Mk2 1.6 the longer term project

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Ebies
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: RE: Re: Mk2 1.6 the longer term project

Post by Ebies »

mark1gls wrote:Check the bulkhead where the clutch cable comes into the engine and check for any splits/cracks on the bulk head if the has not got a some sort of bulkhead reinforcement plate fit one as soon as possible, really bad design by VW and the cable will pull through the bulkhead and make a nasty hole sometime in its life....
I've checked the bulk head and it's been reinforced so that's good. The cable itself was fine, just the hook that connects the cable to the pedal that broke, due it to be fitted incorrectly.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Ebies

Re: Mk2 1.6 the longer term project

Post by Ebies »

So one of the things bugging me about this car from day one were the struts in the boot. They only just held the boot open, but any change in wind direction or slightest movement and it came crashing down (Normally onto my head). So they had to be replaced.
Had some issues finding ones to fit, chucking in MK2 struts into the bay on bought up an expensive set from aboard.
After some hunting I found MK2 golf boot struts that looked similar to what was fitted. So I took a punt and got a set. They were going to be fitted either way.
They do fit, it's a straight swap, the only hard part is removing the ball joint bit from the old struts, I grinded the out case of but it could be done with a junior hack saw.
They just pop into the MK2 golf struts.
Here's what I bought if anyone ever needs it.

I also got for Xmas, one of my favourite cheap upgrades, a remote central locking kit.
This are cheap on eBay and is one of the few modern luxuries I miss.
Installation is easy, the only hard part is hiding the wiring.
You only need a drill, screw driver/s and a few electrical connectors
For £15 odd I really recommend it. It can be installed in an afternoon.
Most kits consist of 4 actuators, 4 rods,a control module, two fobs and mounting screws.
In theory you can hook it up to all the doors but I only ever to the front doors.Image

And this is the reason why my car will fail it's next MOT in its current state
Not a bad hole, I've seen much worse and for a car of its age I'm very impressed by the lack of rust but this is an issue and the next fix I need to tackle. Hopefully fixing this won't lead me to more rust....

Ebies

Post by Ebies »

So seats, my driver's seat was really letting the entire car down and it was getting worse every time I sat it in. So I took a leap of faith and bought some Audi TT seats.
I did a bit of research first, asked on FB and checked google and didn't come up with much. Alot of people asked why those particular seats, one chap just said no don't do it (no explanation or anything)
Then finally one chap said the seats do physically fit but the bases have to be majorly modified.
That was all I needed to hear, that the seats could physically fit.
After some searching and waiting, I found these on eBay only a few hours away from me.
They were exactly what I wanted, blue leather seats that fold forwards.
Came with the rear seats to, they are to small to fit into the Rocco but mine are in good condition so it doesn't matter.
I had a few hours of daylight left to play this afternoon after collecting them, so I thought I'd start making them fit.
I started with the passengers side for obvious reasons and here they are next to each otherImage
I quickly tried the new seats with their organial rails to seat if they might fit. Short answer is no.
So looks like I would have to swap the bases over
After some very easy dismantling, I do love working on these cars, I had this;Image
Thats the orginal back of the seat and the lower foam which is in to good a condition to bin so I'm open to offers on it of anyone is interested.
And I had this;
[/IMG]Image
The TT seat rails very easily unscrew
So now I need to find a way to mate these two togetherImage
After some inspection, I saw that cutting these bits of metal would free the rocco rails from the seat frameImageImageImageImage
Now here is where I got a little lucky, the TT seats have a flange that it's rails bolted to and the Rocco seats have a flange (not sure of its purpose) and the two happen to line up very well.Image (TT seat flanges)
Image TT seat with Rocco rails in rough position.
So the plan was simply to grind the paint of both surfaces and weld them together. Sadly by this point in the day I was losing sunlight but I only managed to tack the rails on.
ImageImageImage
Not the best welding, but I do plan to go over it and put at least one bolt through not for extra strength.
But the rail is onImage
And more importantly, the seat fits well.
This is it's final location, it's missing the middle runner which dicates the position of the seat forwards or backwards.
But it has full use of the runners so I can't see that causing to many issuesImage

