Mars Red GTI 20v turbo

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
dozzum
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mars Red GTI 20v turbo

Post by dozzum »

The engines only done 60k miles so I didn't see any reason to take the head off will just be changing the rocker and sump gaskets.

After getting the engine stripped as far as I needed I set to work cleaning it, a bit of degreaser got the worst if it off before scrubbing it with a strong detergent and finishing off with lots of Isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

I then wire brushed any loose rust and paint off the block before giving it a coat of rustbuster rust converter.

A final key then rinse and wipe with the IPA and it was ready to mask up and paint with some POR15 engine enamel.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Z2131 using Tapatalk

james butler

Post by james butler »

so thats what in IPA no wonder i get bad guts the following day!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Ok so it's been a while since I updated this.

I didn't really touch the car over Christmas/ new year and then struggled to get back into it but it's full steam ahead again now especially after Liam Dummelow let me have a drive in his car and I realized how fun it's going to be.

So I got a load of parts cleaned up with some degreaser,the rocker cover needed a bit more work do I threw it in the dishwasher first then attacked it with some Mr muscle oven cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Then everything was masked up with aluminium tape to protect it from sandblasting.

After a bit if fettling I got my blaster up and running and all the parts cleaned up nicely.

I used crushed glass which I bought from.a local sandblaster for £7 for 25kg which is dirt cheap compared to typical blasting media and it's a lot less aggressive on the base metal but still gives it a nice key.

The only bit it struggled with was the paint on the boost pipe and I gave up getting it all off in the end, if it's stuck on that well it won't do any harm.

I gave all the parts a quick coat of a phosphoric acid etching solution from Rustbuster as the VHT paint I was going to use says to spray directly onto bare metal and I didn't want any oxidation forming before painting and it should give a nice etch in the metal.

The paint I used was VHT wrinkle plus black which I watched loads of videos/ read loads of guides of people using and they all had slightly different methods and got varying degrees of wrinkling.

I wanted a rather fine wrinkle and from what I wasn't certain on how temperature, thickness of application/ number of coats would affect the height/ thickness/ concentration of wrinkles and to be honest I still don't really know [emoji23].

So last night I tried a few test pieces and in the end I settled on 3 heavy coats in a crosshatch as the instructions suggested.

After the 3rd coat most people seem to go over it with a heat gun which I really could be bothered with and as I have a plethora of electric heaters and empty cardboard boxes I made some ovens which seemed work nicely in about 15 minutes giving me time to spray the next piece.

I did try leaving one to dry naturally overnight in my garage but it barely wrinkled.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Z2131 using Tapatalk

essextom

Post by essextom »

Looks oking good mate

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Looks great :good: