1988 Scirocco Scala 1.8l – £1900 ONO – Sheffield REDUCED

IT'S NOT DIFFICULT - follow the simple template, include as much info as possible. NO TRADERS. NO PRICE? thread will be deleted without checking. Using English and Paragraphs always a winner too.
Forum rules
Follow the templates, no ebay link only ads, NO TRADERS. No price? no thread. it's not THAT difficult?
rwh1990
fill in the right answer: 15

1988 Scirocco Scala 1.8l – £1900 ONO – Sheffield REDUCED

Post by rwh1990 »

1988 Scirocco Scala 1.8l Auto – £1900 ONO – Sheffield

Hey All,
Up for sale is my 88’ Scala, It’s Been my pride and joy for the past few years and now unfortunately due time constraints and a change to my work commute etc it’s up for sale. I wish I had a big garage to store it for a later date, but as I don’t, I would rather have someone enjoy it as I have than it be neglected. So here are the Details!

Model: Scirocco Scala 1.8l Auto
Year: 1988
Mileage: 80,049 (may increase a little as I still use it)
MOT: 12 Months (booked in this week as it just ran out so will come with a fresh 12 months)
Current owner: Yes
V5 present: Yes
Price: £1900 ONO
Contact Details: PM

Additional Information:
HPI Clear with report from Experian

Chassis & Body Shell: The chassis and shell on this car is 100% solid with absolutely no rot or structural issues. Has to be one of the cleanest and most rust free examples that I have ever come across. The arches have all been stripped (revealing fantastic condition – see pics) & Waxoyle sealed. I have never experienced any of the usual leaks or water ingress during my ownership and all the water channels are clear and working well. All seals are in good condition and the rear boot lock rubber has been replaced for good measure as it looked a little tired. There are a few (four I think) small 50p size area’s where some light bubbling has occurred, but they are all cosmetic and nothing a light sand / paint wouldn’t fix. There is also a dent on the bonnet (front passenger-side corner) & a larger dent + graze on the passenger rear wing that have been filled and painted but could do with being re-done. This damage was done by an old lady on her driveway during her ownership, the car has never been in an accident and is HPI Clear. The Damage was fixed by a friend of mine for free about 4 years ago just after purchasing the car as he was apprenticing at a paint shop and needed a car to practice on. To be fair, it has held up pretty well and isn’t immediately noticeable but it could be better. I do have pictures of the original damage should anyone want to see.

Paintwork and Exterior Trim: Overall I would probably rate the condition of the paintwork as 80-85% taking into account the 4 small areas of bubbling and the repair to the bonnet corner and rear wing. You could easily give it a quick clean and polish and take it to a show feeling proud, but as you would expect with a 27 year old car, it’s not perfect and does have the usual small blemishes, rear bumper has quite a few scuffs. The Rub Strips have been removed but can be included if you want them & the pillar vinyl has also been removed to give the car a more updated look (my opinion).

Engine and Components: During my ownership the engine has been given a full service (Oil, filters, plugs, dizzy arm + cap) every 12 months without fails regardless of the minimal mileage covered. So that’s 5 full services in just 6000 miles to make sure that everything is healthy, and in addition it will be getting another full service this week before the MOT. During the first year the Carb was replaced with a Weber unit and the engine was given full re-fresh. The refresh included: Full bottom end inspection and decoke, full top end refresh including new tappets, new valve guides, oil stem seals, valves lapped, seats reground, Head Skim, full gasket kit, new rubber carb mount, timing belt and tensioner, Auxiliary belt replaced, new HT leads & a breather filter. A new radiator expansion tank was fitted and the coolant system flushed and refilled. The Ignition coil was replaced with a new one and a new battery was also fitted. The carb was then tuned up and the timing all set from scratch to ensure the best performance form the current setup. Since this the car has never failed to start and has run beautifully with what feels like a good bit more than 90hp! (I have stuck a couple pics of the rebuild with the pictures below)

Gearbox and Drive Shaft: PLEASE PLEASE do not let the fact that this car is an Automatic put you off! The car is just as pokey as a manual and still returns 35+ mpg Ave. Only con is that it does sit a little high in the revs on the motorway but still does good economy if you stick to the speed limit ;) The Box is pretty smooth and surprisingly good for a 1988 unit and thanks to the long ratios if you want to give it some beans, then just use the selector for manually selecting 1st and 2nd , as 2nd will happily go to 65-70mph in a pretty short amount of time.

Interior, Electrical Equipment and Wiring: The interior is in good condition with no cracks or splits in the dash. The seats were professionally cleaned when I got the car and look like new. There is a tear in the lower driver’s seat bolster and each of the front foot wells have a tear in the carpet and wear to the skid matt (can’t be seen with mats in place and is purely cosmetic with no damage on inspection underneath). All equipment and electrical systems work as they should. The original radio is present but not connected and hasn’t been tested as I had my own fitted.

Suspension and Braking System: Had new disks, pads, shoes and fitting kits 400ish miles / 10 months ago. All moving components were re-greased and reassembled to ensure smooth operation. Had two new front springs 12 months ago, rear springs were replaced about 3.5 years ago. Shocks are all in good condition and work fine. Brake Lines are all in working order with no known cause for concern or anything flagged on the recent MOT. Brake Fluid could perhaps be due a change. Bushes look a little tired but don’t have any excessive play.
Wheels and Tyres: Brand new Cades Eros Alloys fitted about a year and a half ago, lovey alloys and in great condition. Four brand new tyre were fitted about 2-3 months ago and have done less than 150 miles. (The original alloys are available and can be included depending on price. They are all solid with no leaks or cracks however like all original Scala Snowflakes they could do with a refurb. Tyres are legal but quite worn and very old too. )

There has been a huge amount of work and money spent on this car during my ownership with many mechanical parts being renewed or overhauled. This is a car that you could drive away and immediately enjoy without the need to do anything straight away and would also make an excellent starting basis for a project. A manual conversion wouldn’t be too hard either if you wanted too. I have done my best to be as honest and detailed as possible but as always please come see for yourself.

Comes with all the original booklets and as many old receipts & MOT certificates as I can find. Also comes with the original spare key (see pics) and one main key.

Any Questions or Requests Then Please Get In Touch!
Test Drives Welcome Pending Proof Of Valid & Correct Insurance Cover.