And I'm always suprised by the carrying capacity of these cars
ImageImage

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

nice! i like those tt seats, can you get a few more pics of where you cut and welded them together please as i cant quite see it in the pics.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

With James on that, them seats are a very nice touch

Jack
South East

www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk
Seat Leon 1.8T 20V - Track Car
VW Scirocco Scala 1.8 Inj - Toy
Ford Transit 2.0 - Work Horse

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
Ebies

Post by Ebies »

james butler wrote:nice! i like those tt seats, can you get a few more pics of where you cut and welded them together please as i cant quite see it in the pics.
I'll try and get some better pictures on the weekend for you bud

Ebies

Post by Ebies »

Jack92 wrote:With James on that, them seats are a very nice touch

Jack
South East

http://www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk

Ebies

Post by Ebies »

So here are some (hopefully) better pics of what you need to remove the scirocco outer rails from the frame and where to mount them on the TT frame.
I've coloured them to hopefully make things clear, and not matter which picture you look at all the things circled by blue are always the same, same rule applies to all the colours

So you want to grind/cut the orange weld and the blue weld

Then you want to do the same to the green weld
This is only half the welds you need to cut, but as the seats are symmetrical, the other welds you need to remove look the same.

On the base of the TT seat are these flanges which the TT rails bolt too (in purple) you just need to grind the paint off these to get a good weld.

On the scirocco rail, there are these to flanges, I don't know there orginal purpose, but they are useful here. They need the paint grinding of again for welding.Image

The it's just a case of mating the two together, there may be some other parts of the scirocco rails that can get in the way the two surfaces sitting flat together, but you can just grind these away.
Finished product should look similar to this
ImageImage

I do now have the drivers seat fully fitted but didn't take many photos of how I fitted the middle rail, so shall get some on the weekend. But here's what the final item looks like fitted,

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

They look like they was fitted in the factory... Can you still lower and raise the seats like the original ones?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Ebies

Post by Ebies »

mark1gls wrote:They look like they was fitted in the factory... Can you still lower the seats like the original ones?
Sadly the bottom of the seats are fixed in that position but, I've set them up so they are at the angle I find comfortable.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes it's not the sort of thing you adjust every day, as long as you get it right in the 1st place it should not be a problem unless you have a 7ft friend who wants to drive your car... :-D open the sunroof might be the answer to that one...
Well worth trade off though as the TT seats look super comfortable to sit in.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Ebies

Post by Ebies »

mark1gls wrote:Yes it's not the sort of thing you adjust every day, as long as you get it right in the 1st place it should not be a problem unless you have a 7ft friend who wants to drive your car... :-D open the sunroof might be the answer to that one...
Well worth trade off though as the TT seats look super comfortable to sit in.
Yeah exactly, it's built for me, so everyone else can suffer ;) thou I'm gunna put the passengers seat in the most comfortable position I can.
The seats are nice but my favourite part is the head rests that tilt forwards

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Yeah they do look really nice, and very nice job bud good tutorial, might be worth the mods moving it somewhere so it can be found easily :-)

Jack
South East

www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
Ebies

Post by Ebies »

Last edited by Ebies on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebies

Post by Ebies »

Here is the last part of my seat modification.
This is what the lower part of the rocco seat look likes with the tub removed.
This is what I needed to attach to the bottom of the TT frame. It is possible to weld the to frames together like this but when mounted in the car the seat points at the sky. So modifications need to made.
I ended up with this;ImageImage
This 'T' Sits Very well on to the tt frame and gives some good mounting points.
This is the current base of the seat and then the seat with the 'T' in place to show you what I used as mounting points
ImageImage
The two metal tabs at the bottom at the seat don't make for a great place to weld to (at least at my skill level). To make it easier for me weld, I added some metal tabs that I can wrap around the tube of the metal 'T' and then weld them together
ImageImage
At the top end, the 'T' only slightly touches TTs metal frame, whilst a small weld can be used to hold the frame in place, I made some brackets create more surface area.
ImageImageImageImage

That's it. Just a case of refitting the seats into the car.

Admittedly the new seats don't leave much rear leg room as they don't have the curve back the original did but I didn't buy the car for its back seats.
And that also opens the car up for other possibilities

Hope this helps any future person who may want to try this.