Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
steve bain

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by steve bain »

I Got bored waiting for my arches so I cut all the bad out of the old ones, then cut the bad out of the inner arch, then chopped out the rot at the back of cill...which there was a lot of!...and starting making up the repair panels. It got a bit late to do weldibg and grinding so tomorrow I will do that. Pics tomorrow.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
G Beats
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by G Beats »

OK coolio. Well some times you have to wait for these parts my brother.I really really hope you can have her done for your wedding in September this year.We have been married 14 years this October and we meet in 96.This is what I have all so been doing since 2007 https://soundcloud.com/geebeats-1 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjchxh ... h0g/videos
Peace for now Gee Beats.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Got the tracking details off Chris and my arches left Brussels at 2am yesterday. Hoping they arrive in UK today..... Not long now....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I got bored of waiting for my arches to arrive before cutting so just started cutting. All the rot has to come out anyway. Just checked and my arches are now in the uk and have been dispatched towards devon. Yay!

Not looking too clever!

These are the ‘professional’ repairs I had done about 15 years ago. Amazing what filler hides

Wow…just wow!

Rear cill / valance area…rot chopped out

Cut out the rust, bad reapirs and dents. Actually left with more arch than I thought I would! Lost a bit of the inner arch too so will need to rebuild that all the way around.

Front of arch / rear of side cill…not as bad as I thought actually

I’m sure I shouldn’t be able to see that! Lots and lots of metal to replace around here. I cut out all of the rot and starting making the repair plates. Hopefully get those welded in tonight ready for fitting the arches

That’s it for today. I forgot to get the photos of the repair sections, but will do that tonight when they are welded in. not far from this one being good and solid really…

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

arches and joggle arrived today! can't wait until sunday....whole day of car fixing :)

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

it was chucking it down so i set up a little nest. I had to fit the towbar to the T5 first too which slowed progress! But the tailgate gave me extra roof.
you can see my garage in the background, but the beetles in there!

I welded up the rear of the cill, making about 4 layers of new metal. No photos though.

cut the old arch out

test fitted new arch and joggled the edge (photo was taken beofre joggling). I painted everything in weld through hi zinc primer. Maybe it doesn't make much difference, but if it helps a bit it must be worth it.

test fitted the bodykit following advice on here and it fits very well so I am happy with that.

welded it in and gave it a coat of high zinc primer. The joggling did not create enough of a step and so the two layers are not as flush as i would like. Maybe 1mm step (looks worse in photo than in reality), but i decided that a bit of filler will sort it and it is under the bodykit. I was tempted to cut it out and try again but decided i may just make it worse! The important thing is it is solid and rust free.

Anyone else doing this, i would recommend butt welding which is how i will do the other side. I was not impressed with the joggler. Hole punch was great though!

Just need to finish the inner arch and the bit in the cill and this side is done. I also sliced the top of the arch back flush between 10 and 2 (like on a clock) and I will weld the inner arch to the outer arch. This will allow my wheels to be as far out as possible. you can just about see the 10o clock slice in the last photo

anyway. i have only the rest of this arch and arch on the other side, few bits here and there and then off for paint. yay!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

and just for memories sake. here she is when i was 17 or so when i paid £130 for her...with mot and tax!

check out my old reanult!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

and after the first restoation

sorry! just looking through old pics so thought i would share!

My build thread:
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

That's when we last seen her my brother or around this time 06-07 , 07-08 Bristol Volks fest.She is coming on you put in the Work in you get the results like any thing in life.But as long as you got the space to do it and the tools and you know what you are doing this can happen of course.We have not here.Keep on with it I see it is She is starting to come together. Peace for now my Brother.Gee Beats.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

bit more progress. I am trying to keep chipping away.

Inner arch fully welded and seam sealed. I gave a quick go over with a bit of filler too just to give myself a warm fuzzy feeling. The body shop can finish it off and get the shape perfect

Not many pics, but for comparison,
Front before from side

Front after – needs painting still but considering how much is new I thought it looked quite well blended in. obviously all the rot in the inner cill cut out and replaced. This photo makes it look nowhere near as bad as it was!

And my 2mm lip v- basically the thickness of the metal! Note the tabs for the bodykit screws like the front arches but only 2 screws up.

That’s all for now. Expect to get this side finished tonight completely as have to do a copy bits on the cill, then onto the pass side.

getting there...

My build thread:
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

body work can be long hard and sloggy.. keep it up!

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Cheers buddy. It's getting there. I think the other side is less rusty and I know how to do it now :) just gotta keep chipping...

My build thread:
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Keep it going Steve you are getting there.Peace for now Gee Beats.