aerial mechanism, weirdly the aerial will retract with only the blue wire connected (and the green wire not connected to anything) so this has made me wonder if blue is perm live and green is switched live? if it doesn't rain tomorrow ill try attaching he black wire directly to ground although there isn't any other wires in the wing and it looks like the wing or inner guard has never been removed

1990 mk2 GT2
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

heres my own poor drawing but i hope it helps explain the set up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1990 mk2 GT2
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I would assume the black wire is the ground and the mounting point is the ground.

Power to the blue and the green should raise the aerial, power to just the blue wire should lower it. So typically you would have the blue wire to a full time live and the green to a switch live, or a trigger from the stereo. If using a trigger from the stereo it may well not carry enough current so it would be a good idea to relay it and of course fuse it.

- David
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

Added a ground wire from the black wires directly to the batt and it works!!

1990 mk2 GT2
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Good you got it working. Might just need to clean up the mounting point then it should work without the wire. If not you can run a ground wire up the wing to the ground cable that runs from the bonnet to the body.

- David
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

Ah didn't think of the ground cable there, would make it much neater, I hate having loads of random wires attached to the batt

1990 mk2 GT2
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

to tidy up the wiring its worth investing in one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-10-Wa ... 0005.m1851
then you can run load of toys off it and each one is fused nice and neat
for the earths you can use the existing stud earth point just under the battery

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

Got the exact same fusebox in my land rover funnily enough, use it for running the extra lights, electric rad fan etc. the previous owners extremely crude fusebox eventually caught fire one day

1990 mk2 GT2