First car. New member.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
teenspirit7
fill in the right answer: 15

First car. New member.

Post by teenspirit7 »

I did it. I bought a Scirocco. 1991 MK2 GTII

(She's a bit dirty at the moment)

To-do list:
  • Fix rear wiper motor. (might be wire in boot)
  • Replace heater blower motor. Have part, plan to follow Eefy's guide. (urgent as de-mist is nonexistent atm)
  • Find supposed sunroof leaf (currently taped up)
  • Clean, paint/replace rims
  • Change rear light clusters (cracked). Have spare cluster however unfortunately it appears to be tinted.
  • Change front indicator (cracked)
  • Track down boot leakage (minimal){seems to have cleared up after changing real lights}

After all that and a good scrub it'll be a great running/looking car.

The good:

Remarkably good interior

Full history, and a few spare parts

Rear needs a good clean. Should the badges come up silver? Or are they matte black? Note the lights aren't tinted, unlike the spare. Rather annoying.

Rims need a good look at.

Bodywork isn't perfect. Quite a few botch paint jobs. Alright on the whole.

Look forward to cleaning/fixing her up, with all your help (thanks!)

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any advice.
Last edited by teenspirit7 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:22 am, edited 10 times in total.

jpr1977

Re: First car. New member.

Post by jpr1977 »

Welcome to the fold twinny...

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Hi, and welcome. Nice car.

It looks like you have a factory (metal tilt & slide) sunroof. I've never known one of these to leak (others may have experienced it - I've owned many mk2 Sciroccos and it hasn't affected any of them). I think owners sometimes assume wet carpets are due to the roof leaking. The "seal" around the sunroof aperture isn't actually a seal, it's there to reduce wind noise; hence the existence of a drainage channel in each corner taking water to the outside world. Checking that these tubes are still connected and not blocked would be the first port of call. They are routed along the A- and C-pillars and exit near the ground behind the wings.

Water in your boot - light seals, boot lock seal, boot aperture seal and the little O-ring seals where the gas struts mount to the C-pillars: all of these were still available from VW Classic Parts when I checked a month or two ago. There are probably other seals you might check, too.

If the rear wash-wipe isn't working, it's often the wiring in the top corner that's been damaged or cut in the past, if you aren't getting power to the motor.

The rear lights - ones without black stripes are relatively common and the one you have will be in reasonably high demand, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a match for the other side.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

look very nice teenspirit7 just like mine girl,had to do some work on her,like edmundator say, lucky no water leeks anywhere drainage channel work good, and she OK for rust at her age,but i get that sorted when i having her re sprayed, had to get new seals for sun roof and door widows not cheap but need to be done,i am still working on her but she almost done know,
chris

scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Welcome along,
Tailgate badges are correct (black) colour.
Deffo check out the boot lock seal for that leak.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Hi, and welcome!

I've got a spare sunroof seal if you do need to replace it, Bought it a couple of months ago and can't return it!

- David
Red Rocco

Post by Red Rocco »

Hi, I've had my first Scirocco for about 6 months now also a '91 GTII, these would originally have had the tinted lights from new, they're quite hard to get hold of but you're half way there! The 'tint' had worn off on most of mine but you can paint or stripe these back on. I used a sharpie marker pen and looks pretty good!

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

I'm not really a new member, been on this page 3 months.
I've had water dribble down from the sunroof area, small patch of headlining was wet, only happened the once though. I've got the water in the boot trouble as well, I just put it down the car being old and rubber perishing..

Maybe you could use a garden hose or small pressure washer and spray the rear of the car to see where the water gets in?

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

I find a trip to the petrol station jet wash always finds a few leaks so if the hose fails may be worth a go.

Nice looking car, inca blue? Just like my gt2

eefy

Post by eefy »

Welcome to SR and hopefully my "how to guide" did the job with the blower ;)

obvious boot leak is the lock seal ;)

if waters coming out around the sunroof one of the drain holes will be blocked, there 4 and the 2 rear ones are an arse to get to!!!!! check out my build thread to see how I cleared mine :)

teenspirit7

Post by teenspirit7 »

jakeb wrote:I find a trip to the petrol station jet wash always finds a few leaks so if the hose fails may be worth a go.

Nice looking car, inca blue? Just like my gt2
Cosmos blue apparently according to previous owner. Need to check the colour codes though.
eefy wrote:Welcome to SR and hopefully my "how to guide" did the job with the blower ;)

obvious boot leak is the lock seal ;)

if waters coming out around the sunroof one of the drain holes will be blocked, there 4 and the 2 rear ones are an arse to get to!!!!! check out my build thread to see how I cleared mine :)
Yes it did help thanks! Got it all done, quite easy once I knew how. Cheers.

I'll check the boot out when it's a bit more sunny hopefully.

Just ordered a Audi 200 Interior rear view mirror, which should fit. :fingerscrossed:

Still got teething problems with the engine cutting out on idle after 30 mins run. Need to look at Vacuum pipes and possible carb clean.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

teenspirit7 wrote: Cosmos blue apparently according to previous owner. Need to check the colour codes though.
Nope. This is cosmos blue:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

my guess would be LA5U - Royal Blue

Thats what mine is anyway..

It should be on the sticker in the boot, or if it came with the car its in the front page of the service schedule in the grey leatherette folder...

teenspirit7

Post by teenspirit7 »

Yeah looks like it is Royal Blue.
  • Still struggling to fix warm engine cut-out issue viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19391
  • Untaped the sunroof, doesn't look like there are any leaks. I cleaned out the run offs with a bit of wire, a fair bit of dirt came out.
  • Turned out it was just a dodgy fuse breaking the rear wiper. Sorted.
  • Got some paint to re-stripe the new rear lights. Need to get some plastic primer and paint for the plastic wheel trims.
  • Boot is still leaking although minor, hopefully due to cracked rear lights which I'm replacing soon anyway.

eefy

Post by eefy »

In relation to the sun roof, if it does start leaking check the rear drain holes, a pain to get though. Had the problem on mine.