MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Post by jimmy h »

Hello,

I've been a Scirocco owner for the last 20 years.

My old man had a N plate TS which started the bug, I've had a T plate GLS, an A plate MK 2 Storm, B Plate GTX.
However my ever present indulgence has been my MK1 (light Blue) Storm which I've owned since 1994.I had the bodywork restored in 1996 then bought a Corrado 16V (still own) and bought a series two Lotus Elise.... The Scirocco was booted out of the garage.

It's sat on my drive for the last 8 years and taken the worst of West Cumbria's weather!

It came down to the fact that the Lotus 'had-to-go' on many occasions. But, luckily,common sense prevailed and I've had my garage extended :roll: :o :shock: :? Work mates don't get it, the plumber didn't get it when he fitted the C/H radiator in the garage!

Once I've worked out how post some pictures I will do, any tips will be most welcome :ok:
Last edited by jimmy h on Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calvert

Re: MK 1 Storm second time around

Post by Calvert »

Look forward to seeing some pics!

You have to get a Photobucket account if you want to post pics www.photobucket.com upload your pics to the there then just grab the [IMG] links to post pics in your topics.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

jimmy h wrote: the plumber didn't get it when he fitted the C/H radiator in the garage!
You sir are my role model!

Look forward to the pics bud :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Risocco wrote:
jimmy h wrote: the plumber didn't get it when he fitted the C/H radiator in the garage!
You sir are my role model!

Look forward to the pics bud :good:

Alex
Well it made perfect sense to me, I had my old C/H boiler replaced in March on the government scrappage scheme using some cash I'd put away for my Rocco project figuring I'd save in the long-run. It is more than 50% efficient than the last, so one extra radiator in my new super insulated garage won't make much difference to my carbon foot print. :shocking:

My brother called around the other weekend, I was showing him my 'extended' garage on my house which is a little on the large side for me and the dog! (Boxer) he said: "So...... R Kid, you now have a radiator in your garage - bizarre" (said whilst shaking his head) He continued: " you own 3 cars bla blah blah"

Photobucket kept me irritated with no end of password nonsense last night - I'm busy cleaning crap off at the moment should get pick's soon when my patience is better .

What the hell does my brother know? I sincerely suspect he's a philistine....

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

jimmy h wrote: But, luckily,common sense prevailed and I've had my garage extended :roll: :o :shock: :?
Now that's my kind of common sense.
Well done indeed, Sir.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I've got a 'Photobucket' account now without a single clue what to do with it :blush:

Not much to photo at the moment, replaced the sump after the plug kept 'leaking' for the last god- knows- how- many- years.

I could not get any oil pressure ( Patern oil pump, fitted in '95 after engine rebuild when I was skint - the minimum wage did not exist then) Just fitted a brand new VAG pump (£137.00) My local dealer smiles everytime I cower past the MK 3s in the showroom :training:

I've got a new radiator to fit and I'm looking for advice about silicone hoseing ( That bloke with the quiff?)

Need advice on front brake caliper restoration ( Kelsey Hayes)

Oh! and if there is anyone in Cumbria who wants a nearside/(left) non wrap-around indicator in good condition.Craig?

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

The day has been an unmitigated disaster.

The Corrado still won't start (don't go there) now the Elise has a huge misfire ( 3 pots out of 4)

But I believe a positive attitude is essential, Ryan sent me a PM on how to do bucket photo's :yup: Now I remember when a bucket was a bucket. :chill:

And I've got some bits from the dealer to sort my caliper (s) out! I keep saying: " Er, I've got a Mk1 Rocco, er ,can you fix me up with a.....

Sure, Jimmy, is the reply. I'm so glad I'm not restoring a Renault.

Ryan I will Pm you tomorrow.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I'm hoping to fit photo's between story 'issues' rather than a direct link to my photobucket account? :ire:

How hard can that be? :read:

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Hello folks,

Can anyone let me know if the images I've posted can be seen??? :blush:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Work ok for me. I particularly liked the radiator and the foundations.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If you want to only show the photos of your car you can copy the [img]http://i1206.photobucket...................etc. code at the bottom of your photos then paste them into your reply/message and you can then check its worked by pressing the preview button at the bottom of the page.

your photos will appear in your message like this.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

eyup Jim! not sure how I missed this but hey ho, I have had my head in the sand a bit of late, glad to see you are 'In' and the car is under way. hope to catch up soon bud.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Craig,

Good to see you are still around mate, I was going to start asking where you were? I've not seen you on here for a bit now.

I should have called you, but I was thinking you were on your ' Traditional, end-of-year sojourn'.

We must meet up soon, by all means feel free to visit, I'd be chuffed to bits to have a chat and show you the project.

In all honesty, if it was not for you giving me a gentle nudge about my car, the garage extension, etc - would not have happened.

I know I kept saying to you, " But Craig, I'm going to sell the Lotus, and then I'll start sorting out the Storm" Your reply : "you keep saying that"

The Scirocco is now firmly "Indoors" and I have to walk past it every day ( at least 6 times) so it is a constant reminder to get it back on the road as soon as possible!
:pilot:
I

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

My car went to the bodyshop today!

I was going to take some photo's when it got loaded up, but got totaly lost in stuff.

I've been building up to this for the last 8 years or so.....
Last edited by jimmy h on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.