Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Original 16v Rocco Project

Post by GTXTRA »

frustrating yes - but terminal i doubt it.

not many people about on here given time of year so if you can hold on for a few days there will be other 'sparks' appearing and of course the Phirm re-open after New Year.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
jbo

Post by jbo »

...(sigh) i know sean, i know. lol

It's just a bit of a downer that I have no car at the mo and have to catch a bus full of weird smelling old people. There always looking at me too ha lol.

I was supposed to drop the haynes off with my girlfiends dad this morning but cant find the damn think. He should be able to sort it!

At least the car starts, I will concentrate on the fuelling problems and everything else that needs sorting, pleeenty to be getting on with.

Hopefully my mk1 seats will sell on here. Hint hint :hugegrin:

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Morning All!!!

Im making some more progress with the car! The mobile auto electrician guy came over on Thursday and had a look at the wiring. Turns out it is indeed a ground problem and shouldnt take long to fix. He should be coming over mid week to sort it out for £60.

I also fixed the fuelling problem. Turns out it was a shot lift pump!?!? Aaarrrrgghhhh after i spent and installed a £100 brand new bosch main pump lol. Nevermind!

Today I will be removing the exhaust of the 8v, moving the front ends over and changing the leaky heater matrix. Stay tuned for some pics too!

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Made some more progress on the car today! Mainly the electric windows.

I moved both regulators over from the 8v. When I originally installed them in the odl rocco the drivers door was missing the plastic clip that screws onto the windows itself. As i broke my old clip from the manual ones I had to install one from a mk2 golf. Only one of the screw holes line up. It works for the mo without any problems. When I replace the drivers door I will replace with a proper scirocco one. I will look at replacing this before a respray.

I moved the front end over from the 8v too.....muuucccchhh better me thinks! :hugegrin:

Out with the old....

In with the new...

What do you think? Not bad at all eh? Oh yea!

Im wanting to move the vdo gauges over too. Only prob is that the 16v car is running an oil cooler and i am unsure to which connector i sto be removed and replaced with the twin vdo sender I was running before. Blue or yellow wire? Whichever one I need to replace can I swap them around? I think there may be clearence issues! Any thought peeps......? I believe there is also another one on the head somewhere?

If anyone else is running an oil cooler on a 16v with a vdo sender any advice would be much appreciated!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Looking good - glad to hear the electrics are on their way to being sorted.

Try Mike to see if he still has the interior from the GTII he was breaking: http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... =31&t=3197.

Nice Lancia, too :ok:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Reverend Frog
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Reverend Frog »

a moot point perhaps, but i'd be getting that grille badge repainted red to go with the 'return to original' thang :hugegrin:

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
jbo

Post by jbo »

Reverend Frog wrote:a moot point perhaps, but i'd be getting that grille badge repainted red to go with the 'return to original' thang :hugegrin:
Not sure why its blue! From a different car maybe......?

jbo

Post by jbo »

Anyone got any thoughts on my oil temp/pressure senders?

Jason

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

From what I have been checking for my converted 16v:

On your 16v engine I would imagine you have 2 pressure switches on that oil cooler head. The sensor on the back of the head (behind the dizzy) is oil temp for the MFA. The 3 sensors on the side of the head are for coolant monitoring, plus the thermotime switch.

On a Golf 16v the yellow wire would go to the 1.8 Bar switch, having a white collar, and blue(/black?) wire to the low pressure with black or brown (or blue?) collar. I believe this is correct but have seen the collars stated as the other way around.

I think which pressure switch that the dual sender replaces depends on whether the dual sender incorporates a 0.3 or 1.8 Bar pressure switch... if that makes any sense! Should be stamped on it somewhere.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
jbo

Post by jbo »

filmidget wrote:From what I have been checking for my converted 16v:

On your 16v engine I would imagine you have 2 pressure switches on that oil cooler head. The sensor on the back of the head (behind the dizzy) is oil temp for the MFA. The 3 sensors on the side of the head are for coolant monitoring, plus the thermotime switch.

On a Golf 16v the yellow wire would go to the 1.8 Bar switch, having a white collar, and blue(/black?) wire to the low pressure with black or brown (or blue?) collar. I believe this is correct but have seen the collars stated as the other way around.

I think which pressure switch that the dual sender replaces depends on whether the dual sender incorporates a 0.3 or 1.8 Bar pressure switch... if that makes any sense! Should be stamped on it somewhere.

Awesome! It's a 1.8 switch. So I need to swap the twin sender with the yellow wired sender. If there is not enough clearence I assume I can swap the senders on the cooler around with no problems?

I have an oil temp gauge also. I will simply unplug the mfa. What's the point in having both wired in? People have told me that the sender cant accurately run the mfa and the sender. I know some people run a tapped off t-piece but im not bothered. If i sell the car I will remove my gauges and revert back to original.

Heres a pic of my gauges -

Jason

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Yes, you can swap the pressure switches between positions.

I read something that if you connect a gauge to the MFA sender it may read 25 degrees to hot - I assume this is due to sensor incompatibility, not installation position ie you need to swap the sensor for the one that comes with the gauge.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Is that an Audi gear knob, reverse in the wrong place?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
monzajake

Post by monzajake »

here you go mate might come in handy

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

That diagram is incorrect - the left-most of the two oil temp senders (above thermotime) is actually intended as coolant, not oil (the right-most one, on back of head, is oil, for MFA)

KE-jet has three coolant sensors, one each for ignition ECU, ISV, and gauge.

jbo

Post by jbo »

Thanks for the help everyone! I will prob wire this in on the weekend.

I've got the car booked in with the auto electric guy on thursday to sort that out and on friday it's in the garage to sort some fuel leaks and change my heater matrix. Really cant be arsed to do it myself. The last one was not fun! lol.

It looks like the car wont be driveable till the end of the month so im borowiing a friends gtx which used to be mine many a year a go. Hes put an evo 8 exhaust on it!! Ha lol it's very loud. Not my choice of mod but nevermind!