87 16v Descent into madness

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Resto Rocco
fill in the right answer: 15

87 16v Descent into madness

Post by Resto Rocco »

This thread will chronicle my slow decent into madness and my fast journey into the poor house. (What else are VWs for)
This thread will cover the restoration of my 87 16V. For right now Im just trying to get it to a solid state of repair. :dash:
When I was looking for another car after my lancer decided to chuck a crank, I was looking for a 66 Bug to restore.
It seems I am living in the correct place for rust free bugs,(Floriduh) but people here know this. Even a ragbag of a 66 here is in the 4k(us) and up range.
Having little money to work with as we are preparing for a move to another state, I settled on doing another water-pumper. My wife, and love of my life suggested a Scirocco. As she has a love of them. (Isn't this where the mistakes generally start?) So with no real 16v knowledge, I set forth to wreck our finances even more.
As Sciroccos are becoming rare in the states, I had to settle on a car I really wasn't wanting or anticipating. See in my little mind, I wanted an MK1. Instead and against my better judgement I took what was available within a 8 hour drive at the time. An 87 16V. This car has done less then 9k in the last 10 years. Most of those on the track. As a result of weight savings, I have much to replace over time before I even start the restoration. As a result of the P.O. laziness and lack of mechanical skills, I have much to rebuild and repair. Well I have rambled on enough for now. On to the BS at hand.

These pictures were taken the day I got it home.

In my next post I will discuss the laundry list of repairs, mods and replacements Ill have to contend with as well as share a few of my fixes and projects Ill be involved with in the rebuild of this nightmare.

eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 87 16v Decent into madness

Post by eefy »

Fella we have the same issue in the UK with the main VW community now realising how cool the MK1 is, as a result there now getting very expensive compared to the prices 5 years ago :)

Good look with the resto and keep us up to date :)

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

decent project, think of all those new skills it will teach you

Resto Rocco

Post by Resto Rocco »

At the moment that is 16v fuel systems. Personally, I wish I could skip this skill set.
And because Zee Germans could not be bother with learning how to wire a car in the first 50 years. I am in the middle of that as well. No biggie there. I have a game plan to rewire the whole car in 3 stages. This way if I work out the fuel system. I might get use of the car I have owned for 6 month. :-)

Resto Rocco

Project: 1 Replace "catch can"

Post by Resto Rocco »

First little side project. Replace the high end and stylish Castrol GTX catch can. I realize that this is a highly desirable high end set up for the discerning racer. However, I'm thinking something a bit less drastic. This awesome setup is available for sale if anyone is interested? :hugegrin: Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I did taking them.
ImageImage

I'm sure this is not the end of the great surprises I'll find. Already I've found out the hard way that the "Previous Jack-a-lope", instead of replacing the crappy designed nerf throttle attachment point. He wrapped some thin gauge wire around the pedal and cable. I found this out pulling into 60 mph traffic when it decided to fail. Cant tell you just how much fun that was. That was the day before it stopped running. :) But I digress...

I'm hoping the last part comes into day and Ill be able to shoot a few photos of my sorted "Catch-can"

Way more to come!

Resto Rocco

Post by Resto Rocco »

I think this worked OK. Im not sure If that is going to be high enough though.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the subject?

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Resto Rocco wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the subject?
Worst case what's going to happen? The vapour will condense in the hose and run down into the catch can. :good: