My roc is older than me

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
connorj19
fill in the right answer: 15

My roc is older than me

Post by connorj19 »

Proud new owner of a 91 gt2, she had plenty history and has just passed MOT with no advisorys :-) it's on coilovers which I'm not too keen on. Ideally would like standard shocks/springs ( point me in the right direction people) i do have a mk3 Rocco gt 170 Dsg but I'd take the old girl out anyday. 19 year old in and old car. Not sure if there looking at me or the car ;-) will post some pics up soon once I've found out how...

If in wrong section please relocate thanks

Rusty dan

Re: My roc is older than me

Post by Rusty dan »

keeping it old skool! nice stable having a mk2 and 3
look forward to seeing pics

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Driving along the road the other night and felt some strange vibrations coming from the os/r wheel... Upon further inspection only 2 studs were tight other 2 were loose as the drum was striped, so Newcastle Tps sourced new drums, bearing kits and wheel studs at a price :-o but all is well for now

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Fixed the link for you.

When you share, you need to use the BBCode link.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Thanks for sorting out the link, I'm not new to forums but new to the image posting / hosting thing. Hope to be making swift progress once funds allow. Can't seem to find strut housings so it looks like I'll have to go down the bilstien route for now

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Stick up an add in the wanted section for struts, front and rear as there is some washers and collers you will need to go back to springs and shocks.
Mk1 golfs also use the same struts.
Other places to get bits.
http://www.classic-vw.co.uk
http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/SelectArea.htm

Membership No. 323
connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Haven't posted updates for a while, I parked the car up in th garage for a week and used the mk3 as the daily drive, I didn't want to drive the old roc until I knew the engine was sound. So first jobs ticked off were timing belt plus tensioner and water pump. Didnt Pop number one plug and use screwdriver down the bore, just set timing off the cam then marked dizzy shaft and crank with tip ex.. Swapped belt n tensioner then done water pump and coolant flush. Next will come is a full ignition service. Car starts and pulls well I just want tick that job off. also looking for suspension but that's next month when wallet allows. Pictures up soon

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You really don't need to change the water pump while doing a cam belt change as it's not like on these newer cars where the water pump is driven by the cam belt and hidden away in the engine under lots of plastic covers. If you still have the old one and it's a genuine VW I would keep it as a spare.
My car still has the original water pump and it's working fine.
A new thermostat is the only thing that really needed to be replaced and if you have the newer plastic thermostat housing is worth getting a new one as they can distort and leak when reused, if you have already changed the coolant I would just see what happens and if you have leaks then replace it.

Membership No. 323
connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Mark1gls I had ordered it and chucked it on but upon inspection of the old pump the blades are like new and the bearings are in good nick, I don't think it's genuine Vw as it has no vag part numbers but I'll sling it in the garage for now.

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Mk2 has been put away in the gagrage for now as it was wet over the past week and I found water in the boot.. Think it's coming in from the rear shocker top judging by the rusty water marks so I'll investigate when time allows. Anyways I'm running around in the mk3. Pure luxury with power steering and good brakes :-D

Trying to get to grips with sharing photos still. The link should work if I've done if right, people please educate me

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/135415245 ... 636975322/

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Haven't been on in a while, car is in the garage now for winter or will be in the next few weeks.

Think it's time to start some serious work on rocco

Engine out, change clutch
Replace seals that are leaking, paint engine
New steering rack,
Stainless manifold.. Any cheaper than heritage?
Bay cleaned and painted again
Full set of brake pipes with bf hoses
Brakes stripped etc
Suspension : kw v1's or ap coilovers
I know what the heart and wallet want and there different
Glass out respray

Probably a tat optomistic but hey ho

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Snapped back into the real world & ordered AP springs and shocks as kW gear was too expensive, would rather a comfortable car a subframe scraping heap...

Been and had a few quotes for full respray.. Back under a rock I go for a while

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Little update, AP suspension kit was delivered opened it up to find that the fronts were inserts and no good to me as I don't have original stuff to swap over etc.. So I ordered cheap kw's aka st coilovers, first off money well spent quality is amazing, I've fitted rears and front are going on today with new top mounts, waiting for wheels to come then I'll set the hight