MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Post by jimmy h »

Last weekend I changed the Heater Matrix which had been dribbling coolant all over the carpet over the winter. It was an absolute doddle of a job, I was dreading it but it went so easy, I was done in an hour!! The old matrix was shot, it was leaking all around the crimping, the Meyle replacement from VWH was an exact replica and very good quality. The last few weeks I've also finished off the restoration of the leather interior, door cards and rear seats had been on hold last year whilst I had house stuff to do.
I also finally treated it to some mats, I got them from Carmats 4 u, they are OK but I might splash out and replace them with a more custom set.
It flew through its MOT yesterday with no advisories so I'm looking forward to another summer of motoring!

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Holy thread resurrection - literally!
I kind of lost interest in this when photobucket got arsey... now it would appear you can view again?
Well, not much has happened the last two years but I thought I'd update anyway - especially a tale of caution!

I changed the timing belt back in March, new kit c/o VAG, it came with a new stud (that the tensioner spins on) I had no need to change the stud, but as I'd removed it 20 odd years ago with a pair of mole grips ........ I thought I might as well..

When I'd got the timing all set, I tightened up the nut on the tensioner... and I wasn't happy with the feel of things (you do get a feel for such things after messing about with cars for many years!
A few weeks later I took the car for its MOT, it passed but the tester said it cut out on the emission test and wouldn't restart...
I was flummoxed as I know the car like the back of my hand, anyhow, later that day I went out for a drive to satisfy my worries.. I lost stereo followed by gauges and then the engine - I got going again after a bump from a friendly passer by.. Got home and knew straight where to look - Alternator..

I was thinking? I replaced that recently, then I thought some more and realised it was 21 years ago!

Whilst I was awaiting a new one to arrive, I thought I'd better check that belt and tensioner - of course it just kept turning and not tightening :|
The stud had stripped its thread in the cylinder head :? I tried industrial strength thread lock.. Silly boy .....
I was left with a bit of dilemma, re tap or Helicoil, but as that would mean head off - no car all summer... Also, I know the head has been off twice in my ownership and skimmed, you can't keep skimming!

After many days of worry, and sleepless nights I ordered an M10 Helicoil kit of ebay. Knowing I couldn't drill the head in situ, concerned I 'd struggle tapping it straight.. The kit turned up and as I was tapping into an existing M10 hole (slightly bigger) the tap went straight in and cut a good thread.
I dropped off the engine mount nearest and jacked the engine just enough to get some extra room to screw in the insert..

Set up the timing, tightened up belt and tensioner STRONGLY, job done - MASSIVE RELIEF!!!!! :-D

I'm sharing this because: I know a lot of you run these older cars, and the belt is something that will have been changed many times now, I'm sure the thread failed not because of my ham-fisted approach - it had just been tightened many times. The alloy had enough..

So you can fix this issue with the engine in, head on, but be prepared for a serious amount of worry!

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Brilliant thread, and great to see its not sitting in a shed gathering dust and being driven on a regular basis.