Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
steve bain

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by steve bain »

a whole evening of rocco fun planned! i would like to get the rear valance finished. I think that is a realistic goal. I will let you know later!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

well. i have done two evenings. The rear valence is all welded and rust free with a thin skim of filler, just need to sand it, but a complete lack of photos i'm afraid.

last night a tackled the boot lid seal lip. i have no before photos, but it was bad, the lip had gone plus an inch of so either side of the lip in 3 places, middle and each side. also welded up the rear washer jet again!

i hope to get all the rest of the welding finished on the weekend and then get the bodyshop over to tell me what i need to do prior to collection. I assume they will ask i remove this, remove that to save a bit of money.

not long now!!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

So today I did a bit more sanding, welded the passenger cill, removed the windscreen and welded the bottom corners, repaired the passenger door and removed glass from doors and a few other bits. Drum roll please. All welding is done! Will call the body shop next week. So excited!

My build thread:
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

looking good Steve,
i had to weld the boot lip on mine and is a fiddly job but yours looks great! will it be ready for the nationals?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

cheers james. please someone is reading my waffle! i need to do more pictures i think. 6th aug for the nationals? hmmm. respray, putting it all back together (properly and not cutting corners) and mot. 2.5 months. thats not completely unrealistic, but more worried about the 200 mile drive in the old girl seeing as she hasn't seen the road in about 7 years or so but i guess thats what break down cover is for though.

i shall make it my deadline and try to get up their even if shes not finished. sound ok?

and a few pics from the weekend. just so many little bits here and there...

i paid a bodyshop years ago to cut out the rust, weld it up, fill and paint the bottom of the windscreen areas. it had started to crack so i investigated. seems like they hammered the metal (and rust) down and coated it in filler. great work! anyway cut it out, plated and filler both sides. come to think about it i have had to redo all of their 'repairs!'

i always had smoothed joins anyway so will still look the same. even removed the windows in one piece!

welded over the aerial hole too as i have always had problems with that area rusting. problem solved

now sanded

few patches on the door

and engine. just because

My build thread:
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Being finished doesn't matter.
Being there does.

Cracking work fella.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

spent saturday doing a bit more fillering and sanding. removed the rear glass and repaired some more rust that showed up as well as ground back any rust that was starting to bubble through, filled and smoothed. i feel like i am just filling the time now though until the bodyshop take it as they will be doing all of this, but i figure the nearer i get it the easier it will be for them and the less they charge me.

i have decided to not have the wheels professionally diamond cut as i dont think it will last long and its costs a bomb! i am currently thinking of getting the wheels painted in deep bronze. i cant decide on whether to get the whole wheel painted or just the centre and polish the lip. i am also considering getting the wheels painted the same as the car as it will cost a lot less to do. may be cool, or may be a bit 1990's. thoughts?

this is the colour i was thinking of. i will be fitting 185/60 R15 tyres too as the 195/45's hit my arch

and could only find gold paint!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

just to keep the progress rolling on and updates going, i did a bit more tidying up last night and repaired a couple of bits of rust i found in the footwells.

the biggest problem i have right now is the all 3 bodyshops that i deem good enough to use are too busy to even look at the car to quote!! not sure i will get to drive it too much this summer as time is trickling away, but i will be happy just to get it painted and moted to be fair. plenty more time to enjoy it.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

it may have taken forever but i have finally got the first bodyshop coming round tomorrow to quote for the respray. i f the price is right i will use them as i can't wait any longer!

in other news i have decided to take the beetle up to my sisters farm which will free up the garage so i can spend the winter rebuilding the rocco after the respray without the pressures of shit weather! so whilst the rocco is being sprayed i will also be tidying up the garage, paint floor and walls, new lighting, shelving etc to make the most out of the tiny space (1930's garage).

I'll keep you posted

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

It's always nice to work in a garage.... well it's until you need to open the doors wide! Carpet or cardboard on the wall will save the new paint.
Pictures please when you have some more :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

I have to say a gold mk2 would look epic!!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

hmm. not mine i'm afraid. just staying with brown! i'm really excited about getting a quote tomorrow. like, crazy excited. it has been so long and i am so happy to see some progress at last. i just hope they haven't got a 4 month waiting list!

my mate has agreed to lend me his car trailer too so can get the beetle out of the garage which will be great! just have to hope my sister doesn't move house before the rocco is done....

Just a shame the garage is so small really!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Well, he's been and gone. He said my filler work was 'pretty good' which is good enough for me. He seemed fairly pleased with the lack of parts on it too. He will supply a quote in a couple of days. The Bugger is that he won't be able to get it in until October earliest! At least I can get it booked in if the quotes ok. I expect £1500 so anything less and he gets the job! I bet its more though....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

bit of an update:

The chap i mentioned above never did get back to me with a price!

Anyhow, a new guy came over on sunday and is super keen as its a project that they would love on their portfolio and the kind of work they want to be doing (rather than accident repair). Their shop is super clean and they clearly take a lot of pride in their work.
After a bit of negotiating and working out bits that i need to do before its painted (rust repair underside of bonnet, remove sunroof and headlining- so not much) we agreed on £2600 for full respray inc all shuts, but excluding engine bay and interior, which is more than i had hoped but i think its a fair price and i also think i was being unrealistic. They will be taking it mid september and will need it for a month. He thinks it will be 10 full days work and £400 for the paint which actually makes it £200 a day which sounds quite cheap. He has also agreed to stone chip as per factory finish and will do 3 coats of laquer (instead of the normal 2) so i have enough to wet sand the whole car to get a mirror finish (wet sanding was an item that was removed from the original price to get it down a bit).

CANT WAIT!! may even get it done for next years nationals....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I did a little bit more. removed all the rust from the underside of the bonnet. lots of surface rust on the edges on the bracing, but it all came up clean, treated and given a coat of high zinc primer ready for the bodyshop. rubbish pic, but you get the idea

i was putting off doing this as very fiddly and only managed half of it in the end, but wire brushed all the paint and rust off, treated (why the metal looks black) and painted as above. it wasn't too bad really, again, just lots of surface rust. a few areas have gone through but i think they will be ok

then i was on a roll and wanted to remove the few bits of rust from the slam panel, got carried away and welded up all the holes too. I may do the big round ones but am undecided at the moment. i also left the ones at the front which let any water drain away. didn't really need doing, but while the welder was out i thought smoothing it made sense. so many holes and i have no idea what most are/were for!! again, wire brushed away rust and paint, welded, wire brushed, filler on bare metal, sand, coat of high zinc ready for the bodyshop. I need to shape it a bit more, but not far off.

My build thread: