Redroc reboot

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Redroc reboot

Post by mr.brown »

OK, for those of you unfamiliar with the history of this car, I bought it in 2004 after having scoured classifieds for many months across the UK. That year, only 3 mk1s came up for sale - I bought 2 and Autoad bought one. He later bought my other one - and a serial Rocco purchasing friendship was born!

Shortly after purchasing the bog standard GLi the modification bug bit hard and a few months later it had it's first and only show outing at GTI International - sporting coil overs (from the badass Bassboy boom box), custom debadged grille, Ronal Turbos and the world's first set of clear indicators.

Other pics from the same era (this time on 15" Estorils) - big thanks to Rob aka "Musicman" for keeping these pics alive - and looky who's next to mine..

At the time it was still running the dependable original 1.6i but this was about to change (as was my financial status...). This was my "other" Scirocco, one owner FSH, modified

The engine from this was destined to become the donor and so it was consigned to the great Scirocco scrapyard in the sky (or Shanghai - I can never remember which). Redroc still runs the wheel bearing housings from this car but alas the engine was only a temporary fixture.

So, the great engine conversion saga began - the car went from 1.8 to 1.8 16v to 2.0 16v and then to ITBs with standalone engine management. Finally, with a few finishing touches from the Phirm it came back on the road with a G60 in the summer of 2006. This is one of the versions -

and then the first appearance of the TV lights (hitherto only seen on Mickey Marrows masterpiece - also G60 based)

Other versions include

Not long after the G60 I had an epiphany whilst travelling at ridiculously high speeds on the A3 - the car was far too powerful for my temperament. So, the final incarnation under my ownership was a new Beetle 2.0 8v with 2,000 mile on it - from this car

Sadly, it never ran with that engine and the era of brown ownership ended. BUT as they say, this turned out to be a good thing. In fact, a VERY good thing.

The story continues here -

http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... f=19&t=171

So, roll on a few years, a Golf+ feature AND a PVW feature, and the car is now back back in my hands. Well, on my mum's drive 3000 miles away..

Hell yeah! :beers:

Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Redroc - reboot 10/3

Post by Ryan »

I love that Musiman pic of the rear :ok:

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

and the donor gtx re the 2.1 is on the background of one of the shots too methinks? tornado red on RA's?

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

GTXTRA wrote:and the donor gtx re the 2.1 is on the background of one of the shots too methinks? tornado red on RA's?
:shocking:

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

It is a beautiful car in it's many guises, it's Indian red isn't it? a lovely colour. Red never comes out the same in pictures :dunno:

IRC recognise that 'interesting' beetle from PVW a few years back.

Winston

Post by Winston »

Nice to know abit more history about the Redroc :vcool:

How many different engines?? haha any pics?

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

MacColl wrote:It is a beautiful car in it's many guises, it's Indian red isn't it? a lovely color. IRC recognise that 'interesting' beetle from PVW a few years back.
Yup, Indiana Red - I think that, gold and grey (platinum) were the only colors in 1980 :hugegrin:
Winston wrote: How many different engines?? haha any pics?
Sadly no pics, I had them all in one folder and lost it somewhere along the line. I think someone on here may have a pic of the G60 install? I think this is the 6th different engine - the next couple are already beyond the planning stage :vcool:

Bill

Re: Redroc reboot

Post by Bill »

I hope you have a large suitcase to Fit all the goodies in fella, :hugegrin:
Could it possibly get any cooler ? :hi:

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Is that the one from SCCH?

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

DT1 wrote:Is that the one from SCCH?
Yep.

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

it would seem redroc lost the world's first set of clear indicators along the way :whistle: great car and great history, I remember you telling me a fair few years back now, that there was only 2 sciroccos you would ever consider owning and you now own them both. :beers: :beers:

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

mr.brown wrote:
GTXTRA wrote:and the donor gtx re the 2.1 is on the background of one of the shots too methinks? tornado red on RA's?
:shocking:
It certainly is the redroc donor GTX:

The mantle passes back! It'll be fascinating to see what Mr.B does next with the car. Meanwhile, some more Redroc history in no particular order...

17" wheels!

The G60

The 2.1

Hell yeah again :beers:

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Awesome Ant - I thought some of those pics were gone forever. Seeing my front garden makes me miss home even more :crying:

:hugegrin:

@ Craig - I can't keep them both though, sadly. Maybe enough time for a magazine feature though :hehe:

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Well, it's home. :hugegrin:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

mr.brown wrote:Well, it's home. :hugegrin:
Whereabouts is home nowadays?
PM me?