'77 Mk1 Scirocco GLS: Project patina time!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
G60MAT
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: '77 Mk1 Scirocco GLS: 2012 project time!

Post by G60MAT »

Thanks for the comments guys, wheels are being worked on... ;)
Done some more cleaning tonight and some of the chrome has cleaned up real well already...

Winston - maybe I should rename it Project Patina! :hugegrin:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Got some more cleaning done this week, but no major progress this weekend due to all the snow! :dash:

Ah well at least the Rocco is tucked away in the garage now...

Still sourcing a few bits I need, have a wiper motor and drivers mirror on the way.

The boot is full of "goodies" that came with the car but the struts are shot so the high chance of head injuries each visit lead me to brand new gas struts from SGS - good price and came next day!

Also a few bits to start to improve the interior - after the major clean that's still needed...

Now to get all this snow melted and get back in the garage for some real work on the car...

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Been debating on wheels for a few weeks, the Mk1 Pirelli wheels that the car came on are sold as I was never a fan of them. The car will eventually run G60 brakes so the choice is either 15" or 16" for all new addition...

Looked at a few sets of Corrado G60 BBS one piece rims but never got a set for the right price. Picked up a set of G60 steels which lasted a week and never even made it on the car - now on a mates Caddy. Looked hard at some Porsche rims and then by accident found these, something very different indeed...

They are Impul Silhouette 15 x 6.5" a Japanese JDM retro wheel. I've never seen another set and picked them up from a lad in Leeds who had personally imported them from Japan $$$$ ;) Bad news is they are white (for now) but tyres are good (for now) I have all the centre caps and critically they are 4x100!

Hoping to get them on tomorrow...

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Impuls - very tasty indeed.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Spent Sunday afternoon doing a few bits on the car so thought finally time to see what some of these rims look like...

All in the rear arches although filthy look in pretty good shape as does underneath...

Cheeky try of a a mates Porsche 928 16" rims with 165/40/16 tryres...

Like the look and well impressed with the FK adapters, very light and very well made - perfect fit, good to see the "tuck" option for the future! ;)

Then moved on the Impuls - tyres profile is too high and they look awful in white but wanted to see what they looked like...

Front arches look a fair bit worse but new wings will be going on eventually...

Pleased for now and work pending, get some more jobs sorted this week... :good:

Winston

Post by Winston »

The 928's look really good but I think thats all down to the tyres!?.. Did you try them on the front? what size adaptors?

The Impuls are fully awesome and a gret find.. I can't wait to see them with some low profile rubber :chill:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Cheers mate, tyres are mega stretched, only tried the back using FK 25mm, think the 928's are ET60 so it brings them down a lot! Pic was straight off the jack so would tuck well when settled and coilies adjusted! ;)

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Well the battle has begun to get the car back on the road and MOT'd, battery charged, new fuel in, plugs in and it nearly fires but after several hours of trouble shouting its gets to about 99% but just won't fire into life! :(

Sourced a few parts that should help, new coil and gone for the AccuSpark electronic ignition kit to be fitted later in the week. Got all the wheels on and ordered a few more service parts. Finally also fitted the new boot gas struts and emptied the boot.

Under all the rubbish, bit dirty, but solid...

Then after a proper clean, its mint, well pleased...

Boot all fixed, old springs heading for disposal and work in progress, looks tiny compared to my Audi! ;)

Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

Looking very good mad wheel choice, how will you be painting/polishing them?

So many plans, so little time
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Bonusrocco wrote:Looking very good mad wheel choice, how will you be painting/polishing them?
Cheers, not sure exactly, but will be silver or polished, running a lower profile tyre. The centre caps are not that special so also thinking of getting some custom centre caps made up... :vcool:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Some more work on the car this afternoon, after clearing the garage, selling a few wheels a few more turned up... :shocking:

Then after spending a third afternoon trying the get the car running, still no joy! :dash:

Chased everything, car turns over fine, plugs are fine, fitted the Accuspark electonic ignition kit, new coil, plugs are fine and get wet, spark is fine, we can see the fuel going into the carb and it gets to 99% but just doesn't fire into life. I've got the dreaded Pierburg original carb so now thinking of rebuilding this or biting the bullet and getting a Weber?

big nick

Post by big nick »

I remember that corrado from when you used to live between the library and the park in heaton moor - not seen the car for a while so I'm guessing you've moved now? Lovely Mk1 by the way, you should join up with manc:union (we have a facebook) and come to some meets!

Nick

do I really want a carb'd valver? answers on a postcard...
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

big nick wrote:I remember that corrado from when you used to live between the library and the park in heaton moor - not seen the car for a while so I'm guessing you've moved now? Lovely Mk1 by the way, you should join up with manc:union (we have a facebook) and come to some meets!

Nick
Cheers Nick, yeah moved up the road a few months ago, the Corrado is up for sale so I can focus on the Rocco, yeah might pop down to a meet, already on the FB page! ;)

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

After all the trauma of getting the car started decided to turn elsewhere and get the interior cleaned! To remind you, the car was last on the road in 1992 so has been stood a very long time with all the damp getting in it was complete but not too pretty...

I've been all over the car twice now and its far from finished, but plenty of cleaning products later, it looks like this...

Pretty pleased with the results so far, all the switches and even the radio works perfectly, only real damage is the the carpet so now on the look out for a new carpet...

The back of the car was full of glass, where clearly the drivers side rear window had been put through, but its been replaced well with a genuine new window, usually dirt and rubbish now all removed. Will do a full seats out wet and dry vac etc once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Back on the real jobs later in the week... :cards:
Last edited by G60MAT on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

Thats come up minty! Nothing better than a day cleaning interior. What product did you use on the headlining?

So many plans, so little time