Yoda

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Mr Funk

Yoda

Post by Mr Funk »

Okay, okay.

Before any of you start I realise it's not a rocco.

But I needed another toy and have wanted another Mk1 since I had my last one in the mid-'90's.

The bit below was something I wrote for something else so excuse the odd references. It gives a quick overview of where I've come from and what's led me up to here. I've been a bit quiet of late so this should bring you up to speed a bit

But why would you ever buy an old car? A new one is much better?

Le sigh.

For the last two years I've put my 20 year passion to one side and concentrated on other things in life. For those of you that don't know, I've spent two decades deeply involved in the Vw family with a good few of those within the excellent Scirocco Register. Then, at the tail end of 2013 I left a job I absolutely hated and threw myself into my new role. I've always been dedicated and I knew that I wouldn't have the same freedom to disappear from the work radar for days on end so I made the somewhat rash decision to sell the car I'd spent seven years building (in pieces, obviously), gradually hand over my responsibilities to SR and leave it all behind for a while while I concentrated on the new job. Here's where we fast forward a bit.
I'll try to keep all this as simple and short as possible but…. Over the next few years I went through a bit of a change. I learnt how to interact with people a bit more (my old role was very solitary) and actually got to know the people I work with and relaxed a bit. I spent whole weekends with my wife and didn't spend all my free time stressing about parts, events and other bits and bobs. Oh yeah, and I put weight on. But the best thing was that I I fell in love with cars again. There's been a lot of hate over the last 10/15 years about the "scene" and the people in it.
Frankly, I couldn't give a shet, I just sucked all the bits I liked in and dipped in and out whenever I felt the need and it worked. I Realised just how much I love the hobby I have and how lucky I've been to meet the people I have. Unsurprisingly, I discovered that my buddies inside the scene where my buddies outside as well, the shared love we had for the money stealing, mobile skips we all obsessed over was just one part of our friendship. So know we find ourselves here, and the statement up top. Ish. For about the last six months I've had the itch, and it's the itch you get when you know something's inevitable. Everyone has seen it coming and it's been nice and gradual. I've been able to put together a time frame (I'm 40 in less than 18 months) and the figures all work out. I've taken my time, narrowed down my options and waited until what I really wanted has come up rather than get the first thing offered and regret it later. As it turns out, the lucky candidate has been found by someone I trust and who's as enthusiastic and passionate as I am. So anyway, that statement. The current daily is a very quick, very comfy, four wheel drive pocket rocket. It's reliable, a pleasure to drive and everything works. Why, as my colleague rightly points out, would I want to choose to drive a car that was built before most people were born with no heating, no power steering, no abs and none of the luxuries I've come to expect? If you've read all this and can't understand why then I probably won't ever be able to explain. If you can then I'll see you at pod this year with a beer.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Mr Funk

Re: Yoda

Post by Mr Funk »

So this is Yoda (old, green, makes funny noises).
First thing was to change the number plates as the previous owner had illegally spaced them so they read as somethings incredibly offensive.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

This is a long term project so I'm in no rush but there's a few things that urgently need sorting.

But first…

Over the years I've primarily played with mi2 roccos. I always liked them as most other people hated them and I enjoyed the challenge. Eventually however, I discovered that it was the people that were the biggest draw. I can honestly say that I've never been part of such a friendly, knowledgable and relaxed club.

But I've always wanted another mk1. I had one in the mid '90's, back when you could pick up cars relatively cheaply. It was black and it had a bbs body kit and I loved it but unfortunately it was an utter dog and this was back when clubs weren't really in t' internet so it ended up being scrapped.

The next bit I've already explained: toys cars, sold them, mr sensible for 2 years. (I say sensible, my daily is a stage 1 mk1 tt knocking out 260bhp with 4wd). Eventually I realise I have the cash, I have 18months before the big 40 and a car turns up.
No history, only done minimal miles over the last ten to fifteen years and picked up by a bloke I know and trust with the express intention of getting it into a condition I can work with.

Balls, train's coming into the station.

Back in a minute. Grab yourself a brew or something.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Okay,

So, like I said, I'm a bit busy.

