Storm mk2 Project BILL

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
FuzzyEdges
fill in the right answer: 10

Storm mk2 Project BILL

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Long explanation; skip this bit if you just want to see the pictures!

This story begins in 1989 when a failed attempt at purchasing a white Scala from a Somerset VW dealer means my mother starts phoning around local used car dealers asking if they had any used Sciroccos for sale. A few days later a return phone call from a dealer says he has found a blue Scirocco and would she be interested? Well it wasn't white, it was much older but it did have leather, she might consider it.
I was still living at home at this point, I had started my first job and had money to spare, so I did the only thing I knew how to do at the time I spent it!
I purchased a Linn LP12 (ask your Dad!), the tone arm with the following months pay packet and then replaced my dull but trusty Chrysler Sunbeam with a MK1 Scirocco GLS purchased from Tim Stiles for the princely sum of £900 pounds. I had discovered driving and insurance on installments.
Meanwhile my Dad was trying to persuade my Mum to forget about the 'tarts car' and buy another Metro, I think this may have been the catalyst for the test drive.
A short drive later and around £5500 pounds the car was hers. I was excited I knew from her description when she returned home that it was a Scirocco Storm, we were now a two Scirocco family. The Storm was christened Bill due to its registration number B111. Fast forward two years, I've left home and moved to London I'm on my second MK1 GLS, I even joined a then new organisation called the 'Scirocco Register' (lapsed), my brother has a MK1 Golf diesel.
A few more years pass, Mum now wants a Golf convertible and after a bit of searching she ends up with a white GTI, I have a Scirocco Storm hand-me-down and my MK1 GLS goes to my brother.

Bill 1995

Fast forward a few more years I'm now married and after a brief fling with a Subaru own a family friendly Passat, my mum has Insurance with Saga and owns a Honda Civic, my brother now has a MK1 GLS and a White GTI convertible. How did that happen and why did I sell the Scirocco!

Fast forward even more years and we get to now, my brother is 'refreshing' his/my MK1 GLS and posting on this site when he sees an advert for a MK2 Storm he e-mails me saying it's cheap and could be a good project. With a twist of fate this car turns out to be Bill the very car I had sold many years ago.
This is going to be a rather personal restoration as the whole family is joining in. Oh and I still have the turntable too.

NOW, Bill leaving Cornwall on his journey home....

On the drive, yes the rear wheel arches are that rusty and one has been pre-bodged for me.
Yes they are crusty, but that's the worst of the bodywork and I can buy repair panels, hurrah!

Ooh look a hole in the filler neck, how unusual.

Why do people jack up cars using the sills? (note new fuel tank in back of picture).

Not looking too bad, but the pictures are flattering to the paintwork.

I hope to post a few progress reports as the work commences.
Any help with sourcing missing parts would be fantastic I'll post in the wanted section as I need them.

But a big Thank-you goes to the Scirocco Register if it didn't exsist this whole reunion and project Bill may never have started.
Last edited by FuzzyEdges on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

It's nice to be nice.
GTXTRA

Re: Storm mk2 Project BILL

Post by GTXTRA »

great story.
:good:

Serial Rocco-ist.........
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

More Pictures,
The front Inner wings and wings are in good shape -

and thanks to the finger model mark1gls.

Booo more rust -

A gratuitous engine shot -

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here's the latest installment......

The passenger side (N/S) sill looks good with only,minor surface rust, amazing considering that it's spent the last 25 years sandwiched behind a plastic bodykit.

The drivers (O/S) sill however keeps throwing up small suprises, yet another hole in that one!

The hole in the fuel filler neck has been welded...

...and the whole pipe has been painted with epoxy paint.

Another non standard part...

The gearbox appears to be the 4+E model and not the close ratio box, something else for the parts list? I can't decide if it's a good thing!

On a final note I was considering a 'group buy' on the repair panels on the rear arches, I'll post in the MKII forum and canvas opinions.

As ever more to come.
Last edited by FuzzyEdges on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's nice to be nice.
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

FuzzyEdges wrote:The passenger side (O/S) sill looks good with only,minor surface rust, amazing considering that it's spent the last 25 years sandwiched behind a plastic bodykit.

The drivers (N/S) sill however keeps throwing up small suprises, yet another hole in that one!

The gearbox appears to be the 4+E model and not the close ratio box, something else for the parts list? I can't decide if it's a good thing!
You appear to have your sides mixed up, unless your car is left-hand drive... near-side is near the kerb, so the passenger side.

