Farting speakers!

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Macc
fill in the right answer: 15

Farting speakers!

Post by Macc »

Hehe, best way I can describe it really! Ordered these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181224963783 and fitted them, front and back, for the door panels they aint a 100% fit, sit too proud and the speaker cover only just goes back on (and usually flies off again if the doors shut with any vigour!), stereo im using is one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-R541-Ste ... B00B59P29E which incidentally I cant fit all the way in due to a metal stopper I really dont want to cut out, literally about 7mm)

Anyway, its mainly the back ones, any sort of volume and they are farting like a day after curry night! Anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

1990 MK2 1.8 GTII Scirocco "Black Shuck"
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Farting speakers!

Post by Nate »

If the speakers are holding the grilles off, then the cone or the suspension is probably hitting the grille

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Macc

Post by Macc »

Front ones are not so bad tbh, its the rear two either side of the parcel shelf that are the problem

Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm assuming they're fitted under the stock grilles?

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

You should be able to unscrew the metal stopper you mention.

Have you replaced the wiring to the speakers and are they wired-up correctly? I don't know what age your car is, but the early mk2s were essentially wired for a single pair of speakers which was then split through the fader control - this causes all kinds of problems if you try to patch in a modern stereo's wiring. You need to redo the speaker wiring and bypass the fader.

Of course, if you've got a later mk2 (pretty much anything with a body-kit except a Storm, I think), then that won't be anything to do with it.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Macc

Post by Macc »

Nate wrote:I'm assuming they're fitted under the stock grilles?
They are mate
the edmundator wrote:You should be able to unscrew the metal stopper you mention.

Have you replaced the wiring to the speakers and are they wired-up correctly? I don't know what age your car is, but the early mk2s were essentially wired for a single pair of speakers which was then split through the fader control - this causes all kinds of problems if you try to patch in a modern stereo's wiring. You need to redo the speaker wiring and bypass the fader.

Of course, if you've got a later mk2 (pretty much anything with a body-kit except a Storm, I think), then that won't be anything to do with it.
Aye its a 1990 mk2 with bodykit so should be ok. Intrigued by how to unscrew that stopper though, where is the screw located? I couldnt see anything when I fitted the stereo (although to be fair I wasnt exactly looking for one either!)

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

When I've had stoppers on the radio they've just twisted out. Can you put up a picture of the offending bit?

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Macc

Post by Macc »

Its part of the car, a piece of metal behind the stereo that stops it going too far back, or not far enough in this case!

Macc

Post by Macc »

Actually its not metal at all, its a part of the housing and molded in, chap who fit the stereo said that the best I was going to get was like it was, sticking out about 2 or 3mm unable to lock in and he would have to get a steel cutter if I wanted it out, funny how ive just managed to bend it out the way with my hand, pulled it towards me until it was pretty much horizontal, kept hold of it with my other hand from underneath, slipped the stereo right over the top and "click", locked in!!

Heres a pic of the "metal" stopper, I really shouldnt take people at their word so readily!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Ah, I thought you meant there was a stopper on the back of the head unit (there often is - these can be unscrewed). There is no reason why a normal-sized head unit won't fit properly. If you're using a harness adapter, sometimes the wiring and ISO blocks take up a lot of space and need to be carefully pushed out of the way to get the stereo all the way back.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

There's normally a m5 thread sticking out the centre of the back of the radio. These are often supplied with a rubber bung over them. This goes thru the hole in that plastic stop, you can then put a nut and washer on to hold the radio secure and help stop tealeaves

Macc

Post by Macc »

That makes sense Nate, this radio however has a big chunky heatsink on the back, theres a screw hole, no rubber bung or screw though but even so, the heatsink made direct contact with it, bolting it in wouldnt have made any difference as it was as far as it could possibly go

james butler

Post by james butler »

my alpine head unit has a big chunky heat sink that got stuck against that stopper, so i cut the stopper off with a hacksaw blade.
all its for is to secure the stereo in place to help prevent theft and to help stop the rear of the stereo from sagging.
i haven't had any adverse effects of mine being cut off, so you should be able to cut yours off no issues.
most normal head units should fit as ed said but my head unit wasnt normal and im thinking yours isnt either, probably due to the higher power stereos of today needing larger and larger heat sinks.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Macc

Post by Macc »

Aye thats right James, about 3 or 4mm shorter and it wouldnt have been an issue, in fact its quite a bit larger than an old Panasonic stereo ive got from the period, and its all in that heatsink! I even thought about removing the heatsink, bolting it somewhere close on the bodywork and having a conducting wire out the stereo, thought better of it due to inevitable earthing issues though!

duggers

Post by duggers »

I had a similar fitting issue with upgraded speakers. I ended up trimming the back of the door grilles and using screw spacers on the rear speaker fixings made from some spares i had for mounting a bracket for a flat screen TV.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432