crusty rusty rocket

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: crusty rusty rocket

Post by james butler »

nice one jack that looks a lot neater and quicker :ok:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Jack92
Site Admin
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jack92 »

I think the one I’ve linked is open all the way down one site, which is probably best due to connectors but you can get it ‘closed’ as well. Would obviously mean feeding the whole loom through it though

Jack
South East

www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk
Seat Leon 1.8T 20V - Track Car
VW Scirocco Scala 1.8 Inj - Toy
Ford Transit 2.0 - Work Horse

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
james butler

Post by james butler »

took the dashboard out of the loft and prepped it to go bakc into crusty.
unfortunately the dash is quite cracked and the middle vent buckled as they do when they get damp and the vinyl shrinks.
so i cut the moulded fibre board on the rear and reinforced it with steel inserts so the demist will work properly and not leak like a sieve.
screwfix do bags of 100 self tappers for a couple of quid and found them perfect for securing the plates to the dash and refitting the dash in place.
rerouted all the electrics back to there relevant holes in the dash for the switches.
somehow ive picked up 2 drivers side headlights so need a passenger one, anyone who has one would you be willing to swap for a good nick drivers? or part with for cash?
also need to find my fog light and hazard switch.

Jack92
Site Admin
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jack92 »

Hey buddy,

I’ve got a scala which I’m breaking at the moment due to rust and it not being worth repairing.

Send me over a list of stuff you need and I’ll check to see if it’s for it. The light is definitely there.

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
james butler

Post by james butler »

cheers jack will be in touch :good:

james butler

Post by james butler »

still waiting for the log book to come back with the correct engine number, cc and colour change but lately ive been ticking off the list of jobs left before the car can be motd.
one little present i got for it was to get the sun visors overhauled
if i can work out how to upload pics i will show you all

james butler

Post by james butler »

so i had the paperwork back from DVLA and they want either a receipt for crusty doner engine or an engineers report or a letter from VW verifying the engine number and cc.
tried Vw and they were useless although i did manage to get a VIN for the doner which could help in the future getting parts.
so have to send a receipt for the engine and hope that works instead.
good news is the log book says its officially orange now!!

fitted the door cards but the plastic tops on both door cards are missing?? this means the top of the door card isn't hooked onto the door properly.
if anyone has that plastic i would much appreciate it.
also found the three screws that hold the stalks on the column so fitted them quick before they go awol again :-D

then filled the hole where the rear wiper used to go through the glass with none other than a wing mirror adjuster nob which happens to fit the grommet perfectly!
so gonna crack on with the rest of the internals and really need to fit the rad and fan so i can fill the cooling system and check for leaks.

james butler

Post by james butler »

so finally filled the cooling system up and imediately had a leak from a 2 inch peice of 25mm pipe between the water pump and a t peice to the oil cooler.
ordered some new pipe which ive fitted and now doesnt leak.
i ran the car for a bit but im a little concerned that im getting bubbles come up the feed pipe to the expansion tank which goes to the metal pipe on the engine which goes between the bottom of the block and the heater matrix?????
not the usual place to release trapped air, the return pipe feed seems a bit feeble too so will have to run it right up to temp to see if all the trapped air comes out after the thermostat opens otherwise i think i might have a naff water pump or ive got the plumbing a bit wrong somewhere.
allways nerve wracking messing with these old motors, never know whats going to happen.

and still not heard back from DVLA about my engine cc change :scratch:

james butler

Post by james butler »

well log book came back today and crusty now has the abf engine number on the log book which is great news but for some reason theyve not updated the cc
i think i can live with that so will just insure it as 2 litre lump as per normal modifications amoungst all the other mods :laugh:
still thats a weight off my mind and cant wait to get it finished and motd which should be in the next couple o months all being well.

james butler

Post by james butler »

managed to track down a fog light switch so should be all good now for switch gear MOT wise.
just got to get all the lights working. some how all of the bulbs in the car have gone missing over the last 7 years????
hazards of parking a car at a relatives i suppose

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Posting images for James.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
james butler

Post by james butler »

:ok: cheers tim
for anyone who needs it the pictures are from my notebook detailing where all the wires go to and from the ECU for a 96/97 vw ABF
all in all though if your careful and don't snip anything important i think theres only 11 wires you actually have to integrate into the rocco

james butler

Post by james butler »

so been stupidly busy lately but got around to sorting some of the lights out today, brake lights, indicators and tail lights work but for some reason the fog light doesn't work, i also have a black wire from the drivers side cluster that doesn't go any where which i suspect has something to do with the fog light.
need to do an uprated relay loom for the headlights then should be able to get those working properly.
annoyingly the water pump has decide to start leaking so I've bought a replacement pump.
still quite fun to be doing bits and pieces to get it done

james butler

Post by james butler »

Cor blimey it’s about time I finished this blooming thing!
So seeeing as I’ve only just worked out how to use Tapatalk let’s see if I can’t upload some piccys!
1st I’ve got the front wipers working! Yay
After chasing loads of wiring it turns out the motor was knackered! Doh!
Should’ve checked that first!
Also used the rear washer bottle instead of the origenal front bottle relocated to the slam panel to keep it out of the way and reduce a tad of unnecessary weight, ( the original GTX bottle was huge!)
Just got to plumb it in so the squirters work but hey, at least the leccy bits do what they should!
Just doing a headlight relay upgrade, completed the drivers side
Literally just have to wire in the other side for that to be completed then it’s onto the horn and rear number plate lights for all the wiring to be complete for mot
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james butler

Post by james butler »

Latest big issue though is my rear wheels are locking up :-(
I’ve had to buy some proportioning valves to overcome too much brake pressure going to rear disks
So drum proportion valves don’t work well with disks kids!
I know I was told before lol
Still was good fun handbraking pretty much every time you looked at the brake pedal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk