MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Stormboy
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Post by Stormboy »

Yea thanks, I've already started striping my mums storm, she can't drive any more so I kinda inherited it now! I intend to do whatever it takes to restore her properly, I'm guessing the welding is going to cost the most! But once restored what is an immaculate storm worth? Will keep in touch and I,really hope mine turns out to be as good as yours, although you,have set a very very high standard, regards Lance

jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by jimmy h »

I've been on with this. Time dragging malarkey.
Bought yet another dashboard off here, not perfect, it had the dreaded Manual Choke Conversion.
Filled the holes with epoxy then cut vinyl from an old dashboard I had, lots.
Filled the gap between the repair with matt black paint, with a very fine brush, flatted it all with 2000 grit, applied aerosol matt black and finishing sealer from my leather kit.
I'm hoping I will not see that repair, under the dash, when I'm doing a one hundred miles an hour with my hair on fire....

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I'm really lucky Polov 8 decided to sell off some of his prized bits - big thanks again Andy.
You may think that I should be getting satisfied with the end result, truth is I love tinkering with the old thing and any improvement I can make, gives me a bigger smile!
The lights I had were OK but I'd replaced the chrome effect with self adhesive stuff, it was starting to peel and luck scruffy so.....
It was the same with the grille and the chrome, it took ages to do, it too was starting to peel, I didn't fancy doing it again...
The chassis bonnet catch I'd long been after replacing..
It did seem a bit of a shame to fit these vary rare parts, yet the car is cosseted, garaged, and never used in the wet - no point them sat in a cupboard.

polov8

Post by polov8 »

NOS is great, but nobody goes to a car show to look at boxes of parts! They look every bit as good on the car as I ever hoped they would! I need to see your car in person some time soon!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The parts are meant to be used and I can't think of another MK1 so deserving the parts to be used on after all the work, blood, sweat and tears you have put into this very tidy car.
Looking superb as always jimmy h

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I'd had a bit of an issue with the oil pressure warning light coming on, I knew it was a false warning but unnerving all the same. I tracked it down to a bad connection, but I wanted to fit an oil pressure gauge just to make sure.
My oil temp gauge had not worked for a long time so that was the hole it was going to fill in the centre console - so that meant taking the dash out..
First I had to fit a VDO pressure switch and T piece to retain the original pressure sensor to feed the warning light.
I used the wire from the temp sensor to give the feed back to the oil pressure gauge.
The cracks in the dash were repaired using a slow setting 24hr epoxy injected through a syringe to enable a long working time. It took a few fills on the deeper cracks, I left the epoxy proud of the surface, then scraped down with a razor blade and finished with fine wet and dry. I then masked just the repair area off and sprayed with a wrinkle finish paint, then matt black, then a satin clear coat.
The repair I made where the manual choke hole had been filled is not at all visible from inside the car.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it's not perfect, but it's good enough to stop me thinking about sending one over to the USA for recovering, wich I'd been quoted some serious amount of $$$$$$$ before shipping!

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

The dash looks great. I didn't realise you could get paint in that finish.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

That is a really neat job.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Yee gods I was well chuffed Polov8 decided to sell off his hoard, I've been living on beans on toast for the last two months..
After restoring my old bumpers, and the time it took, I was a bit reluctant to try and improve, but if NOS turns up?
I did the last photo to show comparison, shame it does not do it justice, the new bumper is the dogs, it matches the rest of the stuff, rear one to do tomorrow.
The thing is: when it's your pride and joy? why stop?
I remember being a 15 year old, seeing Mk1s vanish before my eyes through rust, Storm's being rare as hen's teeth, and insurance being a group 8! I thought I'd never own one! Now this..... Laugh out loud....

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Looks excellent, I'm glad all this stuff is going to make others cars better, rather than being stashed away in someones spare room like it was with me!

The car looks stunning, I'm definitely going to have to make a trip to see it some time!

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

About 1979.
Over to my niece and nephew to update in 30 odd years!

hermmy
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by hermmy »

Fantastic thread and well done Jimmy, that's one stunning car you have!

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hi there, just come this thread regarding your Mk1. I think the title is apt ! Your car looks absolutely stunning - really as new and in original spc.

I have a similar Mk1 Storm, 1981 in same colour. Been working on it on and off for years and wondering if it will ever be finished. Most of the mechanics and bodywork has been done now. I'm going to read your thread in detail and hope it will give me some inspiration to finish. Did try to upload some pics but the file was too large.

By the way, is that a brand new bumper you have there ?

Regards

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Hilltop wrote:Hi there, just come this thread regarding your Mk1. I think the title is apt ! Your car looks absolutely stunning - really as new and in original spc.

I have a similar Mk1 Storm, 1981 in same colour. Been working on it on and off for years and wondering if it will ever be finished. Most of the mechanics and bodywork has been done now. I'm going to read your thread in detail and hope it will give me some inspiration to finish. Did try to upload some pics but the file was too large.

By the way, is that a brand new bumper you have there ?

Regards
Hi, thanks for the comments.

If you need inspiration to finish yours? I've been driving mine A LOT lately and what an absolute joy it has been. I live up near the Lake District and a few Sundays ago I took it out early, it was one of them perfect autumn mornings, sunny, trees turning colour - leaves falling. I travelled up the side of Coniston water, then up to Ambleside and back down the side of lake Windermere. It's not just the driving experience, the appreciation from other motorists and even pedestrians - it never ceases to draw thumbs up and waves. It does bring a smile to your face, when it is your pride and joy, for it to stop people in their tracks.....

The car itself has been absolutely bullet proof since its restoration, I keep expecting something to go wrong or need adjustment, not that it would bother me - I'd welcome an afternoon fettling it!

I appreciate it is a hell of a long slog restoring a car, when I was doing the bulk of mine it was every single weekend, every night of the week, no holidays etc. I just knew if I started to back off - it would drag on forever - and there are STILL things I want to do to the car!

Yes, you could call the bumper is new. It is New Old Stock, bought it off a chap on here, the rear one too is also NOS.

Zoofy

Post by Zoofy »

Lovely lovely car. Well done!

I’m not far from you in North Yorkshire. I knock around the lakes a fair bit. Maybe I’ll spot you one day!

Enjoy