Forgotten GTX

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Forgotten GTX

Post by eefy »

Love it fella :)

farley381
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by farley381 »

You sold the Mk1 Storm quick !

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Right then. Been a few weeks since I last posted but have been very very busy on GTX.

Started with some basics including new cambelt (it was first time cover had ever been off!!), oil and filter change and a general check over before trying to get it running. Sitting for 22 years really hasn't been kind to the fuel system!

Other new parts fitted now include:

New fuel tank
Replacement tank sender
New lift pump
New main fuel pump
New set of flexible brake hoses
New rear wheel cylinders
New complete exhaust system (standard at moment but may get upgraded)
New handbrake cables
New blue pressure cap
New brake pads
New bottom arms (both sides)
New front ARB bushes
New front ARB clamps
New wiper blades
Set of good used injectors
New boot lock seal
New underbonnet foam (thanks Joost!!)
New correct GTX grill badge

All of this resulted in at passing its MOT this week but a fair bit more mechanical work needed to get it how I want it to be.

Have also done a fair bit to get it looking shiny. Had quite a few light scratches in paints where it had been brushed against during its time in storage.

This involved using some fine wet and dry and flatting back all the panels to remove them then maching polishing it back with G3 and Finesse it!, the results are outstanding even if I say so myself!!

Have driven it home today from The Grotto and drove without fault but have a few new pointers to look at now too.

Currently sat on my spare wheels whilst I decide what to do with P Slots. Need a good polish and all new tyres. Not my favourite wheel though, always preferred Le Castellets on GTX's

As always though, lots of photos to keep you all happy:

After machine polish:

Today as I set off home

On drive at home tonight with correct grill badge fitted

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

brilliant find and definatly in its own league of "forgotton gtx" wow. im so jealous .. keep up the good work , will be popping up and saying hi ( or more to drawl over this ) :-)

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Love the car mate. The condition of it is amazing!! Quick question... what cassette player do you have in there?

GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

It's a Blaupunkt London

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Not posted for a while but hadn't forgotten about the forgotten GTX, it's just in hibernation for the winter.

Started up today on the first turn of the key as usual and purred. Ran it up to temperature, checked fan cut in and then tucked it away for another month.

Still got a few jobs to do on it including new throttle body micro switch, paint the rocker, upper cambelt cover and radiator shroud and then reacquaint it with its fully refurbished P-slots shod with new Pirelli tyres of course.

Really looking forward to getting this on the road for frequent use this year, including its road trip to Osnabruck and Wolfsburg in May.

Photos!

And photo of radio for Lukeh17

Matt

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

This week I finally got round to replacing the idle throttle switch that has been in 'open circuit' mode since I got the car. As usual, the throttle body bolts were a PITA to undo but I guess that haven't been off in 28 years!

Micro switch duly replaced with brand new item from VW Classics Germany and what a difference! The injection system finally know when my engine is at idle at opens the air bypass valve to prevent it from stalling. Idle speed was 950rpm before switch was replaced and, without making any adjustments, was 1900rpm with the new switch in place.

Then had to adjust mixture and idle to bring it down but now idles perfectly and pick up has improved considerably too.

I also got round to fitting a new alternator. Old one charged fine but bearings were noisy. With new one fitted, sounds just like it's meant to now.

Just the cam and belt covers and radiator cowling to clean and paint now when it's a bit warmer.

P-slots might be ready next week too!

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
JackPong

Post by JackPong »

Hi, do you have the part number for said microswitch? Think I could be experiencing a similar problem.

Car's an absolute stunner!

Cheers mate

GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Hi Jack

Switch part number is 026 133 093 and can be purchased from volkswagen classic parts

Regards

Matt

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
JackPong

Post by JackPong »

Right on Matt! Much appreciated :-)

GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Quite a few months since my last update but a lot has happened since then.

Work wise, I have finally got it back onto its original P slots with a set of new Uniroyal tyres.

With a pending long distance trip planned, I also decided to do some preventative work 'just in case'. This included a complete set of brand new rubber cooling hoses and a brand new clutch cable.

Initially had problems with both as the new '3 way' hose from rear of pump kept seeping but a new replacement cured this. Also had trouble sourcing the correct clutch cable. Local factors originally supplied wrong one, then VW Heritage also supplied wrong one but were adamant it was correct despite it being too short! Eventually did source the correct one from Heritage after a lot of effort on my part and new one is genuine VW too.

Also replaced all of the dash illumination bulbs including the one in the voltmeter whilst the under dash panel was out for clutch cable.

Pictures of P slots:

At Stanford Hall:

My long distance trip was a visit to both Osnabruck where my Scirocco was built (and to see the Karmann museum) and then across to Wolfsburg for the Autostadt and VW Musuem.

909 miles in 5 days without a glitch 8-)

Here's my GTX outside the factory gate of the old Karmann plant where it was built

Now plan to just enjoy driving it and taking it to a few shows etc

Matt

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

amazing !!! glad you took this car over, shows its now in good hands to give it all the love it should of got. and driven too. paint work and reflection is 1000%

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)