1991 Scirocco GTII

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Metsla
fill in the right answer: 15

1991 Scirocco GTII

Post by Metsla »

I bought the car back in 2006. I didn't have any plans with it, other than keep it going and use it as a daily.

At first, I didn't have any problems with it. As time went by, it started to have more and more problems, until I had enough and bought a newer car. Scirocco was parked away for years. I almost sold it, but at the end of the day, I couln't do it. Some time later I decided it is time to get it back on the streets. So I stripped the car into pieces... literally. Luckily it was in surprisingly good conditon and didn't need any welding. I tried to do some filling and sanding, but it was no job for me. Some things are best left for professionals.

At least I painted the engine bay. :D

Sorry for my bad English! :)

GT Matt

Re: 1991 Scirocco GTII

Post by GT Matt »

Tere! Welcome aboard! Your English is just fine, far better than my Estonian! Hope you get it back on the road soon. Not sure we have any other members in Estonia?

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Looks like your project got serious, good stuff

Metsla

Post by Metsla »

GT Matt wrote:Tere! Welcome aboard! Your English is just fine, far better than my Estonian! Hope you get it back on the road soon. Not sure we have any other members in Estonia?
Tere tere! :) Thank you! I'd be extremely surprised if you could talk Estonian.
There aren't many Sciroccos in Estonia, not even mk3s, so I might be the first member.

And now, about my car again. As I said before, I didn't have any plans with it. Same goes with the engine, but then everything changed. I bought a turbocharged G60 and it was already rebuilt from top to bottom. At that time, my daily driver was Corrado VR6. It slowly became a project car, so I decided to sell it. I barely can afford one project car, two is clearly too much. Some time later I started to miss VR6 and bought a new engine for Scirocco :groove:

In Estonia you have to get a permission for engine swap from the DMV, I didn't get it. Nothing else to do, but to sell the VR6 and try with another engine. This time it got approved. I made some research and bought myself another car. It took only 19h and 1200km. Tallinn-Vilnius-Tallinn

I thought it might be alot easier to buy a whole car. Then I have everything I could possibly need, to make a new engine work in my Scirocco.

1999 Audi A3 1.8T AGU

ant

Post by ant »

Nice project, I put the same engine in mine and yes it is alot easier having the whole car! Good luck it's worth all the hard work in the end :-D

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
Metsla

Post by Metsla »

It has been awhile since my last post. So here it comes. Car has been painted and engine rebuilt.

Engine block and head got resurfaced, cilinders honed, new valve guide bushings and new bearings, piston rings etc

To be continued (this is not the current state)...

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

nice work keep us posted with plenty of pictures :-D

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Dazdub

Post by Dazdub »

Looking good :)