Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jbo
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Original 16v Rocco Project

Post by jbo »

Hi All,

Warning! The following images may cause offensive! (if wiring scares you then please close your browser!)

I have removed the dash today and had a look at the wiring. Jesus christ, ive got alot more to sort than originally thought. Im planning and hoping that the switch, ignition, and instrument looms can be swapped from my 88 8v gtx. Any thougths anyone? the same plugs from the 8v? I have noticed a few diferences on the main loom near the fuse box but i wreckon it will be a straight swap.

Any of these pics brin back memoirus sean? :hugegrin:

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Hi All,

Back from holiday so back on with this me thinks. Got the dash out the old 8v today and had a quick look at to loom and dash moumts.

The actual fuse box has the same connectors on the back but the 16v one seems to have a lot less relays......saying that i did find two standard relays crimped into the loom. I thought these related to the ignition but when unplugged the car ran fine. I will strip the loom as back as to the inside of the car only. Everything engine side has not been "extended/butchered" so I shouldnt have any problem here. I cant see why anything insde the car would be different. Even the pick-up pump is the same. I will caredully pull and label up the 8v loom and route it into the 16v. Hopefully fingers crossed i shouldnt have any problems here.

In regards to the dash i may have a problem.....it seemed that when the conversion was doen all they swapped was the steering and pedal componets to the right. IE the two mounts, one for the glove box and the right side of the instrument cluster are still in left hand. I could cut and reweld i suppose but I cant do that im afraid. I was thinking of just cutting both mounts off and relying on the far left and right mounts to hold the dash. What do you all think?

I thought i had a leak from the dodgey single wiper conversion but it appears to be the heater matrix. Fortunately the one in the 8v is only a few months old! Everytime the bonnet opens it catches on the wiper mount and it moves. You can lift in about an inch out with your hand! Aarrgghhh damn it! Why do people do these things.

I have put the correct whip antenna back on the ariel instead of the gay green alloy one. This obviously didnt work as a ariel has been fitted on the parcel shelf support and routed under the carpet! Why oh why!

The boot seal seems shot, again got a spare from the 8v.

The mfa vacumn tube was disconnected. I followed the pip back into the engine and was amazed by what i found! Im assuming the pipe has corroded at some point.....the line was replaced by a petrol one from a carb!!! There was even an inline fuel filter attached!

The fuel pump has been making some funny noises so i have taken the plunge and bought a brand new bosch one at £100. There was a cheaper alternative but i would rather not skimp on fuelling me thinks!

If you reading this previous owner............why oh why have you done what you have to this car! Im also not impressed to all the problems ive found that you "forgot" to mention. If i didnt have the spare 8v I wouldnt of bothered buying this lol.

So with much drinking and hopefully nicer weather the car will be finished with a correct loom, dash, electric windows, mk2 seats and all the stereo wiring!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

It looks like you should be able to convert to the original 2-wiper set-up fairly easily - although you might need a different motor for a LHD car. The sweep of the wipers will leave you with a curved section on your side of the screen and might be one reason why a single wiper was installed (I don't know if this improves the driver's side visibility though as it won't be as good as a proper RHD setup on a RHD car).

I used to own an early Volvo 340; Volvo didn't bother reversing the wiper sweep on these cars and it only mildly obscured the view.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jbo

Post by jbo »

Awesome thanks for the info. Thats what ive been wondering....is it the motor and/or the linkages.....

Another alternative would be to source a single wiper setup from a rocco. The one in there at the mo is from a mk2 golf hence it not fitting.

I cant see why you would fit it and then close the bonnet and think "nahhh itll be fine" damn it.

...i may be able to sort this one out maybe...hmmmmmm....

