Berthold the Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
polov8

Re: Berthold the Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS

Post by polov8 »

there's only so many 2 and 3 digit codes, so you can expect a bit of repetitiveness over the course of 40 years of post air cooled gearbox manufacture, and the fact that the other CHD is a syncro passat means you'd have to be a buffoon to get them mixed up.

Montego's and maestro's do use 020's, in fact some of them have a weeney 1275cc A series mounted on an adapter plate on them! Very freaky, but then why make your own gearbox when you can buy them in?

Next is clean the alloy block up! If anyone's interested, the mk4 golf and some period A4 1.6's use an alloy block, but with an 81mm bore. It's dimensionally identical to the 1.8t block, has piston oil squirters, and has a useful 40% weight saving over an iron block. We're putting a 1.8t cranc, rods, and pistons on, and the 20v head bolts right on, so it should make for a nice light weight torquey engine.

Jody
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jody »

My last trip up to Andy's saw the dashboard go almost crack free :)

From this:

To This:

by way of this: :)

Rear seat belts were also fitted as I fully intend this to be an everyday car.

(get a load of that retro tyre lol)

I have received some photos of how the engine build is getting along.... Anyone fancy seeing some of those beauties ? :)

It's Competition time! :)
Andy got one of these, see if you can work out what it is? It was taken out of a Mk1 golf or something like that!

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

Yup, maestys used a 4 speed vw box.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

A Trip Recorder.

Jody

Post by Jody »

Yep. its some sort of Tachometer.

Jody

Post by Jody »

Ok...... Ready for some "Money Shots" of the 1.8 20vt engine Andrew (polov8) is building for me :)

I'm starting to get excited now :) Just a small shopping list left to purchase and the install will start sometime over the next couple of weeks!!!!!

Andy (Polov8) you are a cleaver man!

Jody

Post by Jody »

BTW

I'm going to post up in the for sale section of the forum the original Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 gls 160k original ENGINE with 5 speed box and exhaust with is currently in this car if anyone is interested?
I am running it in the car and is being run daily. (Car has MOT etc)
I'm going to drive it up to Dronfield (Nr Chesterfield) for the engine swap soon and so the engine can be seen running or being driven before purchase you like as long as you do so soon as its coming out next week!

The engine will be taken out by Andy to be replaced by the new one as soon as Andy is ready so I would say you need to act soon if you are interested in seeing and hearing it running.

I will be selling for offers in excess of £200 Cheers :)

I will post a photo soon.....

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Getting the engine in is gonna be the quick job, it's all the wiring, plumbing, and fabrication that takes the time, and separates a rough job from an OEM one.

On the old engine score, the motor runs very well, so if anyone has a smokey or trashed one this is a good buy.

Jody

Post by Jody »

Hi All, It's been ages since Andy or I updated this page!
My Scirocco (Berthold) is still very much work in progress. We took a break from it over the winter and there have been many changes to the plan, mainly due to funds.

Over the next few weeks I hope to post a few updates as things are looking up :) and I hope we will be moving forward with this project again shortly!

I'm going to get it painted now and go over it top to bottom. To do this work I'm asking Fuzz Townshend to quote it for me (Because I would like a really good job done on it.

Many more updates soon!

In other news Andy (polov8) is going to be selling a Ton of Mk1 Scirocco Part's over the next few weeks so please keep an eye out! The man is like a Magpie having collected many shiney Mk1 parts!

Jody

Post by Jody »

Hi All :)

Ok ......HAPPY Times and its not even Christmas yet ! :-D

A quick update with a lot more to come.

Berthold is now in the body shop getting a colour change.
I am extremely happy to report that its being done at Westgate Classics Ltd in Aldridge !!!!
It has received the bare metal treatment and all bad bits fixed and is now sitting in etched primer waiting for them to finish filming series 3 of Car Sos before they finish him.
I'm happy to wait as you can imagine as it's a great excuse to go and see my car and see the show cars being done.

Very exciting times for me :)

I've also been over to see Mike Truluck as well who is also, I'm glad to report well and looking after me very well in deed with bits and pieces and advice.

I'm also keeping in good touch with my friend Ricky in Chesterfield who is also doing a Mk1 Scirocco. Very funny story there, you often don't get to pick the car you really want you just get the best one you can get hold of at the time. Ricky and I got Mk1's at about the same time. I got a silver one and wanted a Blue one and he got a blue one and wanted a silver one! It's all good fun isn't it :yahoo:

I'll update with more news asap, as with any project it keeps changing and evolving.

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Interesting engine this.. Not a regular iron block 20vt

Presume the donor car was a very early Audi A4!?

Looks great

Motorsport is my passion.
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I see from the pictures at the top of the page that you have fitted 3 point rear seat belts, which type did you get in the end as I'm looking to fit some to my Mk1 for the kids seats?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jody

Post by Jody »

Ok, I definatly need to update!
I have been so lax with this over the months I don't know where to start...... how about this picture for tonight :)

deanryder

Post by deanryder »

cars looking great mate but what happened ? when you bought it off me you said you wanted to keep it original apart from the engine ! :(

Jody

Post by Jody »

Hi Dean. Hope you are well.
We went through all the things which needed to be done to the car and realised that if it was to last any amount of time then it would need to be done properly.
With problems on the bulk head, roof, front wings, boot, drivers sill and the black sticky stuff inside everywhere I decided to get it all done at once. While they were doing it they found a whole heap of other things so I am really glad I chose to go down this rout. It took so long to get it sorted that I had too much time to choose the colour. I was going to keep it silver then I like blue and I have the blue storm interior for it so I though a nice compromise would be Hell Blu (a silvery blue off the storm). But then right at the last minute I went for my favorite VW colour, A MK1 polo colour called Azores Blue. I am glad I did this now.
I'v managed to find a sunroof now which I can fit into the roof without having to replace the roof. The after market sunroof it has was a problem. It isnt very nice, It was leaking because of the roof problems it had and the latch was broken so it didn't stay up. I managed to get a second hand Tudor Webasto which was fitted to a mk1 golf which I am hoping will fit.

It is pretty much water tight now with all new window and door rubbers fitted so cross fingers it will be on the road this year. When it is I'd like to pop by and see you if you are ok with that? I've sent you a friend request on facebook.