Operation Shazbot-Cosford 2017 or bust....

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Operation Shazbot-Cosford 2017 or bust....

Post by duggers »

PART 1- A short history
As I have missed the annual gathering for a few years due mainly to work commitments or clashes with my wedding anniversary (SWMBO doesn't restrict my car related shenanigans much but does expect some sort of annual gesture :-D ) I am determined to get my sad looking Rocco on the road and to the National meet even if I have to wear a bag on my head to avoid the shame of having such poor paint and many dinks and dings of neglect on the car.
I have owned it for a few years now and it was in reasonably good shape when first purchased in August 2004.
It's a 1988 GTX finished in Rock Grey LK7V (how appropriate as my fave music genre is Rock...)
As you can see in the pictures below it came with BBS RZ(?) fitted and had been given a blow over to colour code the body kit at some stage in its life. This unfortunately has led to its current patination as the paint job was plainly done on the cheap, but more of that later.

I ran it for about 2 years before relegating it to second fiddle on the purchase of a 16V from a member on here.

I then found myself in a Rocco desert after selling the valver and funding kids at uni among other life annoyances so my GTX sat and slowly, a bit like the owner, got older and a bit tatty around the edges.
I picked things up a bit a couple of years ago and began the task of reviving the car with a focus on solidity and a mechanical refresh.

I did a small bit of welding to deal with some minor corrosion at the rear near side sill and beam mount.
Then began the search for bargains-Part 2 to follow.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
the edmundator

Re: Operation Shazbot-Cosford 2017 or bust....

Post by the edmundator »

I think you'll find your GTX had colour coded body kit from the factory. Presumably it also has the slightly checked style seat fabric, rather than the thick stripes of the earlier GTXs. VW made them like this for one model year until the Scala was changed to fuel injection and the GTII became the carbed 1.8 model. The bumpers and wing mirrors weren't colour coded on these GTXs.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
duggers

Post by duggers »

To be honest none of the car is really painted these days :). It had HY trim when i first got, pretty dull, it but was a bit tired so fitted a good GT interior, however i do have leather awaiting a re-colour when i get some readies and time.

Membership # 432
BlackGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BlackGTX »

more pictures

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Will be good to see you at Cosford!
Welcome back.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
duggers

Post by duggers »

Only got some pics post work but here they are for the interested.....

The underside as it sits today

Random bush shots....

All the bushes were bought as a kit when GSF did a clearance on a Pro-Thane kit for Golf mk1. As the anti roll bars are thicker I sourced the bushes elsewhere. Everything was bought on offers or as NOS.
Rear beam swivel bushes were replaced and rear strut bushes as they came as part of the kit.

Replaced the dampers all round and re-furbed rear drums so chassis wise it only needed a small welded patch to the front n/s floor where it meets the sill, standard grot spot mainly due to water which pools there because as usual there is a screen leak :-(
i'll dig out some more chassis refresh pictures if I can retrieve them from my karked old laptop.
It's fair to say this is a refurb at the lowest cost possible and over the years I spent more than the car is worth but due to the awful paint it doesn't look that way.
More to follow

Membership # 432
duggers

Post by duggers »

So got some more pics and , wait for it a VIDEO of the start up after a bit of a bottom end refresh. Sounds a bit rattly on the vid but its actually quiet in the flesh.
Lets start with some more bush....
You can see the car has been stood for a while, had to make some arachnids homeless Lol

A general view of the underside from the rear, all nice and solid.

I retrofitted headlight washers, note retro alarm, very 80's

And the first run up after the bottom end refresh

Doing some small jobs to tidy the interior and controls which i'll uopdate soon.

Membership # 432