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

You ask why people are happy with bodging, that's the million dollar question!
It seems as if you are making progress, I look forward to seeing the car when the show season starts again.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

hey, had a beer with previous owner of my 16v reshell tonight - he'll be along soon for some 'back in the day' insight.

keep the faith.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
monzajake

Post by monzajake »

Hey man if you need a 8v loom which im pretty sure is the same give me ya details and i'll post one out,got a couple of spare ones, that only need a solder here and there...Would be much easier than trying to sort that one out..

jbo

Post by jbo »

ianaudia4 wrote:You ask why people are happy with bodging, that's the million dollar question!
It seems as if you are making progress, I look forward to seeing the car when the show season starts again.
I can't get my head around it lol. Especially everyone i've bought my roccos claim to love them. Nevermind!

Any way I have decided not to bodge in the end. I found out yesyerday they my girlfriends dad is a good welder so both mounts will be removed and swapped around as they are on the rhd.

Had a moment of weakness lol. Nothing on this car will be bodged!!! :hugegrin:

I hope so, the last thing on the car will be the respray so it may not be lookin too good at the shows!

jbo

Post by jbo »

GTXTRA wrote:hey, had a beer with previous owner of my 16v reshell tonight - he'll be along soon for some 'back in the day' insight.

keep the faith.

Awesome sean. Any advice and weird things too look out for will be much appreciated. After I have the fuelling sorted and the dash/loom back in i will def be taking it up to the phirm!

jbo

Post by jbo »

monzajake wrote:Hey man if you need a 8v loom which im pretty sure is the same give me ya details and i'll post one out,got a couple of spare ones, that only need a solder here and there...Would be much easier than trying to sort that one out..
Cheers for the offer matey! Much appreciated but i still have the untouched one from the 8v im breaking.

Nooooo def not trying to sort this one out. To be honest it all worked fine, I just want it all correct and looking like a normal rhd car....with added bonus of it being an original 16v. ;-)

If you think the pics look bad......you should see it in real life lol.

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

man you are doing well, car looks a mess. I met the car at Volksfest Wales five or six years ago and it was tatty then. Its brilliant that you are doing a proper job, such a rare car deserves it. :hi:

Bell and Coleville - look at that dash!

Everything will be cool with the 8v looms, but reckon only tricky bit will be the wiring for the ISV -where does it plug into on the fusebox or is it a stand alone loom? A lot of folks junk it on 16v conversions, using the 8v AAV, but if you are going for originality i guess it will be staying!

subscribed to this thread.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
jbo

Post by jbo »

The Autoad wrote:man you are doing well, car looks a mess. I met the car at Volksfest Wales five or six years ago and it was tatty then. Its brilliant that you are doing a proper job, such a rare car deserves it. :hi:

Bell and Coleville - look at that dash!

Everything will be cool with the 8v looms, but reckon only tricky bit will be the wiring for the ISV -where does it plug into on the fusebox or is it a stand alone loom? A lot of folks junk it on 16v conversions, using the 8v AAV, but if you are going for originality i guess it will be staying!

subscribed to this thread.
Cheers matey! Yea it is such a shame that the guy didnt keep it in good condition. The conversion wasnt his fault though lol.

Ahhh i was wondering about that, i wasnt even sure what it was until an hour ago ha lol....I had a quick look and it does appear to be on a separat loom. I will cut the metal mount off. It doesnt serve any other purpose other than the isv. Strange place to put it!

I'm looking at maybe moving the central locking over as well. Only prob is the petrol flap lock, there isnt a hole for the catch. If im going to do it now is the time! I may just ignore the flap and plumb the rest in. Hopefully this will be the last time i see a rocco in pieces for a while lol.

jbo

Post by jbo »

Merry Christmas all! Still feeling full from all the food! lol

Does anyone know the best place to tap the vacumn line for the mfa sender? The existing one was not plugged in. I've got a couple of T joiners lying around.

Im going to crack on with the car again tomm. More progress and pics to follow. Stay tuned!

Jason

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The MFA vacumn pipe goes to the dizzy and the back of the clocks

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
jbo