1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
ant
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1988 Scala 1.8t agu conversion

Post by ant »

Bigmills74 wrote:Hi Ant, I like your idea of modding the scirocco tank to take the Audi in tank pump as I have a new tank waiting to be fitted . Did you upgrade your solid fuel lines to same diameter as the injection type?
Hi yes I upgraded them to the same diameter as the one off the Audi :-) 8mm internal diameter if I remember correctly with the inline 1.8t fuel filter somewhere near the back end before they join the pump. Much safer and wiser to do in a new tank ;-)

1988 Mk2 Scirocco Scala 1.8t AGU - now sold :-(
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

i meant to say to you ant if you have drawings for your modded fuel tank, there`s a guy who owns a company called ready rads in brum who cuts and welds tanks for a living who might be able to make a load of modded tanks just for this purpose.
maybe worth looking into?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

Cheers Ant, I'm planning on the 20v conversion next year myself and I'm trying to think of a simple solution for my set up for my carb rocco as I know Jack about fuel injection and was impressed with your tank mod.

ant

Post by ant »

Bigmills74 wrote:Cheers Ant, I'm planning on the 20v conversion next year myself and I'm trying to think of a simple solution for my set up for my carb rocco as I know Jack about fuel injection and was impressed with your tank mod.
No problem, i did run it with the original pipes to start with but with reducers attached at either end to go to bigger connectors for 1.8t set up, worked fine but upgraded them to make sure it wasn't restricting, any other questions feel free to ask.

ant

Post by ant »

james butler wrote:i meant to say to you ant if you have drawings for your modded fuel tank, there`s a guy who owns a company called ready rads in brum who cuts and welds tanks for a living who might be able to make a load of modded tanks just for this purpose.
maybe worth looking into?
That's a good idea, will have a look at what I've got and message him, would make life alot easier for everyone else doing it, same size as a mk3 pump to which would be better as sends the correct fuel signal to clocks just needs an additional bracket in the bottom to hold it as top and bottom aren't connected I think.

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

Ive got my welder coming on Saturday to collect my tank and pump , all he needs to do is weld up the feed and return pipes and relocate the cut out for the mk4 pump so the bottom of the pump rests on the larger flat section ? I'm glad you mentioned adding a support bracket for the bottom as i'd overlooked this!
What did you use for your pump feed and return connectors Ant? I picked up a pump off Fleabay and it has the existing push on fittings (not sure of the correct term for them) but theres only an inch length left on them , I'm guessing i cant reuse them ? Also I'm going to be replacing the fuel lines at some point for larger 8mm internal diameter front to back and cant decide if I'm gonna use Braided hose or Kunifer or a mixture, come to think of it the existing cut off mk4 pump fuel lines look like nylon so may go that way.
How did you go about wiring up the pump? with mine being a carb Im obviously gonna need to get power for the pump. When the agu loom is connected up to the CE1 fusebox is there a spare port for a Fused relay i could for that?

ant

Post by ant »

Bigmills74 wrote:Ive got my welder coming on Saturday to collect my tank and pump , all he needs to do is weld up the feed and return pipes and relocate the cut out for the mk4 pump so the bottom of the pump rests on the larger flat section ? I'm glad you mentioned adding a support bracket for the bottom as i'd overlooked this!
What did you use for your pump feed and return connectors Ant? I picked up a pump off Fleabay and it has the existing push on fittings (not sure of the correct term for them) but theres only an inch length left on them , I'm guessing i cant reuse them ? Also I'm going to be replacing the fuel lines at some point for larger 8mm internal diameter front to back and cant decide if I'm gonna use Braided hose or Kunifer or a mixture, come to think of it the existing cut off mk4 pump fuel lines look like nylon so may go that way.
How did you go about wiring up the pump? with mine being a carb Im obviously gonna need to get power for the pump. When the agu loom is connected up to the CE1 fusebox is there a spare port for a Fused relay i could for that?
You only need a support bracket for the mk3 pump, the mk4 one has a swirl pot built in so once pushed into place doesn't move around, mine was pretty much kept in the same position, just moved slightly to the side to allow it to sit flat. I kept the connectors' and pulled the old pipe off them so I could use the quick release bits still.

When you say he needs to weld up feed and return pipes do you mean on the old sender? As that is just removed for the new pump.

With wiring there's a bit further back in the thread on how to do that, mine was carb so I put in the mk4 relay (cant remember if fused bit can always put it inline) and ran the new wires to it and used the fuel gauge sender wires. To get the fuel gauge sender to work i think I wrote up how to do that on the last page.

ant

Post by ant »

Power to fuel pump was via e14 on back of fuse box and it is fused by number 5. Relay 167 was used in the 2nd relay position on the top row. Will put a photo up later.

Bigmills74

Re: 1988 Scala 1.8t agu coionnversion

Post by Bigmills74 »

Great thanks for that Ant your a gent.
I had a quick inspection of my tank set up just now and realized the pipes i thought were for a feed and return are actually breather pipes so wont be welding those up haha, my fuel feed and return are actually via the top of the sender unit so with mine been a 92 im assuming i have a lift pump? Might take it out over the weekend for a look, also i noticed on the mk1 golf forum someone had posted an exploded diagram of both the carb and cis fuel setups and noticed the fuel injection models have a gravity valve which cuts off the fuel supply in the event of rolling the car but dont see it in the carb setup?
Anyway really need to dig out my Haynes and study up

ant

Post by ant »

Bigmills74 wrote:Great thanks for that Ant your a gent.
I had a quick inspection of my tank set up just now and realized the pipes i thought were for a feed and return are actually breather pipes so wont be welding those up haha, my fuel feed and return are actually via the top of the sender unit so with mine been a 92 im assuming i have a lift pump? Might take it out over the weekend for a look, also i noticed on the mk1 golf forum someone had posted an exploded diagram of both the carb and cis fuel setups and noticed the fuel injection models have a gravity valve which cuts off the fuel supply in the event of rolling the car but dont see it in the carb setup?
Anyway really need to dig out my Haynes and study up
I wondered if that's what you where think long about, definitely don't weld those up. My carb set up had fuel sender with inlet and outlet on it which was removable, you only have lift pumps if its injection as carbs have mechanical ones from what I know. I've never heard of the gravity valve to be honest! Will only have 2 wires going to it if just fuel gauge sender.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Bigmills74 wrote: also i noticed on the mk1 golf forum someone had posted an exploded diagram of both the carb and cis fuel setups and noticed the fuel injection models have a gravity valve which cuts off the fuel supply in the event of rolling the car but dont see it in the carb setup?
Carbs don't work upside down so don't need a cut-off.

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

:-D Ok thanks for clearing that up for me Ant and Dt1
Appreciate your help

love-metal

Post by love-metal »

just gone through this and will probably do so many more times
Im getting an auq lump so this guide has been a great heads up for me!

Hutchweld

Post by Hutchweld »

Excellent thread and to let you all know the car is still going strong in 2021. My mate had it for a few years which I think he got it from you ant? Done a deal with a Scirocco Storm. Anyway just thought I would let you guys know 👍🏻

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear it’s still going. Thanks for the update

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323