Mk2 Scala 1.8 k jet - replace or repair restoration

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Luke_Scala2
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 Scala 1.8 k jet - replace or repair restoration

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Hi guys!

I have just bought my first scirocco, not first Retro VW I’ve owned, but I’m really happy with it. The body work is pretty much 100% straight, it’s been resprayed, not the best job but certainly looks the part! The engine runs really well, pulls well and sounds the part. Runs a tad rich but nothing to worry about. It’s got 153K on the clock so it’s a fairly high miler but not the end of the world.

However! When paying a fairly cheap price for these older cars, especially ones like mine where it has been stored for 7 odd years they aren’t without faults. Lower control arms, track rods, springs/shocks and a substantial amount of the bushes clearly need replacing, along with some potential welding on the passenger sill and definitely on the bottom of the door. I don’t mind spending the money to get this fixed as I have a friend who runs a body shop/me and my friends can replace parts and have access to a lift.

My question to the more experienced of you with this situation. Is do I replace ALL the bushes, slightly corroded parts and suspension etc, fully repair the rust patches etc or just replace what NEEDS replacing, and do a good enough job on the rusty patches.

I’ll be dailying the car ideally and will want to keep it for a long time, hence me not minding saving up for the initial investment.

Thank you guys in advance!

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 Scala 1.8 k jet - replace or repair restoration

Post by the edmundator »

I’d replace all of the bushes at one go if you’ve got the time and money. If you’re using it regularly and covering lots of miles, use OEM spec rubber bushes rather than polyurethane, unless your back isn’t important to you.

In general, if you’re planning to keep it several years, do all the jobs properly, first time.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Luke_Scala2
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mk2 Scala 1.8 k jet - replace or repair restoration

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

thanks mate, thats what ill do i reckon! its going to my mates shop tonight to have a one over and double check everything that needs doing, to see if the body/crucial mounting points etc are all fine and then ill get to replacing everything.