1978 GLS

IT'S NOT DIFFICULT - follow the simple template, include as much info as possible. NO TRADERS. NO PRICE? thread will be deleted without checking. Using English and Paragraphs always a winner too.
Forum rules
Follow the templates, no ebay link only ads, NO TRADERS. No price? no thread. it's not THAT difficult?
RussGLAuto
fill in the right answer: 15

1978 GLS

Post by RussGLAuto »

Cracking motor this one gents:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1414818

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1978 GLS

Post by mark1gls »

Looks a lot better then mine, same early seats and colour as my car.
Should have plastic bumpers though but metal ones do suit it.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Well, that said, a few bits missing from the engine bay. Cam belt cover for starters, strut top covers... even so, still more presentable than Gladys!

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Looks great but (and this my pet hate) a bare metal respray is NOT fully restored!

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

mr.brown wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:05 pm Looks great but (and this my pet hate) a bare metal respray is NOT fully restored!
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I would be interested if you could elaborate - I had always assumed a bare metal respray was considered the ultimate foundation for a restoration project, at least for a cars that had succumbed to significant deterioration, and I think is often highlighted as a positive attribute of older show cars featured in car magazines.

Personally, I prefer cars that have had as little done as possible to the original paintwork, as I fear few if any bodyshops are able to produce paintwork as durable as the original factory finish - witness the number of tired modern classics suffering from lacquer peel, etc.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

With you GT_II. I always think it's a bit of a cheat doing a full respray on a classic car. Means that really it's had a hard life and one is attempting to covering up that fact. Unless of course it's a Car SOS basket case... in which case fair enough.

Yes Gladys has had paint in mine and previous ownership. But only where necessary to combat localised minor corrosion and it's clear never a full one.

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/ ... p?t=416440

This is the type of rust (spider?) I'm seeing in several areas of Gladys and according to various websites its attributed to poor pre paint practices from factory that just weren't known about back in the day.

So they MUST be sorted out. That said c.80 of her is original paint. I think. Need to get a paint thickness gauge to verify though.

That said, if one is stripping a car back to bare metal / nut and bolt, how is that not a full restoration type gig??

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

That's only paint!
All the other parts, mechanical, etc., etc., need to be fully looked at for a car to be fully restored.
To quote the old saying......'All fur coat and no knickers'.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

:hehe: Love it!!

That phrase is up there on my Tombstone wish-list! "He was a great bloke, but all fur coat and no knickers!"

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

GT_II wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 pm I would be interested if you could elaborate
A bare metal respray implies that only the outside of the car was sanded/repaired/primed/resprayed.

To me, a full restoration is what I've had done to my own mk1 -

Car stripped down to bare shell and sent to Envirostrip. Doors, wings, tailgate, bonnet removed and placed in shell.

Full 4 stage process -

Stage 1 – Paint removal using pyrolysis
Stage 2 – De-rusting
Stage 3 – Protective Coating
Stage 4 – Bodywork Primer or E-Coat Protection

Back to restorers for full rotisserie restoration

1. Approx. 40hrs of welding - and my car would have been described as "excellent" pre-resto so imagine how many hours a basket case needs.
2. Other bodywork repairs including pressing out of dents, filler where appropriate
3. Primer inside, outside and underneath
4. Multiple coats of paint - inside, outside and underneath - I opted for no underseal as it's evil stuff.
5. Finishing

And then comes the rebuild. After all the expense above, every part HAS to be new/rebuilt.

Basically, a bare metal respray can be done in a couple of days. A full resto takes months and £££££.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

mr.brown wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:28 pm
GT_II wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 pm I would be interested if you could elaborate
A bare metal respray implies that only the outside of the car was sanded/repaired/primed/resprayed.
Ah, that helps, I guess the term "respray" has its roots in the 60s and 70s, where countless back street paint shops used this term when offering to refresh your rusting Cortina or whatever with a quick paint job, although I feel sure the "bare metal" renovation this GLS has received would be to a much higher standard than that.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

And Mr Brown didn't include restoration of the engine, fueling, gearbox, braking system, suspension system, steering!
A full restoration, done properly is £15,000 to £20,000. Not worth it unless you aim to keep the car for ever! If you watch Car SOS, think how much restoring some of their cars must be (the 6R4 for example). But it's a TV programme not a viable business.