Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jbo
fill in the right answer: 10

Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Post by jbo »

Hi All,

I thought I would post up one of my cars on a forum for a change! I have been a lover of old skool vws since I was 15 when I saw my dads (eventually mine) 85 gtx. Now at the age of 24 i've owned 9 mk2 golfs, 2 mk1s, 1 cabrio and 7 gtxs. In case yourr wondering....no I havent crashed all of them. Most of them were sold on....ok i did crash two...lol. Most of them were bought in quite shabby condition where I have spent alot of time fixing them up, replacing the odd bit of trim and screw. I'ts half the fun me thinks!

The main reason im sharing this scirocco is because it's an original 16v kr gtx! This was converted by a company called Bell & Colvill. You may of seen the ad for this on the for sale page. Thanls sean for posing this up, I never would of found it otherwise!!!

In this thread im gonna try and document al the work i need to do to get this up to my high standards.

Before Photos

These pictures were taken by the original owner a couple of weeks before I picked it up.

As you can tell.....each to there own i suppose. Theres alot im planning to do to get this car back to the 16v look. Mainly the exterior and the dash conversion. Tommorrow I will make a list of all the problems and changes I plan to make to the car. Stay tuned!
Last edited by jbo on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GTXTRA

Re: Original 16v Rocco Projet

Post by GTXTRA »

very interesting, good to chat earlier.

looks like a 42mm manifold?

i'll get in touch with Mark, original owner of mine at time of 1992 reshell to see if anyother useful info forthcoming.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Read in your bit on the for sale ad that it's had a respray. Looks like whoever did it blanked the hole for the airiel and mounted a bee sting as well (unless I'm missing something which is perfectly feasible). Still, at least it's in good hands.

Good luck

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
jbo

Post by jbo »

Did the 16vs not have bee sting ariels? ....or I may be thinking 16v mk2s? No idea, its a shame they also smoothed over the holes on the hatch. I cant mount the badges back on. As much as I hate to do it i think im going to have to snap the tabs off?!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

16v had the bee sting as standard Jason.

jbo

Re: Original 16v Rocco Project

Post by jbo »

Converting the Conversion

Right then....this is the second time i've typed this. Decided to move desks for the day and forgot to send the post!

One of the first things I will be doing is finishing off this questionable rhd conversion. As quite a few people on here have told me, Bell and Colvill were critisiced in the mags for their quality of workmanship. Here is what I have found so far -

Dash - This is literally a cut and shut! The drivers side was cut out and moved over to the right. The glovebox was covered with a piece of wood and the whole dash covered in, now peeling, leather. The switches are in the wrong place and the cigarette lighter is still on the left of the centre console. im not sure if this was the previous owner, but both lower consoles are missing.

I will be moving the dash over from my gtx. GTXTRA has informed me that the steering mounts should have been correctly ported over during the conversion so fingers crossed it will be an easy fit. I will also add the lower trays as im not a fan of the bare extra spacious look.

Dash Loom - Quite frankly I dont know what to say here....i'd like to think of myself as pretty damn confident with auto electrics but scotch blocks to extend the loom?! Aaarrrgghhh?!?! I wouldnt even use these with speaker wire yet alone a loom! Im hoping that i can move the loom over from my gtx. I cant see why the 16v would be any different. If anyone knows otherwise then please let me know. I will feel alot better with this in place.

Door Locks - On a normal car you cannot lock a driver door while it is open. Pretty obvious why you would have this. (I locked my keys in the car last night and was out in the frost this morning with a torch, a slim jim and a screw driver!) On this car it is still set to the left door. Im not sure if this is part of the catch or the lock itself. Any ideas anyone? hopefully it is a straight swap.

Acc Pedal Stop - This is still on the passenger side. I may leave this where it is. I dont want a hole in the floor or have to worry how to fill it in. The carpet has been pulled over it. Not a huge problem at the mo.