I generally only get to work on the car over the weekends so there's a massive flurry of activity and then nothing for a while.

So in a month there's been a change of circumstances my end.
Originally the big bonus and commission from Q1 was going to get Weitecs and Ronals. That, along with a couple of other bits would have seen me through this summer.
But there's a change on the horizon with regard to work and the money will need putting away for a couple of months "just in case". It's no big deal, just changes things.
So far I have:
Fixed the boot - seal and strut
Removed the duck bill - it was ripping off parts of the bodywork. Ordered a GL spoiler for normal use and will get another duck bill later on.
Wired in the Dash Cam
disconnected the Wur - This was causing the warm start issue we think. got a spare sat there just waiting to go on.
Ordered a load of powder coated parts from Classic VW (including the lower front brace) and Crazy Quiff.
Started the rear build - boarded out the boot and fibre glassed the wheel well. This will eventually become a sub enclosure and perhaps a tool bin.

All in all though, it's nice nick.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So this is under the bonnet. Not sure what the previous owner was thinking (you can't see it but the driver shafts are red as well)

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So what's the plan?

Actually, it's quite simple as I went a little too far with the last one and it ended up causing problems.

Audi door handles, three (or four, i can never remember) engines, rolled arches, custom seats blah blah blah. a great car but it spent more time off the road being fixed than it did being driven.

Weitecs, nice set of rims (probably Ronal Mcdonalds - as my wife insists on calling them), clean the engine bay up and replace everything that's been painted with either new kit (421 manifold) or powder coated black and a small stereo.
Tail end of next year it'll be off to the Rust Republic in Nottingham for a complete strip down and respray. Had thought of a new colour but given it's Lhasa Green, a tin top and it's 1983 even I agree it has to stay the original colour. I've even opted not to fit the single lamp grill. I must be getting old.
The body work will be subtle - De wiper and delock the boot and remove the lock and ariel from the wing.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

So it's been a good weekend. For the most part.

Managed to finish off the board for the boot and the backing plate and the acoustic cloth arrived.
Eventually the tub will go into the wheel well along with a sub but for the time being it'll cover a multitude of sins.
Put the rear parcel shelf back in as well, what a proper faff!

Unfortunately the warm start issue is still there. Leave it for a minute and you're fine. Anything longer and you've missed your window and you may as well grab yourself a coffee as you've got a 30-40 minute wait to look forward to.

Still, I managed to fit the number plate (more on that in a minute), take a stroll round currys and B and Q, grab myself a brew and wait for a mate who checked all the connections then followed me home.

A quick drive home and another brew later, the bonnet is up and we're peering into the multi coloured engine bay to try and make sense of the problem.

At some point someone has spent some considerable money on the car. Yes, it's on terrible coilovers (you never appreciate good ones until you've experienced bad ones) but it's running a rear disc conversion, what looks like a supersprint system and four branch. The ISV has also been removed, they've fitted an oil cooler and actually paid someone to paint all the engine parts. I'd need to take a proper look but I'd swear blind it was running a cam as well.

Little bits and pieces next weekend - got a load arrived from Mark at Classic-vw hopefully.
Also sent the letter to the dvla about the offensive plate. Hoping they see where I'm coming from and issue something that won't get me garroted

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

Good work young skywalker. The force is......

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Good to see you back on here, best of luck with your project.
And remember: Yoda is THE man!

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Forgot to post the board.
Was half tempted to carpet the tubs until ant gets his mitts on it but going to leave it for the time being.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Village Idiots wrote:Good to see you back on here, best of luck with your project.
And remember: Yoda is THE man!
Originally it was going to be Fett. Favorite character, same colour scheme but Mrs Funk preferred Yoda.

This has been my biggest challenge.

Oh, did you get the picture of the offensive plate?

Bill

Post by Bill »

Tidy on a Friday

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Mr Funk wrote: Unfortunately the warm start issue is still there. Leave it for a minute and you're fine. Anything longer and you've missed your window and you may as well grab yourself a coffee as you've got a 30-40 minute wait to look forward to.
Leaking injectors?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

Looks awesome, love the colour. What year is it?