The Roccie Horror Show

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 16v MK2 Scirocco

Post by eefy »

Loving the new living room furniture mate ;)

isaidthephil

Re: 16v MK2 Scirocco

Post by isaidthephil »

Thats Roccie's cockpit gutted, I just need to remove the central locking pump from the petrol cap tomorrow;

I have also got all the wiring plumbed into Frankenstein and started to put all the interior in. I just need to sort out the central locking which may be a faff as the new shell has been de-locked. I have bought a keyless fob kit which I am looking to adapt slightly to work with the factory setup;

Tomorrow I will attempt to sort all the central locking out and whack the door cards on. I will then also start to move some of the others bits over off Roccie such as the brakes etc :)

It's coming together slowly but surely.

isaidthephil

Re: The Roccie Horror Show

Post by isaidthephil »

Last week I managed to get all the electrics and interior moved over to Frankenstein :) The final pieces were the central locking and electric windows which were all suprising easy :) The only issue I have really come across is that my green Rocco had full factory central locking which locked the petrol flap whereas my new black shell appears to be a povert model meaning it doesn't have the latch / hole for the lock to work. For now I have fitted all the locking mech into the body and am going to have the flap off my green on sprayed up and then drill the hole in the body for the lock to work. I will take some pics this weekend to show the different between the two. It's probably all common knowledge but I am sure it will be useful to somebody.

Another issue I came across was that my new shell has been completely delocked and the previous owner didn't used to lock it. This personally isn't something I want to do SO what I have done is buy an aftermarket keyless kit and am going to wire that into my factory central locking. Fingers crossed this should be pretty simple and will do the job alot better than fitting full aftermarket central locking.

This weekend I have managed to borrow an engine crane meaning I will be fitting all the engine bay bits and pieces along with all the brake :) I would then be in a position to fire the old boy up however the guy that I bought my carbs and manifold off a while ago appeared to be a bit of a numpty and for some reason drilled some random breather holes into the manifold. Currentlly these are just connected to eachother with a piece of pipe which I am not happy with so it is being shipped off to be welded up and skimmed. I should have it all up and running then for next week ready to book in for an MOT the week after :) woop woop.

I will post some more pics / updates tomorrow.

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

The random holes maybe vacuum take offs balanced across all 4 cylinders for the brake servo, or do you already have something to connect the servo too?

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

That's the weird bit as it does already have somewhere for the servo to connect to on the side. They are a bit random and bodged, I will take a pic when I have it off next week.

But thanks for the heads up just in case.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I did used to lock it.
Technically.
I pressed the button on the fob, everyone saw me do it

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Haha pretty much like me and my daily and that actually has locks.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

This morning I awoke to yet more rain and wind BUT I only had my engine crane for the weekend so I had to get our there and get it done!! So between showers I jumped outside and pushed Frankenstein out of the back yard on to the road ready for the heart transplant;

To my surprise the sun came out :D today was a good day.

I then began to remove some bits and bobs from Roccie such as the Carbs, radiator etc before the god send that is my brother turned up :) We then got stuck in removing the drive shafts, gear linkage blah blah blah. Thankfully due to it all being out about 12 months ago for the rebuild it all came off pretty easy minus one shitty bolt in one drive shaft BUT some grips soon sorted that :)

We then hooked up the crane and began to remove the engine mounts (again nice and easy) We then removed the gear box and dropped it to the ground as it wasn't going to come out of the top, before then lifting the engine out of the top.

Then about 30 minutes later it was in Frank :)

I now have a Flinstones 4 x 4esque Rocco;

That's about as far as i got today, I just wanted to get the engine out and in whilst I had the crane and an extra pair of hands. The inlet manifold has now been removed ready to be welded and I an going to crack on with the other little bits and bobs this week when I get time :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Bonjour all,

Just a quick update, the car is progressing slowly but surely. Sadly I have been lacking time due to training for a bike ride, shitty weather and stripping the old beast. i am hoping to get a full weekend on it this week and get it to a point i can turn the key :) It won't be ready to drive i don't think as i need to make a brake line and bleed the brakes but it should be pretty close. You never know though I may progress more than i think :)

Updates and pics to follow next week :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Soooo another quick update.

Due to a lack of time still I haven't really put as much time into the motor as I would have liked. He is now all wired up and I have turned the key....... with no prevail :( Not all bad though. He turned over etc however for some reason I'm not getting a spark. Also a couple of other issues such as when I turn the lights on they're on high beam and I can't flick them to standard and my left indicators aren't working, they just make a buzzing sound. All teething problems though which I will get round to looking at :) I was just happy it didn't blow up haha.

Any one of the main reason's i haven't had any time is I have had to move house so have been busy moving and decorating :S boring shit!! but today I had my beast moved to the new house meaning I am happy now. Please excuse how dirty he is :s my old house (where he has been for a week or so) is having a load of work done which is kicking up lot of crap.

I can't wait to finally get him running, cleaned up and lowered some more. Then i can pay some attention to the inside and get the back boarded out and new head lining in :)

Slow and steady wins the race so they say.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Earlier this week I got the old boy running :) I had a bit of an issue with the wiring that runs to the coil as i stupidly didn't take note when removing.

Anyway after mithering a couple of people I managed to get the answer I needed and found that I was missing a cable, the most important cable too lol. After some digging it turned up hooked under my brake servo :s after some fetling I got it all connected up and boom it fired up pretty much straight away :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF79XSdWQU

I have a couple of electrical faults inside which I need o sort but once they are done i should be good to MOT etc :) bish bash bosh!!

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

So..... I finally commited to a unit a few weeks ago. Money I didn't really want to spend BUT now I am in there I love. Car is out of the elements and I can work on it whenever :) Due to the motor not quite being road legal yet it had to make another journey on the back of a truck :( this time I took the time to raise the front suspension to make life easier :)

And we're in and back down to earth :)

I am sharing with a couple of mates. Two are building 1.8t MK2 Golfs and the other is building a 1.8t MK1 Golf. I am the complete odd one out building a MK2 Scirocco with a 1.8 16v on bike carbs :) I like different.

Little_bro
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Little_bro »

Nice looking project. I'm sure I know you. Are you phill who use to have the silver 5 door mk1?

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

haha yeah that's me =) good memory. Guessing I know your or have met you at some point?

Little_bro
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Little_bro »

It's matt from winsford near weatherspoons with the ratty vdubs. Doing a mk2 scirocco myself. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything. I've got brake forming tools if you need some brake pipe making and a compressor.