The Rieger has come home!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Chaps
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: The Rieger has come home!

Post by Chaps »

Carboots are the way forward for imperial stuff mate, there is loads on all the time.

New parts arrived today so going to crack on this weekend and get the suspension cleaned up and put back together. My mate has a press so I will do the the bearings at his.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I've been down to my friends over the weekend and pressed the old bearings out of the hubs. It wasnt too had, other than undoing the driveshaft nut off one of the hubs. I couldn't undo the driveshaft nut while the hub was on the car so I ended up disconnecting the driveshaft at the gearbox so that I can grip it securely in a vice and undo it on the bench. I had to heat it quite a lot with a blowtorch to get it to free up. it was ridiculously tight.

Once that was done it was time to press out the bearings. First you to press the drive plates off.

Then to remove the circlips on both sides of the bearing.

Now you can press the bearing out of the hub. I used a steel tube to hold the hub as the bearing can then to fall into it.

Once that was done you then needs to remove the bearing race off the drive plate, i used a 6mm punch and it came loose on the first, but the 2nd wasnt as easy. I cut a thin slit into the race and then split it slightly with a steel chisel. Once it was free I used the punch again to knock it off.

After that I sand blasted the hubs and driveplates slightly so they can be painted, and powerwashed them clean.

I'll paint them up tomorrow and take them back to press the bearings back in later on in the week.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Wow... Another year has gone by nearly!!!

It's crazy how fast time goes, since my last post the mrs has given birth to my fabulous daughter Mia, who is 5 months old now. Love her to bits but kids defo zapp your free time.

I have been in the garage a few nights recently trying to remember where stuff all goes. Changed the hubs, steering arms and ends. Fitted the brakes and redone all of the brake lines and finished the dash too. So yeah we are pretty much ready for engine back together now. I am still debating whether or not to buy some throttle bodies from Badger5 his DTH Jenveys look beautiful. Only prob is they are £1k. Haha. So I thought I would sell my other bodykit to fund them. Got a few other bits lying about too so should get half the way there.

I made a pulley adaptor for the 36:1 trigger wheel so I can run the mega squirt ECU just have to find out the best timing position then that can be finished and fitted.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Few pics of the 36-1 Ignition trigger wheel spacer i made. It is to suit an ABF lower pulley. I had seen other menthods of mounting by welding a ring gear to the outer face, but as the pulley is a harmonic damper, i didnt want to disturb the outer edge.
Also, this method lets me centrally locate the trigger whell. I need to find out what orientation the missing tooth should be be at in relation to TDC then i can fix the trigger wheel in place. I will make it adjustable for fine tuning.

I also faced up the inlet manifold flange on the milling machine, ready to start constructing the inlet runners. I wanted to retain the injector holes so i can use the 1.8T injectors and fuel rail.

Mock up so i can get the tube length and angle understood. intially i was going to try and build the inlet runners straight in a similar fashion to the DTH throttle bodies, but after reading a number of threads where the DTH Jenveys are used, clearance with the bonnet is a big issue if running long trumpets, so i am going to angle the throttle bodies to sit under the front slam panel. In this orientation i should be able to get a inlet runner length of 15-16", compared to the DTHs which have a 13-14" runner length. this helps bring the torque curve lower, my aim is for peak torque to be about 4500rpm which will give me plenty of usable power. the DTHs are aimed more at flat out performance and high BHP applications.

I will start cutting pipes this weekend. The runner length needs to be 12cm, and over the distance go from a Round at the throttle body to Oval at the cylinder head. I had a go at forming the tube in the vice which works out ok but the 2nd time i tried it the pipe cracked so i am going to make an oval mandrel and try and shape it with a hammer.

eefy

Post by eefy »

About time you got some more work done on this mate ;)

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Time always gets the better of me buddy, I spread myself far to thinly with other projects!! I have managed to finish pretty much everything else tho now, so focus isn now directed back on the Rieger.

Started making my mandrel for forming the inlet runners. spent an hour cutting and grinding this 2" solid steel bar to the shape of the inlet ports. I havent finished it as need to buy a new inlet manifold gasket to get exact shape then I can start to make these runners.

Reckon another couple of nights work and we will be ready for welding the manifold up. shall get some more pics up soon.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Good to see this back fella.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

been pretty in the garsge recently, spent the last few weeks playing with the 16v cylinder head, cleaning it up, porting it intake side and generally trying to improve flow a bit more. The head already has had 3 angle valve seats cut and some other bits done. I still want to tart up the combustion chamber and give it a skim before it goes back together but yeah - we are getting there now.