I'd change the gearbox for the original-spec item. 4+E is all very well for a 1.6 carb engine, but you're wasting the DX with it... especially since the DX is more efficient than the carbed engines anyway (the 1.8 at least), so you don't really need the economy gearing.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

I've changed the text now. I was standing with my back to it......that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Last edited by FuzzyEdges on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Right on with the work, here's the donor car that'll be giving up its engine and gearbox.

A few hours later and a lot of swearing -

That bought back some memories; it’s been a very long time since I've removed an engine from a Scirocco, or any other car now that I think about it!

This now means I have two DX engines one economy gearbox and one close ratio 'box.
Hmmm, perhaps I'll rebuild one using a 2 litre bottom end!!?? Anyone got one going spare?

A haul of parts.

Here's my son admiring the twin engined Skoda!

I think he'll be getting dirty on this project somehow! Unfortunately he wasn't strong enough to help me get the engine out.
Anyone have some tips on removing the smell of petrol from car interiors?

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

The V5 has finaly arrived from DVLA I feel like it's mine now.

The lastest batch of pictures, more poking about and grumbling.
Works going slowly as I'm currently preparing a concrete base and building a new workshop at the top of the garden.
I knew the cost of this project might get out of hand!

Mark1GLS has removed the fibre-glass from the rear wheel arch 'repair' and revealed that the repair panel does not line up correctly, I'll start again I think. Also can anybody tell me what the 15" alloy wheels are called?

Front panel is remarkably straight with little surface rust.

Little surface rust below windscreen and I can't believe I hadn't noticed that the washer jets are missing!

Rust free, I wasn't charged for it.....

and finaly, all wrapped up like a Christmas Turkey whilst garaging arrangements are sorted

As soon as the workshop is finished and power (heating and light) is sorted I'll make a start on stripping the engine(s) and painting things.

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Keeping busy buying things and building the workshop to do the work in.
The concrete base is down at last and I have a shanty town at the bottom of the garden.

Still waiting for the wooden building to be delivered.
Then on with the engine rebuild.

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

I picked the worst day ever to build a workshop, but got most of it done between the heavy rain and winds
Here it is, just the roof to put on, insulate it and add power. Then move parts of project Bill in.

I hope it doesn't blow away tonight.

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Building a workshop, Christmas, bad weather and then redundancy what a list.
No wonder I didn't get anything else done.
Things are now starting on this project again.
I planning to take some time off when I've got a new career and strip the car ready for welding and paint.
I've decided to have this done professionally so the question is -
RECOMENDATIONS for a good body shop and a good trimming company to renovate the leather seats.
Based in either Somerset or Buckinghamshire, please.

It's nice to be nice.
FuzzyEdges

Post by FuzzyEdges »

Spoke to Martin from http://www.carmagic.co.uk/ today. I'm very impressed with Martin's enthusiasm for restoration projects as most car body/paint shops near me only seem to be interested in 'stock 'em high sell 'em cheap' insurance work. He's having a look at a few photographs so he can provide an estimate. If I can afford it I'll strip the car some more and trailer it to his premises and and get a proper quote. It's all starting again, hurrah, as now I'm itching to have a decent Scirocco again as a simple job like changing the 'fan' belt on my Passat -

Involves this much dismantling and lots of swearing, I even think my neighbour learnt a new one that weekend.

Regards,
Sweary Dave, sorry FuzzyEdges.

Gratuitous Scirooco Picture -

It's nice to be nice.
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Great story and great to have him back in your family gone full circle on him as with your family near enough.Any more news or up dates on this project would be great to hear from you about him.This is my favorite and best colour out of the two mk 2's that were built in Coventry.And I think it is a great colour and one of the best that was used for the mk 2.

And I can see know why and know why V.W used this as the colour for a mk 2 storm and I'am very sure it was used for the mk 1 storm.As it was the luxray model of the Scirooco that V.W built.

As we our now on our fourth mk 2 scala dx engine 8v and we have had three of these models now.One Alpine white, Helois Blue, and now we have another Alpine white one.I first got into this car's when the wife brought one in 99 and I brought off her.And the rest is history as people say.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by scrappy1382 »

good work there and glad the storm is back with the family.

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

6 years since the last post, I keep pestering my brother to hurry up and do it as it's not been touched :-(
I rolled it out of my parents garage a few months back as I needed some things out of the boot and that's the last time it's moved.......
I do feel sorry for it and see it most weeks but FuzzyEdges does have a lot on with work, life etc, hopefully one day soon it will see the road again.
Not to soon as I've rebuilt the spare engine which is meant to go in it and it's in my Mk1 Golf at the moment, cracking engine and goes well.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323