Saving the Scirocco2Morocco trailer

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Redrum
fill in the right answer: 10

Saving the Scirocco2Morocco trailer

Post by Redrum »

So, back in 2008 me and Andy Ward drove down to Morocco and back (almost) in Scarlett (Mk2 Scala) We pulled a custom made trailer behind us and covered nearly 4000 miles and raised about £5000 for charity. Here she is at the end of the challenge.
Nealry 10 years later and Scarlett has been critically damaged by a moron in a truck. Andy sold me the trailer (which is the same colour as my Mk Scala) so that I could store it and give it some TLC as it had been sat idle for a while following the crash and subsequent issues with insurance. (long and sad story that one)
After a year or two of sitting in my garage waiting for me to have time (kids, money... another sad story) I have finally got around to starting the project.
Firstly, I have rubbed down the bulkhead on the front as it was showing signs of rust around the weld points. Nothing major there, so it just needs another rub down and respray.
Next I tackled the stickers that still adorned the trailer from Andy's last challenge. They were a bugger but came off without damaging the paint :) Next, I looked at the bootlid. It has a large rust hole around the corner of the rear window.
Today, I have rubbed down the rust, filed the edges to be smooth and treated the surfaces with rust killer.
Tomorrow the plan is to tackle a bit more surface rust, put mesh under the hole, then try to fill with fibreglass filler before a rubdown and respray. Its in a nasty place but Im hoping the repair will look fine until a better budget can replace the whole bootlid.
The future plans?.... Well. See below :)
As is...
The plans for inside:
And with the blind across....
So in brief, Im hoping to add a power supply (battery wired up to charge when hooked to the car) Then also a TV/DVD to hinge down from the roof with speakers in the trailer somewhere. Im hoping to add a hingeable front window to allow for easy access to
the front load area (not sure yet) Also, carpeted interior, side bins under the side shelves, removable side shelf extensions (to allow for larger loads up front), a roller blind to hide the contents of the trailer and a bloody good tidy up. A history wall with photos, stickers, momentos etc. Lastly to finish her off nicely, an engraved plate detailing her build date and purpose inside the redundant fuel filler flap.
Not much then!!
If anyone can advise on aspects of this, help with parts or even help out in the build I would be very grateful. This trailer has been well known in the register as a fundraising tool and real eyeturning addition to the cars on display. I really want to keep this alive to continue to raise money for those in need, as well as giving the show goers something different to look at. Who knows, if I can get it finished this year, it might (just might) take on a 10 year S2M anniversary in honor of Scarlett next year.
I'll post updates as they occur, provided the kids allow that plan to take place!! :D

BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Saving the Scirocco2Morocco trailer

Post by BlackGTX »

is there a link to the otiginal road trip?

eefy

Post by eefy »

Looking forward to seeing this build/re-build :)

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

https://youtu.be/BsKjXdiJOEM. Link to teaser on YouTube
The whole video was never uploaded but does exist.
The website is still active. Google scirocco2morocco and you'll find it. On the site look for posts from September 2008.

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Progress today has been to finalise the first filling, rubdown and primer. This showed up one or two minor imperfections as expected. Tomorrow fill be one last filler session followed by rubdown and another coat of primer and a coat or two of Matt black. I'm curious to see what the whole thing looks like in black. If I don't like it, I'll redo the lower strip in red again.
You can see that the left badge holes are gone now. The right ones remain to hold the transporter badge once done.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Saw it today and properly excited.
It's solid, Glen's realistic about what's possible and what he wants and the timescale is easy.
Looking forward tonit

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.