All new brake lines and unions have been fitted to the car and I bought a new set of G60 discs for the front as well which are about to be fitted. I do need to make a couple of spacers for the G60 calipers as with them being on the floor / car/ bench / box / floor a number of times they have got lost.

With the inlet manifold and fuelling side of things I have decided to bite the bullet and just buy a set of DTH Jenveys for it. I would really like to make my own inlet manifold but time and patience has got the better of me. plus i know it wont be anywhere near as good as the real thing so yeah - this is the plan. I spoke to badger 5 the other day so they are getting me a price for everything. I am prob going to get the curved airhorn adaptors from him too as want to run as long an intake tract as posible to keep torque up. I already have 1.8T injectors so plan to run them, they should put out enough fuel to support 200bhp.

For the megasquirt I need to get a new coil pack, i'm thinking the ford EDIS one is what i will use. I need to get a VR sensor for the trigger wheel , a Air Temp Sensor and some other bits n bobs and we will be good to go.

I have a deadline you see - moving house, so in the next month, i loose my man cave again and the rocco goes back to the barn whilst i spend the next 12months doing up a house and building another garage! i would ideally like to drive it out of the garage when i leave, but being realistic - this AINT GONNA HAPPEN... because its me.. haha.

Chaps

Mk2 16v Rieger - DTH Jenvey's arrived

Post by Chaps »

DTH's jenveys arrived! shiny parts - bloomin expensive but heh, its gonna be worth it. I got the curved airhorns and 120mm trumpets, throttle pot and mechanism too.. not sure what sort of filter I want yet, maybe a dome PX600n one, but i quite like the idea of making a airbox and using a K&N Panel filter for behind the bumper Grill.

Also, we are out of the house, few more parts were bolted on to the car before we left! Getting the car on the trailer was a squeeze, the trailer was 1850mm wide, the width across the rear of the car to the outside edge of the tyres was 1860mm.. a little bit of leaverage on the trailer walls and some towels to protect the wheels and we just managed to squeeze it on. it was litterally winched on - and then winched off as it was stuck!!

Gave the car another wash before we pushed it into the barn and its ready to open up again.

In the meantime, i have been Porting & Polishing my cylinder head, just have to gasketmatch the inlet ports to the DTH's then its off to the machine shop for a skim to up the Compression Ratio. Really want to get some High Compression JE Pistons for it and rebuild the bottom end, but i am going to see how it goes with just a skim for the time being. Due to the 268degree cams i only need 11:1 really so taking a bit off the head should get me almost there. anything over 11:1 and you really shuold be running 278 degree or higher cams.

Also - borrowing a Rotary Table for the milling machine, so i can make myself a vernier pulley on the milling machine. I read this guide on ClubGTI, looks simple enough to do with a Rotary table.. check out the Youtube Vid below..

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?1 ... how-to-Diy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFHU7NxRWE

lots to do... why buy stuff when u can learn how to make it heh???

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

if anybody want my old GSXR Thottles, the manifold and tubing i have - drop me a message. could do with a clearout of parts.. also got a all the old K-JET and inlet manifold stuff i powdercoated which hasnt been used. its all in boxes as i had to pack everything up to move!!

eefy

Post by eefy »

glad its starting to come together mate, still looking forward to seeing this drive under its own power ;) still remember it hanging off the edge of the transporter when you took it down to the National Meet a few years ago-
100_4800.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Yeah mate, so am I. It will be a while before its ready but one day it will drive under its own steam. Think the last time it had a working engine was in 2008. Things get better with age I guess!!! Haha

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Love this car love the color and how changes in the light.I rember seeing a blue one on here for sale quite a few years back now person owned it in Ireland was blue I rember. Are there many of these in the U.K and around the World Chaps ? Real sorry about the Mitsubishi Evo my fav Japanese car.Our first mk 2 was rear ended at 40 m.p.h I was stationary at point to go onto a roundabout I'am very sure he was on a mobile phone and was near xmas when a lot of accidents happen on the roads.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
rss16vt
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by rss16vt »

Your car has a big brother! heres my Mk1 storm 16vt which I've owned for 20 years now, second pic taken at dub fest last weekend as car is back on the road after sitting for 8 years, regards Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Quite Fresh.Not sure about the strip and the dice but very rare car.Peace Gee Beats.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.