Out of the blue GT2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Aflinds
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Out of the blue GT2

Post by Aflinds »

BlackGTX wrote:awrsome stuff boiled linseed, gotta take if off the paint before it dries or you have to scrub it off

huge difference to that spoiler though. cars coming along nicely
Ah, will soon see how carefree I was applying it in that case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Had some fun over the last few days and nights using the scirocco and getting to know more of its plus and not so plus points!

Managed to sort the Matt paintwork so it is looking less neglected now

Changed the plates which wasn't helping the appearance

Although I haven't got to the bottom of the dash light saga yet I have been creating some replacements

And since the sun was out went on a road trip

Spending a lot of time searching for wheels also...

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

some more good work, where in the country are you?

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

BlackGTX wrote:some more good work, where in the country are you?
By worthing on the south coast

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Soooo found 5 minutes for some fun today and so went about spraying the repair for the rear light...
Unfortunately the more seal I removed the more I realised it needs more time on it so did a little rust stop and put it back. I will be buying a new seal. Before I do, did I see a SR special deal for these boot seals somewhere??? Cheaper than heritage?

Was fed up after breaking the cap on passenger side wiper when I first got the car, so I removed with the intention of painting... what's the worst that could happen as I would like to replace anyway

Took a while to dry

Was so enthusiastic I wanted spray some nuts, until I realised the rattle can had issues!
Dipped rather than sprayed

While the hammerite was out
Front

And rear
But I only took a picture of the finished rear?

Was fed up with my rusty gear stick so again with the hammerite
Bet that surprised you?

I must have spent half a cup of tea contemplating about the colour choice... it is still white but the debate rages on (in my head)...

Have spent a lot of time in the week trying to make sense of the dash wiring, but with it all buttoned up for now I put the mats in after their stint in the boot. Not before making them functional again

Even treated the interior

With a few minutes of light remaining I dove into the bay to fine something to do...
Thought this would be the best place to start to find a dodgy connection. Not much found but another part of the scirocco is slightly cleaner and with rejuvenated nuts, bolts and washers I'm confident the problem isn't there!

Where's the fridge [emoji481]...

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

some nice tidying up going on. wasnt expecting the white paint on the gearstick

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

BlackGTX wrote:some nice tidying up going on. wasnt expecting the white paint on the gearstick
From the outside when you see other areas of alpine white it makes you smile but it's verging on offensive when sat in the car! Will have to sleep on it...

Forget about the rough running, poor coilovers, vague steering and the impending doom of an MOT next month. This is where I spend my concerns [emoji23]

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

hallmarks of a true long term project. wheels look original too, a colour change might look better

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Looking good buddy. Keep chipping away.

Beware leaning air freshners against anything. They melted the plastic streering column in my Audi when hung off the indicator stalk. Would hate for you to damage your seat.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

steve bain wrote:Looking good buddy. Keep chipping away.

Beware leaning air freshners against anything. They melted the plastic streering column in my Audi when hung off the indicator stalk. Would hate for you to damage your seat.
true that, had one melt part of the dash on my polo

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

steve bain wrote:Looking good buddy. Keep chipping away.

Good shout. Wouldn't know what I'd be more annoyed about: damage to the seat or it being a 'fluffy towel' scent... [emoji23]

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Another day another rush for time on the GT2. Managed to get the clay bar on the top half of the car between the showers today

So last week was t-cut, today bar, next week I will be tickle pink to get the polish out!
The paint now looks respectable (not reflection less)

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

very nice. im sure i have already mentioned that i have a few bits and bobs still around from my storm i ended up breaking. if you get time ? pop up my way , im pretty sure i would be able to help with a few of the issues you mentioned

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

what went wrong today?

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

A slightly less positive post regarding the Rocco after being left at the side of the road on 2 occasions [emoji853]

Went to pick it up in style

Last night luckily I had some enthusiastic bodies willing to push if required... equally as enthusiastic to document my troubles!

So after the weekend of here and there journeys the Rocco was fine, come Mondays commute to work, cough splutter, no drive and even a bang or 2!
Removed the battery and left on charge for the day (was 12.8 before then 13.8 after). Put it back into the car and it drove perfect.... didn't think the battery would have that effect but hey ho. Last night went for a drive stopped at a pub for an hour and returned to the car for it to struggle to start? When it did start it wasn't the same as before (like it was lumpy/ 3 cylinders for example). Next pub and another hours rest and another struggle to start. When it did it was again running odd, then after trying to force myself to smile round a few roundabouts it decided to struggle and serenade me with numerous back fires and eventually die!

Long story short I'm going to replace the battery as it's too much of a coincidence. But I (and different people I speak to) didn't think a battery could have this effect on an engine of this age? I still have the military grade earth strap connecting the engine and bulkhead...

Any advice appreciated as always...