GT2 Restoration Ideas

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: GT2 Restoration Ideas

Post by mark1gls »

Steering rack, you just bolt on your old gear selector bits to the new rack.
It’s just about possible to change the rack with the engine in and car on axel stands but you will need to remove at least 1 track to get the rack out as there’s just not quite enough room to get the rack out.

New racks here but check they are the right parts before ordering.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/jp-group/8175 ... gKDsPD_BwE

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... ering.html

Also worth changing the rubber bushes when you have the rack off, someone did say the metal U clamps which hold the rack on do differ slightly (I could not see much difference) so try not to mix them up just in case.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
thxxx
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by thxxx »

Thanks Mark, those are the bits I was after as well I think, as mine are pretty crusty. I’m going to leave them in some rust solution overnight and see how they come out, otherwise I may be in the market for some new ones...

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

They are thick bits of metal so should be ok to treat the rust/grid then repaint and good to go.

Same with the wish bones, the genuine VW ones are far better than any aftermarket ones so clean/ de rust, repaint and fit new bushes and you good to go.

Membership No. 323
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

Hi Mark, its me!!! lol now i have 2 roccos.. anyhow is not the rocco steering rack same as golf? if it is then mark carter has full kits with bushes and gaiter(minus universal joint) its a good morning job on mk1 golf, so if all the same then with engine in it should be same job? Anyhow he's a link to marks page... And sod it here's mine also.. id buy marks kit and fit for you. with tracking done.
www.kennysclassiccars.co.uk

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/steering-r ... 5288-p.asp

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Just to give an idea of the rust...
I will have a go and wire brushing and grinding and see how thin it looks in places. This one has really suffered with the sea air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

My view is that is a bit too far gone. Difficult to be precise without seeing it in the flesh.

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Yea, I think so too. The gear linkage mounts that attach to the rack are similar, but I think will be ok with some grinding. I’ve got them sat in a rust bath at the moment so will see what they look like when they come out.

Thanks guys for the rack info, this one isn’t actually that bad, but good to know they are available for a reasonable price!

I have posted something in the brakes section about two different sized brake servo’s, and am unsure which I should be keeping. The larger one looks like a later addition as thé brake lines have been re-routed around the engine bay, but I’m not quite sure what the benefit is here or what brake servo it is!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

That wishbone does look bad on the picture and possibly to far gone, grind and see what’s left...

Yes Mk1 golf steering the same, Mk1 golf cabriolet have a lot of similar running gear as the Mk2 Scirocco as they were both in production at the same time till 1992 ish..

Membership No. 323
thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Ok... 10 points for anyone who can tell me what this is? Maybe a fuel inertia cut off switch? And a few pics of the whole one coming back together!

Also, the last picture is of the brake servo, where the previous owner had literally chopped the back of the old servo off and bolted this one to the front of it. Very, very odd. Image