I will try and get some done this weekend beofre i go on holiday. Can't wait till i get back already! ;-)

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

GTXTRA wrote:16v had the bee sting as standard Jason.
I am a spaz. Case closed.
Set yourself a time limit on geting it back to how it should be?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

jbo wrote:Converting the Conversion

Dash Loom - Quite frankly I dont know what to say here....i'd like to think of myself as pretty damn confident with auto electrics but scotch blocks to extend the loom?! Aaarrrgghhh?!?! I wouldnt even use these with speaker wire yet alone a loom! Im hoping that i can move the loom over from my gtx. I cant see why the 16v would be any different. If anyone knows otherwise then please let me know. I will feel alot better with this in place.

From what ive seen in the bently manual the 8v and 16v dash loom is the same. For air con models an extra loom was installed along with electic mirrors. Shouldnt have any issuse's there dude. Scotch blocks :shock:
Door Locks - On a normal car you cannot lock a driver door while it is open. Pretty obvious why you would have this. (I locked my keys in the car last night and was out in the frost this morning with a torch, a slim jim and a screw driver!) On this car it is still set to the left door. Im not sure if this is part of the catch or the lock itself. Any ideas anyone? hopefully it is a straight swap.
Im pretty sure that if the car has cenral locking then the master key side (your case passenger side) can be reversed. When you remove the door card you will see the activator just under the handle. Unscrew this and unclip if from the concecting rod to handle, diconect wiring. When you have it in your hand there should be two screw holes both side's of the unit.
What you have on the other side is the same but without a wiring loom instead it will have a vacume pipe. So you will have to swop passenger to drivers and drivers to passengers, very simple layout. Dont forget to reroute the master loom over to drivers side....

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

this a non sunroof model ?

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

monzajake wrote:this a non sunroof model ?

yeah, talking to Jason last night discussed the issue of how many cars were converted to rhd.

My understanding is that Bell & Colvill converted 6 cars but some of them MAY have been extra cars to the 10 official imports that came over in full GTX UK spec + leccy windows and including side repeaters - see the first shot in my a16 gtx project thread - that Jasons car doesnt have. Might be worth checking with them to see if any staff recall the conversions, they also did Alfa Spider rhd jobs in the day of the big plastic bumper versions.

very interesting car to finally see 'in the fold'. :vcool:

jbo

Post by jbo »

The car may have the electric windows and central locking..... The previous owner has done alot of random...questionable mods. It would save me alot of time with plumbing in looms etc. Especially with these shorter colder days?!

Jason

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

The conversion sounds pretty scary, but I'm 'seeing the potential', as estate agents like to say.

Hope you're going to bin the towbar!

The 16v engine loom is different from 8v, but I'd have thought the other stuff should be fine, as long as the fusebox is still on the LHS. Just fit a RHS door furniture from a UK car and that should solve the lock issues. You can keep your handle I think, and certainly keep the keys.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
jbo

Post by jbo »

Naaahh piece of cake! :hugegrin: Ive rebuilt enough of the damn things ha lol.

I will have a go at the lock issue when I get back from hol. Cheers jake for the advice too.

Ohh yes the towbar and wiring will be removed and up for grabs on here soon! Im also selling the leather interior! Its from a mk1 storm and ive even got the old school seat belt clips. Watch this space!

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Sean...forgot to say...ive just had a look through the hugeee amounts od paperwork with the car and it seeems it was some sort of low spec model gtx?! No electric windows or central locking. Im gonna have to move it all out of my other gtx...again! aarrgghhh!

Jason

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

jbo wrote:Sean...forgot to say...ive just had a look through the hugeee amounts od paperwork with the car and it seeems it was some sort of low spec model gtx?! No electric windows or central locking. Im gonna have to move it all out of my other gtx...again! aarrgghhh!

Jason

ok, they did two versions of the 16v in europe - a gt and a gtx spec. explains the seat swap.

here's some factory brochure shots of a gtx and a gt spec car-

the cars that came over as part of the '10' were all gtx uk spec + leccy windows and of course lhd. here is one of them -