'77 Mk1 Scirocco GLS: Project patina time!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mark83
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: '77 Mk1 Scirocco GLS: Project patina time!

Post by mark83 »

g60 should be very nice, all these wheels lol still prefer the impul's :vcool:

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Cleaned the Modena's up yesterday, came up great, really nice wheels but decided I prefer the sets I have already, now in the For Sale section... :blush: :vcool:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Been busy at work, but managed to make a few purchases, now have a full set of centre caps and a couple of spares for the 16"s and a few other bits on the way... :cards:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Sadly not too much progress on the rocco lately as took on a couple of new projects: the Trimsport business and this rather tidy TT (new plate coming soon)... :vcool:

Chased a few other bits I need and picked this up to tie in with the EMPI sunshades a proper old school metal plateholder...

Having spoken to both Ian and Winston recently, us Mk1 owners do seem to get easily distracted... :chortle: :hugegrin:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

So continuing the US theme I managed to pick this rather tasty vintage hotrod STOP light up during last months trip to the US! :vcool:

In other news the Impuls are up at Mike the Polisher, have been dipped and are now waiting for the man to work his magic! :hugegrin:
Plus i've finally managed to do a deal on private plate that should suit perfectly once the paperwork is sorted!

mark83

Post by mark83 »

Look forward to seeing the impuls after Mike has finished with them . :vcool:

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

So as the weather was pretty good this weekend, dragged the rocco out of storage and down to a mates workshop today for a full service and MOT...

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

So as the Rocco love is reignited managed to finally sort a plate that i've been chasing for nearly a year that should set it off well and is year and plate correct! :)

Plus had confirmation today that the Rocco is now running!!! :)

volkswalker
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by volkswalker »

Nice reg!!

Westdubber

Post by Westdubber »

Great to see the 'rocco out and about Matt!
Cool reg too!!

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Thanks guys, Rocco is still at my mates workshop and whilst running we think its really time to take the tank off and get all the grime out of it as its killing fuel filters at eh moment! ;)

In other news a roadtrip in the next few days should confirm major upgrades for the car! :)

mark83

Post by mark83 »

G60MAT wrote:Thanks guys, Rocco is still at my mates workshop and whilst running we think its really time to take the tank off and get all the grime out of it as its killing fuel filters at eh moment! ;)
Got the same problem with mine, need to drop the tank out .I am going to use a POR tank sealer kit from frosts to try and solve the problem for good.

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

So things have taken a more serious turn, when I spotted this for sale last week...

Although I had a good G60 engine lined up, this makes more sense as its now a damaged but complete car that's only covered 60k! Its been off road bent the passenger side sill and had a small fire from the fuel lines, but not damaged sump, electrics or interior. I've had the car inspected by Danny Allen (legendary Orange MK1 Golf) earlier this week and he's given it the big thumbs up!

From the ad...
- Engine
Complete rebuild back in 2007 with new everything. All the alloy brackets for the charger, alternator and all ancillary pulleys and mounts have been shot cleaned and restored to original factory look. The charger and brackets have been restored by Darren at the late G-Werks. Includes a new alternator, water pump, all belts and pulleys, all bolted back together with stainless nuts and bolts throughout. The intercooler is standard with new stainless clips on original pipework, a few of the water pipes and intercooler pipes have been upgraded to Samco Silicon.

- Internals
The internals, pistons, bearings, cylinder bores were all checked for signs of wear and found to be in excellent condition. The sump was replaced after a leak was found and a few stone chips started rusting. The head gasket and all ancillary exhaust gaskets and inlet seals were replaced as part of the head rebuild.

- Head
The head was rebuilt in 2009 after a suspected head gasket fail. It was found to be a faulty water pump seal. The head was professionally flowed, polished and rebuilt by Oselli racing in Oxford. They've worked on several of my engines in the past including 16v KR and B series engines, their workmanship is second to none. The head work alone added a huge difference to the throttle response and overall torque curve.

- Inlet
Fully overhauled throttle body with new microswitches, gaskets and springs. The fuel rail wiring also received an upgrade.

- Exhaust
The exhaust system is a G-Werks 4-2-1 stainless manifold hooked unto a Milltek Sport system. 3" oval tailpipe, with a bespoke de-cat centre pipe and lambda probe boss. Slightly tinny on warm-up when the manifold is cold but soon calms down. Not at all loud on the open road, one thing I was very concerned about when upgrading the exhaust, the Milltek system has the standard size mufflers and bore making the system flow much quicker without compromising on sound.

- Electrics
The vast majority of the engine bay wiring looms were replaced and updated. New battery terminals and fuse relays for the interior and upgraded earth connections throughout. All stock of course, nothing overly modified or butchered.

- Charger
Rebuilt by G-Werks back in 2008 and once again checked in 2010. The internals have been de-burred and lightly ported but not overly worked, I believe this is a light stage 2 porting. It's had the wider belt conversion done and lighter smaller main pulley (70mm). G-Werks also installed an SNS chip to compliment the charger, exhaust and aid in fuel consumption.

- Chassis
I decided to replace all the original suspension with a Weitec GTN kit, which combines height adjustable coil-overs up front and adjustable spring mounts at the rear. Along with the suspension upgrade all the wishbones, track-rod-ends, bushes, nuts and bolts were all replaced with OEM parts.

- Rear axle
The rear axle is or was the next thing to restore on my list. Although in excellent working order it's the only part I haven't refurbished. Saying that the hubs where replaced with the suspension/brake job. Again, as with most parts I have a perfect condition rear axle to bolt on but this will not be done for the sale.

- Front axle
As you can from the pix this was fully rebuilt and powered coated back in 2011 after the steering rack seals failed. A new steering rack was fitted at the time along with yet more new steering parts, bushes, bolts and fixings.

- Brakes
New callipers front and back along with pads, discs, Goodrich hoses and wheel bearings back in 2009/2010. With a good few european shows covered through 2009 - 2011, they're all still in excellent condition despite a small amount of surface rust. The ABS system works perfect.

- Interior
Original Corrado G60 leather option back in 1992. The rear seats are near perfect condition still with original warning triangle in the zipped pocket and NOS unopened first-aid kit in the armrest. The drivers bolsters are all good with minimal signs of wear and the height-adjust mechanisms work perfectly.

The whole interior has been stripped out, washed, steamed and anti-bacterially treated. Nothing has snapped or teared, it's all there in excellent condition. All the dashboard switches and light bulbs are working as they should. The slide n tilt sunroof, wing mirrors, rear fog, electric windows all work without fault. Momo Race steering wheel and the original G60 leather wheel in perfect condition.

Its also has various other goodies, but basically I'll be using Engine, Gearbox, Brakes and maybe a few other bits... ;)
Last edited by G60MAT on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eefy

Post by eefy »

Lots of toys to play with on that!!!!! will the seats be going in as well?

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

eefy wrote:Lots of toys to play with on that!!!!! will the seats be going in as well?
Likely not, think i'm gonna stick with old skool oem for the interior... Modern(ish) 190BHP power with old skool looks! :)