Mk2 1.6 the longer term project

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Ebies
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mk2 1.6 the longer term project

Post by Ebies »

I made a start on the middle arm rest.
I started with a very simple design. Upright support that fits between the two seats and a single pivot point.
That gave me this;
This wasn't going to be the finish item as it still needed rounding off and a actual finish applied. It did give me some design feedback.
1st issue with this design is that with my arm resting on the support, it leans forwards. This means I'm going to have you extend the base of the tower to change its leverage point.
2nd issue is that with the arm support in the folded away position,it sits very high and falls forwards very easily under braking.

Attempt two
ImageImage
This time the arm complete moves around the fixed pivot point which allows it to sit much lower when folded away and can unfold under braking
Here a how it's pivots
I add a wooden box section that sits just behind the handbrake that the arm rest tower slides onto and then I screw in the armrest tower to the box section to extend its leverage point.
The reason I've done it this way is because all the cars modification are modular and havent made any final changes to the car. Therefore the car can be reverted to standard with very little effort.
A couple of people on the FB page pointed out I could just buy a universal arm rest but i didn't because I want to.
I wanted the arm rest to flow into the design of the rest of the boot build.
ImageImage

So the top of my speaker boxes line up quite well with the arm rest and the plan is to join them all together to look like one solid unit.
This is how the speaker boxes were made
There was even some Pythagoras used which I haven't needed since school

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

MDF is very heavy and won't respond well to moisture in the car (which is common inside mk2 Sciroccos). I'd consider remaking it in marine ply when you're happy with the design.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BlackGTX »

Some good r&d going on